2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,885 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Thank you BruceD, you're right. It is very rare to have a formal classical concert here, it's the only thing that I feel pity for staying this country. Three places I must go in the future: Australia, USA, and Vienna - to see a real concert smile

In my this life, I will enjoy playing the piano
In my next life, I will become a pianist
I was at the last world piano pedagogy conference where I attended a dual piano recital given by Anne Schein and Luiz de Moura Castro. I think it was during Anne Schein's All-chopin performance when a lady sitting in front of me (she was sitting 1st row, I was sitting 2nd) had her cellphone go off in middle of a piece. She for some reason could not find the cellphone and just panicked... after about 10 seconds of solid ringing, she found it and turned it off. She put the phone under her seat right away. After about 5 minutes, it went off again... she panicked AGAIN and looked for her phone. This time she had no idea where her phone was and started looking in her bag... she finally realized the phone was under her seat so she grabbed it after another solid 10 seconds of ringing. By then I'm getting REAL angry... thinking about maybe smacking her head few times. But I let it go... then the phone went off AGAIN for the 3rd time, luckily right as the crowd started appluading after the final piece... sheesh!

The funny thing is that this lady was probably a pianist/piano teacher since 99.99% of the people in that hall were pianists... sad... real sad... I remember people coughing like nuts and a different cellphone going off elsewhere...

I go to dozens of recitals and concerts each year. About once or twice a year I forget to turn off my cellphone so I start sweating bullets.

Then about 2 years ago I realized all I have to do is take the battery off from the phone to turn it off. This action makes absolutely no noise and it's much easier to do this than to open up a flashy phone with lights coming out... making noise when pressing buttons...

yea... why don't you all just take the battery off? u just dislodge the thing... and boom it's off!

One of the most surreal cell phone moments happened when I was accompanying a violist on Hindemith's Der Schwanendreher. It was her final required recital, but she was not adequately prepared to play something that difficult. Hindemith played badly is excruciating, especially at concerto length. In the middle of a movement (I forget which), someone's phone goes off with Joplin's The Entertainer. So here's this combination of hackneyed Hindemith and ringtone ragtime that goes on forever, since the phone's owner apparently doesn't know how to mute the phone or doesn't care that his phone's ringing (my vote's for the latter). And, get this, the exact same thing happens five minutes later.

www.elclandestinomusic.com

"Moralists have no place in an art gallery" ---Han Suyin

"Paint's not really a great thing to bring into a museum" ---Adam Sorenson, The Shape of Things
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally posted by Sonata:
Originally posted by Derulux:
[b] but a t-shirt and shorts actually bothered you? :rolleyes:
Well, you don't need wear the tailcoat, but I think if you attend to a CLASSIC concert, not a rock'n roll, you should at least wear a neat cloth, not with the barefoot, this is also show your respect to the performer, some good tradition should keep wink [/b]
Of course, you do realize it's one of the traditions that is keeping classical music "in the closet" so-to-speak, and for what? A nice shirt? Please... wink

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I'm also against the excessive formal classical attire. If I were playing a huge concert, I would be happy that people wore jeans and t-shirts if they were more comfortable and enjoyed themselves more.

Yah, wear comfortable and enjoye the music of course, but what if people attend to your concert like attend to a movie? Bring foods and drinks, make lots of noises? I didn't say I expect people wear VERY FORMAL dresses and make silent all the time, I just would like to see people show their respects to the music and the performers, so, wear a neat cloth or a nice shirt is not comfortable? Please.... it's your own cloth, not borrowed from someone others.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I just would like to see people show their respects to the music and the performers, so, wear a neat cloth or a nice shirt is not comfortable? Please.... it's your own cloth, not borrowed from someone others.
Je ne te comprends pas.

Which language is it?

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Noise has never bothered me as a performer. I guess I get that "edge" from sports--high impact, hard-hitting sports. If a 250-lb guy is making a beeline for you (while screaming because he's going to get a rush out of taking your head off) doesn't phase you, certainly a crinkled Skittles wrapper won't either. wink

But I DO understand how this may impinge upon another audience member's experience, and would ask that unnecessary noise be kept to a minimum. (This does not, however, include appreciative gestures like clapping, or in the case of Wagner, shouting "Bravo!")

But somebody's mode of dress? Personally, I could care less if they showed up in beach-wear. The point is they showed up and are there to experience your music. I don't think ANYTHING in life requires the "respect" of a fancy dress or a nice shirt. (Don't get me started on the elderly who show up to the gym in a button-down shirt, slacks, and polished shoes....) To me, that sort of thing says, "I came to impress the people around me." I much prefer the guy who showed up in a t-shirt and shorts, who says, "I came for the music and damn what the rest of you think about me."

Valarking-- nice to be on the same side again. wink
I'm also against the excessive formal classical attire. If I were playing a huge concert, I would be happy that people wore jeans and t-shirts if they were more comfortable and enjoyed themselves more.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Which language is it?
I couldn't figure out what language you were speaking so I replied in French.

nooooooop, I'm not French. smile

Derulux: congratulations! Finally you found someone on your side! wink

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Derulux: congratulations! Finally you found someone on your side! wink
He's got pianojerome for that. I just happen to agree with this even if I don't really like the way this forum is going. It's starting to remind me of the old ChopinFiles.com forums.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Derulux: congratulations! Finally you found someone on your side!
Sheep. You are all sheep. :p

He's got pianojerome for that. I just happen to agree with this even if I don't really like the way this forum is going. It's starting to remind me of the old ChopinFiles.com forums.
Nah, he and I disagree plenty. We just both happen to share a more modern, and perhaps less conservative view of society in general, which, naturally, extends to the classical community (much to the shock and horror of elder or more conservative members). But I'll let him speak for himself if he chooses...I shouldn't put my words in his mouth, where they don't belong. smile

Now, by "the way this forum is going," would you care to explain? Or will you just be content to complain. wink

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Now, by "the way this forum is going," would you care to explain? Or will you just be content to complain. wink
Nah, anyone who would care knows what I'm saying.

LWPianistin: I didn't mean that diabetes was a stupid[est] little thing, I was making a sweeping generalisation about ALL kids and mobile 'phone dependency wink ...but if there's a diabetic emergency then you call an ambulance, not your mum/dad!

Piano tuner 23 years.
Musica lux in tenebris...
E
ecm Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
The Cell Phone Operator here has a deal with two concert halls here: when you enter the hall, you do not have Network. Haha that's a nice trick tough.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by valarking:
i can't stand it when people wear jeans and a t-shirt to something like an opera or a concert of that same level. disrespectful. now, say, to my school's concerts, that attire is fine, but not to, say an opera.

That's right...I have the same birthday as Mozart. If only it meant something and I could have one thousandth of his genius...in my dreams, i suppose.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Gill the Piano:
LWPianistin: I didn't mean that diabetes was a stupid[est] little thing, I was making a sweeping generalisation about ALL kids and mobile 'phone dependency wink ...but if there's a diabetic emergency then you call an ambulance, not your mum/dad!
ooohhhh.....ok. smile

That's right...I have the same birthday as Mozart. If only it meant something and I could have one thousandth of his genius...in my dreams, i suppose.
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
i can't stand it when people wear jeans and a t-shirt to something like an opera or a concert of that same level. disrespectful. now, say, to my school's concerts, that attire is fine, but not to, say an opera.
You associate "respect" with what somebody wears?! eek Wow...

Nah, anyone who would care knows what I'm saying.
Typical response... though you naturally have left out anyone who came after this "cataclysmic event" and would still care.

You associate "respect" with what somebody wears?! eek Wow...

If the 'wears' does not show somebody's 'respect', then why you say 'wear your best to the church'? Is it a kind of respect? :rolleyes:

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission