2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 11 invisible), 1,970 guests, and 340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
C
How do most of you feel before and after a performance? (During it also!) I am usually nervous and I try to avoid talking too much or overworrying. The only thing that scares me is if I forget something in the piece I am playing, even after a lot of preparation that feeling is always there. When I start to play, I am still nervous at first (Fingers shaking a bit, does this happen to others as well?) But soon I start to connect with the audience (I hope) and the nerves go away, then kind of turns into inspiration! Afterwards, I am full of joy and have a feeling of tremendous self-accomplishment. It truly is worth it after working hard and finally reaching my goals!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thats exactly how I am, I try not to talk to anyone and just relax and focus!
I don't think my fingers shake though.

Getting up to the piano is the hardest part.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My worst problem in performance is having my leg shake uncontrollably!
After i play, i am usually pretty hard on myself, though i don't really show it to my audiece, i just say my gracious "thank yous" after the performance. i then usually get nitty-gritty with my piano friends who also played, when we all moan and wail about how horrible our playing was. I think we are own worst critics, because i always think everyone else sounds fine but they insist they played horribly.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." ~Rachmaninoff
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have some rituals before every performance, but the one thing I make sure of is that no matter what, I don't make a big deal out of it. That way, I don't overfocus. I just imagine I'm a major concert pianist and this is just another performance. That way, I feel less nervous and I don't let the idea that I'm actually expected to hit 1000 notes accurately and on time in a 5 minute interval in front of 500, people get to me. If you think about it, that's a huge task.

24 hours before each concert, I don't have any coffee or soda and try to stay away from anything else that has caffeine and/or sugar in it. I believe this secretes your adrenaline, but whatever it does, it helps keep me calm before the performance. I make sure I'm well rested and in the morning, I run my hands through warm water, stretch, and then do all the major and minor scales at a really fast tempo. Finally, as close to the performance as possible, I play the piece at about 1/3 tempo, preferrably on the piano I'm supposed to perform on.

During the performance, I don't feel very confident until I'm well in there. Then I just try to listen to the beauty of the music and not overfocus or think about the audience.

At the end, I bow with confidence (even if I screwed up), take a deep breath, and then I don't touch the piano for the rest of the day.

Mike

A
Amy Offline
A
The last few performances I have not gotten nervous at all and during the performance I don't get nervous unless I start to forget my piece!! I flip out after every performance and shake and everything.

-Amy-
*Visit my page! http://www.expage.com/pianopalace
B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
Before the recital, you don't want to do it. After the recital, you want to do it again.

I can never sleep the night after a performance. After I play with an orchestra, I normally can't sleep for two days.

I usually just lay in bed with a horribile, throbbing headache telling myself how awful it was and how I should have gotten a computer science degree instead. Several Coronas usually feed the downtrodden mood. laugh Then, I listen to the recording and start to realize that maybe it wasn't as bad as I thought it was.

Usually, I am more nervous after a performance is over. It's such a tremendous release of energy (maybe that's why I get the headache...there's too much energy left and it all just gets absorbed into my system instead of being released). My hands never shake, but my mind sometimes wanders and I can't concentrate.

Depending on the piece, I either want to practice the next morning or just stop for a few weeks altogether. When I played the Liszt Sonata, I felt empty for almost a month, having achieved my primary inspiration for beginning the piano. It seriously felt like there was nowhere else to go, when, in fact, there was everywhere to go.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission