2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (AndyOnThePiano2, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, 11 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
OP Offline
W
Over the past 8 months I've been wanting to accumulate as many pieces in my repertoire as possible, including the ambitious pieces such as the Black Key Etude, some of the more well known Mozart Sonatas, and others. However, I will do so at the cost of just learning it until I've completely memorized it. Many of the earlier pieces in my repertoire have been neglected. My ultimate goal is to improve finger dexterity, not necessarily add new pieces to my repertoire, though it is a certainly attractive option that may have deterred me from the above goal.
As far as improving finger dexterity, is it advisable to feverishly go on adding pieces OR work with what I already have?

W
OP Offline
W
in other words, should I know my limits? if so, how do I know my limits?

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
I'm not sure I understand your goal of "improving finger dexterity," or why it would conflict with adding pieces to your repertoire, or how an understanding of your limits relates to the issue.

I don't consider finger dexterity per se to be a technique, but rather as part of a basic skill set that also includes control, coordination, evenness, stamina, etc. I would think that they are naturally fundamental to all you do at the piano, whether it's learning repertoire or warming up with Hanon or Czerny.

Of course, the balance of those elements differs in different musical tasks. To the extent that you have control over the music you're adding to your repertoire, why not just try to include pieces (like, per your example, Chopin's "Black Key" etude) that will also challenge the techniques you want to improve upon?

Steven

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Wise Idiot:
Over the past 8 months I've been wanting to accumulate as many pieces in my repertoire as possible, [...] My [...] goal is [...] not necessarily add new pieces to my repertoire, [...]However, I will do so (learn new pieces?) [...]until I've completely memorized (them).
What, then, is your ultimate goal? Not to learn new pieces, but to learn as many new pieces as possible until you've memorized them?
[...] My ultimate goal is to improve finger dexterity, not necessarily add new pieces to my repertoire, though it is a certainly attractive option that may have deterred me from the above goal.
... deterred you from which "above" goal; adding new pieces or developing finger dexterity?

I have no idea what you are asking. Could you clarify?

Why don't you devote some of your practice time to working on technique (scales, arpeggios, technical exercises and technical pieces), as well as working on pieces that will help affirm your technique or show you what aspects of technique you need to continue to work on?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
You say many of the earlier pieces in your repertoire are neglected.
Instead of overburdening yourself why not refresh and polish some of these pieces.
I suspect you might be better off to consolidate fully what you have before striking out to newer pastures.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Just try dividing your practice time and devote a little time to resurrecting the old pieces. IMO practicing new, old, etc is going to improve your dexterity anyway.

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."
David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission