2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (Animisha, admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 4 invisible), 1,175 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#379928 12/27/08 09:12 AM
N
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
This is a question to all you accompanists out there ... Is there a certain instrument you favor when it comes to accompanying?

#379929 12/27/08 10:34 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Saxophone, Violin, Trombone, and good Vocalists, because the literature is good and they tend to cut through better (so you don't have to walk on eggshells because of balance.)

My least favorite is probably Clarinet, because you have to play very softly and because their literature isn't as strong (except the 2 Brahms sonatas, which I always like playing.) Horn and Bass are also a problem for similar reasons.

Flute is a toss-up. On one hand, there's some really good literature out there (particularly the Bach sonatas and the contemporary sonatas by Martinu, Muczynski, Feld, Prokofiev, and Liebermann.) On the other hand, if you don't get a flute player with a strong sound, you can't really let loose on anything.

Viola is another toss-up. Good literature, tough to balance.

And nothing is worse than a bad singer - the kind who has no sense of rhythm and needs you to teach them their part. That gets old really fast!

I've played very little Oboe or Cello literature, so I can't really comment on those two.

Choirs also fall into the category of tremendous fun if they're good, terrible pain if they're bad. The conductor makes a huge difference, too.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
#379930 12/27/08 11:12 AM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Well, of course the ultimate for any instrument is to emulate the human voice, so I'd have to say a singer. But as Kreisler suggests, don't bother working with a singer who is not also a competent musician (i.e. learns their own notes and rythms and has a good sense of pitch). Being a singer myself, though, I could be biased towards voice. As for vocal repertoire, the one that is really fun for both pianist and singer is Mahler's Des Knaben Wunderhorn.

As for choirs, I have to disagree about the conductor making a "huge difference." The conductor/director makes ALL the difference. I've sung in two productions of Traviata for which the ONLY difference was the director. Same chorus members, most of us principals were the same as well. With one director, it was a fabulous production. With the other, it was embarrassing, especailly the chorus' sound and execution. In fact, an execution of the chorus would have almost been warranted.

SantaFe_Player
Heels down, and tickle the bit.
#379931 12/27/08 12:49 PM
I gotta say, some instruments are definitely more enjoyable than others. Flutes are rather enjoyable, was able to accompany three of them for juries this semester.

I'd definitely agree with Kreisler about clarinets, but I do love the timbre of the instrument. Brass instruments aren't as hard to balance, but I don't like the literature much. Tubas aren't really that great as far as that's concerned. Trumpets have some fun repertoire but there's not really baroque literature for them...(they didn't reach their modern form 'til somewhat later correct?)

Violins are definitely fun, but I've only had the privilege of accompanying one so far, playing one movement of Mozart's violin sonata in E minor. Vocalists however are just so cool, especially if they have a powerful voice to work with and are good musicians. However like any instrument, working with a bad one is not that pleasant, same thing for choirs, because then you have even more 'instruments' to worry about.

-Piano Instructor since 2008-
#379932 12/27/08 01:44 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by AdlerAugen:
Trumpets have some fun repertoire but there's not really baroque literature for them...(they didn't reach their modern form 'til somewhat later correct?)
Valves came into use in the early 19th century. There is a baroque repertoire for trumpet, though. Baroque trumpet parts were often written in the highest part of the range where the overtones are close enough together to allow melodic playing. Nowadays, these are usually played on the piccolo trumpet. I'm not sure about sonatas for trumpet and basso continuo, but orchestral trumpet parts are abundant and there's a good number of trumpet concerti around.

I have an ice cream. I cannot mail it, for it will melt.
#379933 12/27/08 01:59 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Violinists (of the half-asian variety, apparently).

"I'm a concert pianist--that's a pretentious way of saying I'm unemployed at the moment."--Oscar Levant

http://www.youtube.com/kojiattwood
https://www.giftedmusicschool.org/
#379934 12/27/08 02:30 PM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Those of us who do occasional accompanying - as opposed to those who do it regularly and/or professionally - is that our experience may be baised depending on the musicians we have worked with.

My "problem" with the violinists I have worked with so far is that none of them has had really good intonation - passable, yes, but not excellent - and that has, understandably, tainted my experience.

I guess, being a "wannabe" singer at heart - but unable to sing a note! - I enjoy most accompanying a good singer, and I have had the experience of working with some fine ones.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
#379935 12/27/08 02:33 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by BruceD:
My "problem" with the violinists I have worked with so far is that none of them has had really good intonation, and that has, understandably, tainted my experience.

I guess, being a "wannabe" singer at heart - but unable to sing a note! - I enjoy most accompanying a good singer, and I have had the experience of working with some fine ones.

I'm no accompanist, but as a listener of all kinds of music, I feel your pain about violinists with poor intonation. mad :t:

Singers with poor intonation drive me nuts too.

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
#379936 12/27/08 02:48 PM
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Choirs are my favorite. Just because the choir I usually accompany is very strong and you get to let loose quite often.

Matt

#379937 12/27/08 10:27 PM
N
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
Thank you for that insight. I am a vocalist/pianist ... you know sometimes singers are flat because pianists play too slow and don't give them enough breathing space! :p

Don't you think sometimes ... when a vocalist has no sense of time ... what has the teacher done?

Does any one like lieder? I have found some friends that want to collaborate with me, I wonder as accompanists is there ever a time where you have choice in the repertoire choosing process? With friends I always have them affirm pieces.

Haha, you know sometimes I think as far as intonation goes, I feel like telling pianists "you don't know what it takes to sing the right notes, try to sing a long phrase, support it and not go flat" ... or switching registers! Sometimes people think that it is just a matter of hearing things, sometimes it's physical. Sorry about the rant ... got a little OT then.

Well anyways ... singers are known to be the crazy eccentric extraverts, whist pianist are the complete opposites!

#379938 12/27/08 11:15 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Oh, I love lieder. I'm really just beginning to appreciate the genre, though. Any pointers as to "must listen" music in this category would be appreciated. smile

#379939 12/27/08 11:57 PM
N
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
Ohh yes!
Schubert is so famous for his lieder. One piece I just worked on was -
Here are some Scubert Lieders I reccommend:
Du Bist Die Ruh. Its a short piece with repeated verses and little variations, it's a real sensual initmate and beautiful piece about coming home to that special love one and spending the time with that

Rastlose Liebe Goethe - this is a dramatic short piece that follows "Gretchen am Spinrade" you can hear the tensions in the music through the accompaniment and melody. Gretchen am Spinrade is a well known own where the piano imitates the action of the spinning wheel.

Erlkonig - Everyone loves this one, the accompaniment is fast virtuoso stuff, with powerful bass octaves pounding, this conveys the galloping of the horse with the father and son escaping through the night and storm to escape. Another dramatic lieder . The tension climbs as there are modulations going tones higher.

Here are some classical period ones ...

An Chloe - Is a charming piece by Mozart, simple balanced structure with repeated verses and nice piano accompaniment.

Terzett: Das Bandel - Another Mozart Lieder, it is meant for three singers. Fun to listen to.

Adelaide - Beethoven lieder, sweet song about a girl. (obvious by the title).

Some 20th century songs
Tit for Tat - (song cycle) Benjamin Britten, tales of childhood - the colour in the accompaniment is very pretty, gernally very contented work, nice and relaxing to listen to.

A Song of Shadows - Armstrong Gibbs, poetry is so beautiful ..., as an impresionistic/romantic feel to it.

That should keep you occupied! Do you speak or understand any German?

#379940 12/28/08 12:02 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Unfortunately I don't speak German, and I understand only a few words on hearing. I've heard Der Erlkoenig, BTW. I have a text to that one in English and German so I understood it. wink

Thanks for your recommendations. I will keep them in mind as I increase my recording collection. smile

I guess I'll need to obtain texts for all of them, though, if I hope to fully understand them.

#379941 12/28/08 12:52 AM
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally posted by Rebekah.L:
Erlkonig - Everyone loves this one, the accompaniment is fast virtuoso stuff, with powerful bass octaves pounding, this conveys the galloping of the horse with the father and son escaping through the night and storm to escape. Another dramatic lieder . The tension climbs as there are modulations going tones higher.
Rebekah, you will find "Erlkonig" all over the place on the net, but it's very wrong.

Der Erlkoenig or Erlkönig, if you have the umlaut. That different character is really important. You can always type "oe" if you don't have "ö". smile

#379942 12/28/08 01:03 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
laugh I'll edit my post...

#379943 12/28/08 01:08 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Horowitzian:
Unfortunately I don't speak German, and I understand only a few words on hearing. I've heard Der Erlkoenig, BTW. I have a text to that one in English and German so I understood it. wink

Thanks for your recommendations. I will keep them in mind as I increase my recording collection. smile

I guess I'll need to obtain texts for all of them, though, if I hope to fully understand them.
I am totally in love with this song.

Practice makes permanent - Perfect practice makes perfect.
#379944 12/28/08 01:15 AM
I don't really 'dislike' any particular instruments, I'm pretty happy working with another person, as it's a nice change from solo stuff all the time!
Although, when I was practicing with my trumpet playing friend last year, we could only work together in one of the tiny practice rooms at uni. She had forgotten her music one day and had to play looking over my right shoulder. I think if I ever go deaf, it'll be my right ear to go first! smile
I also like accompanying cellos.

"I write music with an exclamation point!" - Richard Wagner
#379945 12/28/08 01:21 AM
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
laugh I'll edit my post...
It's like schon and schön/schoen. Totally different pronunciation. wink

#379946 12/28/08 01:22 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Gary D.:
[b] laugh I'll edit my post...
It's like schon and schön/schoen. Totally different pronunciation. wink [/b]
Thanks for the pointer, though. How does one type the wee dots over the "o"?

#379947 12/28/08 01:30 AM
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally posted by Gary D.:
[b]
[b] laugh I'll edit my post...
It's like schon and schön/schoen. Totally different pronunciation. wink [/b]
Thanks for the pointer, though. How does one type the wee dots over the "o"? [/b]
I use a macro program for:

ä, ü, ö, ß, and so on. But you really don't need them. We used ae, ue, oe and ss for many years, before we could use more characters. So for something like Für Elise, Fuer Elise is just fine!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission