2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,461 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
OP Offline
V
Mendelssohn G minor
Mendelssohn D minor
Ravel G Major

I am considering these to learn. I have already done Mozart's D minor no.20 K.466. I am looking for a little of bit a challenge from the Mozart. Which one of the 3 do you like the most? Are any of them too hard for me? Thanks.

(Other pieces I am working on: Ravel Sonatine, Rach Prelude Op.23 and Beethoven Sonata 2/2.)

i thought i heard my washing machine playing Ondine
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
verywellmister :

I really don't understand your questions. What bearing would my saying which of those concerti I like best have on your choice? We may have entirely different tastes. Saying that you have already "done" Mozart's K466 and the other works you mentioned still doesn't really tell me whether any of these concerti are too difficult for you, because I don't know how long it took you to master these other works nor, indeed, if you have mastered them, and how proficiently you play them. Are they "performance-ready" now?

Are you learning the concerti for the purpose of playing them with an orchestra or with a second piano? The chances one gets to perform concerti are somewhat limited, as I'm sure you know.

It seems to me that the best resource to answer your questions is your teacher. S/He would best know your current skills and your potential for these works. As for liking them, you have to decide which one you like best.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Jeez, BruceD you love giving responses like this that are totally dismissive of the original post. Using your logic I could say that basically NOTHING posted on these forums has any kind of worth or pertinence. We're just having fun, and verywellmister just wanted to see what we thought about these concertos. Big deal. Of course we aren't able to form a perfectly accurate evaluation of his playing. That's not the point. Posts like this start threads that allow us to talk about our own experiences and what we think about these pieces.

As for my response to verywellmister:

I would play the Mendelssohn D minor. It's a great piece and not played as often as the other two. I think all three would be challenging but not out of your league technically, based on the other pieces you play.

“The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful? And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.”
-John Cage
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
The Ravel is a really cool piece, but it might be too difficult - stick with the Mendelsohn. The G minor is particularly good IMO.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
If I could learn any one of them, personally I would choose the Ravel, although they are all wonderful.

Sam
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I would choose the Ravel as well. Its wonderful and filled with color.

"Beauty is unbearable, drives us to despair, offering us for a minute the glimpse of an eternity that we should like to stretch out over the whole of time."

-Albert Camus,

Jim
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Having just learned the Mendelssohn G minor, I'm a little biased towards that one, but the D minor is amazing also. I like the Ravel, but the D minor is much better imo.

I vastly prefer the Ravel musically, but I don't know exactly how hard it is...
Mozart is very hard to play WELL. If you can really make it sound good, that's an accomplishment.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Out of those three I prefer Ravel, but the Ravel has a difficult orchestra part, so keep that in mind if you are trying to play it with a school orchestra.

Yes, VERY good point! I played a Mozart with my school orchestra, and they did a nice job with it. Another girl played Prokofiev 3 with them, and she was awesome, but the orchestra totally bombed it.

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Doesn't the Ravel require a (good) harpist as well? They are fairly hard to come by in a smaller orchestra.

The Ravel is a wonderful piece and the 2nd movement is one of the most moving pieces I feel has been composed. However, it is true that the Ravel requires a good orchestra. You might want to consider Saint Saens's concerti instead. They are challenging for the pianist and manageable for most school orchestras.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission