Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#381724 - 05/08/06 03:33 PM Re: Cellphones During Performance
lol_nl Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ede, Netherlands
 Quote:
Originally posted by Derulux:
Children running and crying and cell phone ringing and people coughing, and even a meteorite, I can understand... but a t-shirt and shorts actually bothered you? :rolleyes: [/b]
I have almost only T-shirts etc... no real formal clothes.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is never enough for music."
-Sergei Rachmaninoff.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#381725 - 05/08/06 03:39 PM Re: Cellphones During Performance
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
 Quote:
Originally posted by lol_nl:
 Quote:
Children running and crying and cell phone ringing and people coughing, and even a meteorite, I can understand... but a t-shirt and shorts actually bothered you? :rolleyes: [/b]
I have almost only T-shirts etc... no real formal clothes. [/b]
Is it me, or did some parts of society never really get beyond "playing dress-up"? ;\)

#381726 - 05/08/06 04:05 PM Re: Cellphones During Performance
LWpianistin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: VA/MD/England...long story...
 Quote:
Originally posted by Gill the Piano:
I would be furious if a professor kept their mobile on for a child to ring whenever they want. If I'm paying for their time, then I'm also paying for their undivided attention.I disagree that it's 'scary' for a child not to be able to contact a parent whenever they want; what's scary is that children now feel they can call parents for the stupidest little thing without trying to think something through/find a solution for themselves. [/b]
ummm...you'll note this is a DIABETIC child. i wouldn't classify her calls as "the stupidest little thing". and i've only known her to call...about 5 times in the two years i've been at school. slight over-reaction there, Gill.

#381727 - 05/08/06 04:07 PM Re: Cellphones During Performance
LWpianistin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
but a t-shirt and shorts actually bothered you? :rolleyes: [/b]
a joke, right?

#381728 - 05/08/06 05:53 PM Re: Cellphones During Performance
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Haverhill, Massachusetts
 Quote:
Originally posted by AJB:
I have recently become a mobile phone atheist.

Having been there at the start, and owned dozens I suppose, I have finally arrived at the conclusion that they are a nuisance.

So 7 weeks ago I cancelled my contract and I have not used a mobile phone since. It is bliss.

I do keep an emergency SIM in my cars (in case of emergency, amazingly enough) but give no one at all the number and the phones are off until the emergency occurs.

But in both business and private life, I have deleted the mobile.

They intrude on everyday life. People walk around with them glued to their ear. People sit in restaurants sending SMS messages. And worst of all, people expect to get hold of you at all hours of the day and night, by phone, SMS or email.

Well, I am only available when I want to be these days.

My the way, I am not a technophobe at all. I have just come to value my privacy and my time more than I used to.

End of rant :-)
A [/b]
Congratulations Adrian! I always have been one. \:D

Well actually because anything that requires a radio signal doesn't work well in my area. My work pager drops off to either no signal in the basement, or "Basic" service elsewhere. Anyone that visits with a cell phone usually ends up going up on the street to pick up a call, or the devices drop off to voicemail on two rings.

Do I miss having a mobile phone? None in the least! I don't understand how people have to be constant communication with someone else. Is it necessary to jabber all the time whilst driving, shopping, eating, or even going to the bathroom?

Come on, there has to be a time when these things should not be allowed except for an extreme emergency. These places of course are concert halls and restaurants.

John

#381729 - 05/08/06 06:34 PM Re: Cellphones During Performance
Sonata Offline

Loc: AK, NZ
 Quote:
Well, you don't need wear the tailcoat, but I think if you attend to a CLASSIC concert, not a rock'n roll, you should at least wear a neat cloth, not with the barefoot, this is also show your respect to the performer, some good tradition should keep ;\)

#381730 - 05/08/06 06:41 PM Re: Cellphones During Performance
Josh Bish Offline

Loc: England
I've never heard a mobile phone go off during a performance, but at the Rach 2 I was incredibly distracted by an old man who stunk of urine! It was such a nasty smell, I tried to enjoy the music but it kinda ruined the evening.

#381731 - 05/08/06 06:50 PM Re: Cellphones During Performance
Shosti Offline

Loc: Boston
At least the performer probably didn't notice...

#381732 - 05/08/06 06:53 PM Re: Cellphones During Performance
tomt6113 Offline

Loc: new york
well heres one i dont hthink youll hear often. in 7th grade i had just gotten a cell phone and often times forgot it was in my pocket. sure enough i got a phone call right in the middle of my own recital.

#381733 - 05/08/06 08:30 PM Re: Cellphones During Performance
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
 Quote:
Originally posted by Sonata:
I'd love to see someone perform, but I don't like attending to the concerts, because I had a really bad experience, where the children running, crying, cellphone ringing and people coughing, talking. I didn't expect they can wear formal dresses, but someone wore T-shirt, shorts and slippers or even with barefoot!
I'd rather buy DVDs. [/b]
Sonata :

Evidently you were not at a real "classical concert" in the accepted sense of the word. I can't think that classical concerts where you are (AK, NZ?) are any less formal than those in the rest of the world. While some people decry the stiff, formality of classical concerts, I can assure you that "the children running, crying, cellphone ringing and people coughing, talking..." is not the norm for a classical concert.

Don't deprive yourself of a cultural experience; if you would "love to see someone perform," do yourself a big favour and go to a formal classical concert where there should be little to distract you from listening to - and enjoying - the music.

Regards,
Writing from Paris until 15 May, 2014

#381734 - 05/08/06 08:46 PM Re: Cellphones During Performance
Sonata Offline

Thank you BruceD, you're right. It is very rare to have a formal classical concert here, it's the only thing that I feel pity for staying this country. Three places I must go in the future: Australia, USA, and Vienna - to see a real concert \:\)

#381735 - 05/08/06 09:52 PM Re: Cellphones During Performance
CarlosKleiberist Offline

Loc: Southern California
I was at the last world piano pedagogy conference where I attended a dual piano recital given by Anne Schein and Luiz de Moura Castro. I think it was during Anne Schein's All-chopin performance when a lady sitting in front of me (she was sitting 1st row, I was sitting 2nd) had her cellphone go off in middle of a piece. She for some reason could not find the cellphone and just panicked... after about 10 seconds of solid ringing, she found it and turned it off. She put the phone under her seat right away. After about 5 minutes, it went off again... she panicked AGAIN and looked for her phone. This time she had no idea where her phone was and started looking in her bag... she finally realized the phone was under her seat so she grabbed it after another solid 10 seconds of ringing. By then I'm getting REAL angry... thinking about maybe smacking her head few times. But I let it go... then the phone went off AGAIN for the 3rd time, luckily right as the crowd started appluading after the final piece... sheesh!

The funny thing is that this lady was probably a pianist/piano teacher since 99.99% of the people in that hall were pianists... sad... real sad... I remember people coughing like nuts and a different cellphone going off elsewhere...

I go to dozens of recitals and concerts each year. About once or twice a year I forget to turn off my cellphone so I start sweating bullets.

Then about 2 years ago I realized all I have to do is take the battery off from the phone to turn it off. This action makes absolutely no noise and it's much easier to do this than to open up a flashy phone with lights coming out... making noise when pressing buttons...

yea... why don't you all just take the battery off? u just dislodge the thing... and boom it's off!

#381736 - 05/08/06 10:15 PM Re: Cellphones During Performance
pianomad Offline

Loc: USA
One of the most surreal cell phone moments happened when I was accompanying a violist on Hindemith's Der Schwanendreher. It was her final required recital, but she was not adequately prepared to play something that difficult. Hindemith played badly is excruciating, especially at concerto length. In the middle of a movement (I forget which), someone's phone goes off with Joplin's The Entertainer. So here's this combination of hackneyed Hindemith and ringtone ragtime that goes on forever, since the phone's owner apparently doesn't know how to mute the phone or doesn't care that his phone's ringing (my vote's for the latter). And, get this, the exact same thing happens five minutes later.

"Moralists have no place in an art gallery" ---Han Suyin

"Paint's not really a great thing to bring into a museum" ---Adam Sorenson, The Shape of Things

#381737 - 05/09/06 12:42 AM Re: Cellphones During Performance
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
 Quote:
Well, you don't need wear the tailcoat, but I think if you attend to a CLASSIC concert, not a rock'n roll, you should at least wear a neat cloth, not with the barefoot, this is also show your respect to the performer, some good tradition should keep ;\) [/b]
Of course, you do realize it's one of the traditions that is keeping classical music "in the closet" so-to-speak, and for what? A nice shirt? Please... ;\)

#381738 - 05/09/06 01:14 AM Re: Cellphones During Performance
valarking Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas
I'm also against the excessive formal classical attire. If I were playing a huge concert, I would be happy that people wore jeans and t-shirts if they were more comfortable and enjoyed themselves more.

#381739 - 05/09/06 01:25 AM Re: Cellphones During Performance
Sonata Offline

Yah, wear comfortable and enjoye the music of course, but what if people attend to your concert like attend to a movie? Bring foods and drinks, make lots of noises? I didn't say I expect people wear VERY FORMAL dresses and make silent all the time, I just would like to see people show their respects to the music and the performers, so, wear a neat cloth or a nice shirt is not comfortable? Please.... it's your own cloth, not borrowed from someone others.

#381740 - 05/09/06 01:29 AM Re: Cellphones During Performance
valarking Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
I just would like to see people show their respects to the music and the performers, so, wear a neat cloth or a nice shirt is not comfortable? Please.... it's your own cloth, not borrowed from someone others. [/b]
Je ne te comprends pas.

#381741 - 05/09/06 01:30 AM Re: Cellphones During Performance
Sonata Offline

Which language is it?

#381742 - 05/09/06 01:34 AM Re: Cellphones During Performance
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Noise has never bothered me as a performer. I guess I get that "edge" from sports--high impact, hard-hitting sports. If a 250-lb guy is making a beeline for you (while screaming because he's going to get a rush out of taking your head off) doesn't phase you, certainly a crinkled Skittles wrapper won't either. ;\)

But I DO understand how this may impinge upon another audience member's experience, and would ask that unnecessary noise be kept to a minimum. (This does not, however, include appreciative gestures like clapping, or in the case of Wagner, shouting "Bravo!")

But somebody's mode of dress? Personally, I could care less if they showed up in beach-wear. The point is they showed up and are there to experience your music. I don't think ANYTHING in life requires the "respect" of a fancy dress or a nice shirt. (Don't get me started on the elderly who show up to the gym in a button-down shirt, slacks, and polished shoes....) To me, that sort of thing says, "I came to impress the people around me." I much prefer the guy who showed up in a t-shirt and shorts, who says, "I came for the music and damn what the rest of you think about me."

Valarking-- nice to be on the same side again. ;\)
 Quote:
I'm also against the excessive formal classical attire. If I were playing a huge concert, I would be happy that people wore jeans and t-shirts if they were more comfortable and enjoyed themselves more.

#381743 - 05/09/06 01:39 AM Re: Cellphones During Performance
valarking Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Which language is it? [/b]
I couldn't figure out what language you were speaking so I replied in French.

#381744 - 05/09/06 01:44 AM Re: Cellphones During Performance
Sonata Offline

nooooooop, I'm not French. \:\)

Derulux: congratulations! Finally you found someone on your side! ;\)

#381745 - 05/09/06 01:47 AM Re: Cellphones During Performance
valarking Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Derulux: congratulations! Finally you found someone on your side! ;\) [/b]
He's got pianojerome for that. I just happen to agree with this even if I don't really like the way this forum is going. It's starting to remind me of the old ChopinFiles.com forums.

#381746 - 05/09/06 02:49 AM Re: Cellphones During Performance
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Derulux: congratulations! Finally you found someone on your side![/b]
Sheep. You are all sheep. :p

He's got pianojerome for that. I just happen to agree with this even if I don't really like the way this forum is going. It's starting to remind me of the old ChopinFiles.com forums.[/b]
Nah, he and I disagree plenty. We just both happen to share a more modern, and perhaps less conservative view of society in general, which, naturally, extends to the classical community (much to the shock and horror of elder or more conservative members). But I'll let him speak for himself if he chooses...I shouldn't put my words in his mouth, where they don't belong. \:\)

Now, by "the way this forum is going," would you care to explain? Or will you just be content to complain. ;\)

#381747 - 05/09/06 11:00 AM Re: Cellphones During Performance
valarking Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:

Now, by "the way this forum is going," would you care to explain? Or will you just be content to complain. ;\) [/b]
Nah, anyone who would care knows what I'm saying.

#381748 - 05/09/06 11:01 AM Re: Cellphones During Performance
Gill the Piano Offline

Loc: Marlow, Buckinghamshire, Engla...
LWPianistin: I didn't mean that diabetes was a stupid[est] little thing, I was making a sweeping generalisation about ALL kids and mobile 'phone dependency ;\) ...but if there's a diabetic emergency then you call an ambulance, not your mum/dad!

#381749 - 05/09/06 01:14 PM Re: Cellphones During Performance
ecm Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Republic of Macedonia
The Cell Phone Operator here has a deal with two concert halls here: when you enter the hall, you do not have Network. Haha that's a nice trick tough.

#381750 - 05/09/06 01:57 PM Re: Cellphones During Performance
LWpianistin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by valarking:
I'm also against the excessive formal classical attire. If I were playing a huge concert, I would be happy that people wore jeans and t-shirts if they were more comfortable and enjoyed themselves more. [/b]
i can't stand it when people wear jeans and a t-shirt to something like an opera or a concert of that same level. disrespectful. now, say, to my school's concerts, that attire is fine, but not to, say an opera.

#381751 - 05/09/06 02:00 PM Re: Cellphones During Performance
LWpianistin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gill the Piano:
LWPianistin: I didn't mean that diabetes was a stupid[est] little thing, I was making a sweeping generalisation about ALL kids and mobile 'phone dependency ;\) ...but if there's a diabetic emergency then you call an ambulance, not your mum/dad! [/b]
ooohhhh.....ok. \:\)

#381752 - 05/09/06 08:16 PM Re: Cellphones During Performance
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

i can't stand it when people wear jeans and a t-shirt to something like an opera or a concert of that same level. disrespectful. now, say, to my school's concerts, that attire is fine, but not to, say an opera.[/b]
You associate "respect" with what somebody wears?! Wow...

Nah, anyone who would care knows what I'm saying.[/b]
Typical response... though you naturally have left out anyone who came after this "cataclysmic event" and would still care.

#381753 - 05/09/06 08:56 PM Re: Cellphones During Performance
Sonata Offline

Quote:

You associate "respect" with what somebody wears?! Wow...

[/b]
If the 'wears' does not show somebody's 'respect', then why you say 'wear your best to the church'? Is it a kind of respect? :rolleyes:

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
144 registered (36251, accordeur, alex-kid, 3rd Ear, 38 invisible), 1618 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74258 Members
42 Forums
153610 Topics
2251339 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
stuff fell through the Kawai K8 fallboard, into the piano
by akita
04/20/14 03:12 PM
How did YOU get started on software pianos?
by doremi
04/20/14 03:02 PM
Advice needed: what to do with piano during a major remodel
by akita
04/20/14 02:31 PM
Few questions from a newbie regarding Bach and playing piano
by The Lark Ascending
04/20/14 02:18 PM
Should I play piano with different tone setting?
by Clannad
04/20/14 01:53 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission