Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#381324 - 06/24/01 06:48 PM Question
CrashTest Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Is the difficulty of Liszt's "La Campanella" etude greater than his Hungarian Rhapsody #12? I have looked through both, and they have difficult parts, but I can't really tell which one is more demanding. Also, at about what level should someone be at one year of piano study? My brother has been playing for that long and is playing some stuff quite well, (1st and 2nd movement of Moonlight sonata, 1st Movement of Pathetique, Mozart's rondo alla turca, Military Polonaise among others) Thanks!

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#381325 - 06/25/01 07:13 AM Re: Question
magnezium Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Singapore
wow at 1 year's experience he's doing very well i think... the military polonaise isn't easy at all... some of my friends who have been playing for 8+ years have problems with it... either your brother has been practising really hard with a lot of enthusiasm or he's really talented...=]

[ June 25, 2001: Message edited by: magnezium ]

#381326 - 06/25/01 07:47 AM Re: Question
BruceD Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Crash Test:
Are you talking about original versions of these pieces that your brother is playing?

#381327 - 06/25/01 10:26 AM Re: Question
Brendan Offline

Loc: McAllen, TX
I'd probably say that the Rhapsody is harder than Campanella. I've never played either, but judging from the fact that the Rhapsody is twice as long and has more varied writing and character changes, it's safe to bet on it as the harder one. As for all of the octave passages that make Campanella feared, it just depends on how fast you can move your wrist.

Brendan

#381328 - 06/25/01 11:24 AM Re: Question
CrashTest Offline
4000 Post Club Member

All of the pieces he plays are the originals, and not simplified versions, every note is correct (I play them also), and very technically smooth, some harder parts still rough of course, but its getting there. He practices 4 or so hours a day (Hanon basically), is that too much or too little? He seems to be advancing very fast, but where should someone be at about one year? What level in piano would he be considered at? Thanks!

#381329 - 06/25/01 11:36 AM Re: Question
AndrewG Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Without seeing and hearing him play it's hard say. From what you described here I have a feeling that he is doing just fine as long as he does not experience pain or other disturbing discomfort in critical parts like the wrists, formarms.

One thing is for sure: he must be technically talented. For anyone to be able to tackle these pieces for just over a year is remarkable enough, if not phenominal! Congratulations! He better finds himself a good teacher if he does not have one. My decades of music experiences have imbued in me the belief that the more talented the student, the more experienced and seasoned a teacher he needs. Good luck to both of you!

#381330 - 06/25/01 12:01 PM Re: Question
BruceD Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CrashTest:
He practices 4 or so hours a day (Hanon basically), is that too much or too little? He seems to be advancing very fast, but where should someone be at about one year? What level in piano would he be considered at? Thanks![/b][/QUOTE

It's very hard to answer these questions. The year he has been playing is really such a relative figure. Consider that some beginners practice an hour a day, if that. At that rate, your brother has been playing for four years. Others practice more than your brother, so the year is not a deciding factor on "what level" he should have reached.
It depends on his innate talents, his musical and emotional maturity as well as on his technical advancement. Surely where he "should be" can be determined by his teacher. If he doesn't have one, it seems to me that he should. Someone making this kind of progress could be learning bad habits without the guidance of a very skilled teacher.

#381331 - 06/25/01 05:39 PM Re: Question
CrashTest Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the replies! Does anybody know of a website with review and analysis of classical pieces? (Not recordings, but the pieces themselves)Also, what Hungarian Rhapsody did Evgeny Kissin play at the 92' grammies? I've been searching all over but I couldn't find it, thanks!

#381332 - 06/25/01 09:46 PM Re: Question
netizen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
In terms of technical challenges, I think the Etude is more difficult to play than the Rhapsody --the Rhapsody at least has the advantage, imho, of being more accessible to the hands. If you can master the technical problems presented in the first four pages or so of the rhapsody, the rest will follow (if you've the stamina), but that's my own experience. Your mileage may vary.

Given what you've said, I would place your brother at an upper-intermediate to lower-advanced level of playing. And, yes, he should have a good teacher who can competently direct his progress.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha UX vs WX
by goldmund
Today at 11:34 AM
Need help with chords
by Shirz
Today at 07:52 AM
Which are the best forums for piano technicians and DIYers?
by Withindale
Today at 03:17 AM
Prelude
by noobpianist90
Today at 01:55 AM
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
Yesterday at 11:57 PM
Who's Online
122 registered (ajames, accordeur, 36251, 0987654321, A Guy, 39 invisible), 1527 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76653 Members
42 Forums
158488 Topics
2327557 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission