Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#38364 - 04/08/06 06:13 AM Yamaha or Kawai
Ding Offline

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I'm trying to get a new piano for my 6-yr old daughter who's a beginner. I can't afford a studio model like the Yamaha U1 or Kawai K-25. So I'm deciding between the Kawai K18 or the Yamaha M112T. I don't play the piano and my little one is too young and new to the instrument to choose. Hope someone can give me some advice on these 2 brands.

Thanks!

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#38365 - 04/08/06 07:01 AM Re: Yamaha or Kawai
Rich Galassini Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Dear Ding,

I think it is fair to say that whether you are choosing an automobile, a refrigerator, or a piano, if you choose the least expensive model available within a given brand, you won't be getting the quality equated with that brand's established models.

If you must choose from those two models,choose what you prefer. Neither will fall apart. I would also urge you to look at other pianos. IMHO, the Korean and Indonesian product of other makers offer more piano for your dollar than these 2 models.

Good Luck,
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#38366 - 04/08/06 09:05 AM Re: Yamaha or Kawai
yraglac Offline

K18 is mada in Japan. M112T not sure. IMO k18 is best among it's class. Yamaha do have some entry level piano made in Indonesia.

#38367 - 04/08/06 10:26 AM Re: Yamaha or Kawai
toda Offline

Loc: Somewhere in Midwest
Hi,

If your budget is limited, perhaps purchasing a digital piano may be a reasonable alternative. Recently I myself did some research (aka googling) looking for a practice piano for my 6 year old and ended up with a Clavinova (Yamaha digital). Have fun and don't rush.

TD

Quote:
Originally posted by Ding:
Hello,

I am new to this forum. I'm trying to get a new piano for my 6-yr old daughter who's a beginner. I can't afford a studio model like the Yamaha U1 or Kawai K-25. So I'm deciding between the Kawai K18 or the Yamaha M112T. I don't play the piano and my little one is too young and new to the instrument to choose. Hope someone can give me some advice on these 2 brands.

Thanks! [/b]

#38368 - 04/08/06 10:58 AM Re: Yamaha or Kawai
Paul Y Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Nashua, NH
Most acoustic/digital piano dealers will offer you a full trade-in within a couple of years should you buy a digital. I know OUR company does!

This direction will allow you to purchase a lower-priced instrument to track your daughter's progress. Then within a given period, trade it towards a nice acoustic console or upright and get back what you paid for the digital.

Look at it as paying for half your acoustic piano now and the other half in two years of less.

Paul

#38369 - 04/08/06 06:29 PM Re: Yamaha or Kawai
topdog Offline

Loc: San Jose
Kawai dealers/owners are going to say Kawai and Yamaha dealers/owners are going to say Yamaha...Duh...

These are two like models. Play them both, find out what is the lowest price and who is the better dealer/salesperson that you like and how they would back up the product with their personal service and then make a simple decison.

Make it fun for yourself.

#38370 - 04/08/06 06:34 PM Re: Yamaha or Kawai
topdog Offline

Loc: San Jose
I suggest between the Kawai k-18 or the Yamaha I would suggest the k-18. The Kawai is still made and assembled in Japan. The Yamaha else where. Kawai has a ten year full warranty, parts and labor. Yamaha has a ten year limited, not transferable. Best of luck.

#38371 - 04/08/06 08:12 PM Re: Yamaha or Kawai
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
The old "made in"...is quickly becoming a matter of the past.

*Sound quality* and *value*, however, are not.

That's the situation the world faces today and every company on earth is faced with the very same challenge.

There are no hiding places left.

Norbert

#38372 - 04/08/06 08:25 PM Re: Yamaha or Kawai
ftp Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Norbert,

I understand your point well. A concern I would have, however, is that a piano purchase is typically a long term decision. The initial purchase may appear to be wise but like new *minimally invasive forms of surgery*, a replacement roof for your house etc... it takes several years to know whether or not in fact you made the right decision. How is one to evaluate a new piano from a new manufacturer in this context?

#38373 - 04/09/06 09:13 AM Re: Yamaha or Kawai
Paul Y Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Topdog,

I believe you got your acoustic piano warranties mixed-up with digital piano warranties. Digitals by both companys are 5-year parts, one-year labor.

There are no digital pianos warranteed for 10 years. Only acoustic piano!

However, warranty-alone is not reason enough to buy one over the other.

Paul

#38374 - 04/09/06 03:31 PM Re: Yamaha or Kawai
Norbert Offline

Quote:
I understand your point well. A concern I would have, however, is that a piano purchase is typically a long term decision. The initial purchase may appear to be wise but like new *minimally invasive forms of surgery*, a replacement roof for your house etc... it takes several years to know whether or not in fact you made the right decision. How is one to evaluate a new piano from a new manufacturer in
For someone not involved in the business this is still a bit more of a mystery or guessing game than to us guys - being in it every day.

Dealers and industry professionals look at all kinds of pianos from every posssible angle as we guys don't buy one - but virtually hundreds, even thousands of pianos.

What the average shopper considers is often miniscule in comparison to what a dealer has to contemplate and stews over before signing the cheque.

Net result is, that even we dealers are starting to see less and less differences between the various Japanese, Korean or Chinese pianos, but - at least in public - are of course less inclined to admit this.

[Interestingly enough, we all know what we would all privately like to see parked in our garage or sitting on our living room.... ;\) ]

In essence there will be two groups of pianos left:

The mass-produced, very well made production pianos of the Orient, strictly build on price.

There will be less and less material difference between these pianos, with the stakes hugely in favour for the Chinese: this based on the rapid adoption of advanced manufacturing techniques and components eagerly supplied by any Western company in a great hurry to get a piece of the action there.

And the top group of pianos.

Not the *in-betweens* or *wanna-bees*.....

And in the top we also know who will be there.

They're already there.

Norbert \:o

#38375 - 04/09/06 04:49 PM Re: Yamaha or Kawai
Paul Y Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Unfortunately, it will take some additional time for the buying public to "fully" accept all the brands from China and Indonesia.

These two countires are in a similar position to that of Japan back in the 60's and 70's (and of course, Korea back in the 80's). Over time, these instruments were finally accepted.

I am sure that over time, Chinese and Indonesian quality (versus "imagined" or "preceived" quality) will slowly be fully accepted. But until that time, folks will continue to pay for American and European (and Japanese) pianos while the jury remains out.

Paul

#38376 - 04/09/06 05:22 PM Re: Yamaha or Kawai
Norbert Offline

This is true Paul, but I believe China is moving way faster today than Japan was in the 60's

In fact the whole global economy of today resembles nothing we had in the 60's.

Maybe tomorrow the Chinese will all speak English and we.... Chinese.

Just kidding...... \:D

I hope.

Norbert \:\(

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
106 registered (Atrys, a_dee, ADWyatt, AZ_Astro, 28 invisible), 1329 Guests and 47 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74198 Members
42 Forums
153491 Topics
2249184 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bechstein 7
by PhilipInChina
8 minutes 36 seconds ago
Premier Piano of New York
by FenderJazzMan
Yesterday at 11:58 PM
Top selling self-taught pianists?
by Sand Tiger
Yesterday at 11:06 PM
Just got my MP11!
by Dan Clark
Yesterday at 10:18 PM
Cracks in my soundboard??
by Markarian
Yesterday at 09:35 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission