Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#383918 - 05/03/06 03:09 PM Black Note Etude
holystorm Offline

Loc: London
I think this is one of Chopins greatest songs, but I want to know is it harder to play a song where 90% of the notes are on the black keys, opposed to the white keys?

Thanks.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#383919 - 05/03/06 03:19 PM Re: Black Note Etude
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

It shouldn't be any harder. In fact, it should probably be easier than pieces where 50% are on black keys and 50% are on white keys.

All you have to do is raise your arm a little and lean forward a little (since the black keys are higher and farther away than the white keys) and that's it - then your wrist/hand positions and finger positions and everything are the same.

#383920 - 05/03/06 04:02 PM Re: Black Note Etude
PoStTeNeBrAsLuX Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Geneva, Switzerland
holystorm,

Not wishing to single you out, as many others are guilty of the same, but Chopin's Op10 no5 is not a 'song!'[/b]

It is a piano 'piece.'

More specifically an 'étude' or 'study.'

Whoever performs it, plays it on a piano.

There is no vocalist.

Ain't nobody singin'.

It is not a song.

Hope that helps ;\)

- Michael B.

PS. As for the difficulty of this piece, black keys are narrower than white keys, so the target area for your digits is smaller. Then again, there are fewer of them on a piano keyboard, so you have fewer wrong ones to hit \:\) . This piece would be difficult whichever key it was written in: FWIW I reckon it is a tad easier for being in Gb major; I think it would be harder in G major, for example.
There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.

#383921 - 05/03/06 04:15 PM Re: Black Note Etude
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Never fear, holystorm, this is a commonly-argued subject that keeps coming up when certain people have nothing better to do. ;\) Here, allow me:

It is a song.

It is comprised of notes that make music.

It is a song for piano.

The piano sings it.

IT is the vocalist.

It is a song.

#383922 - 05/03/06 04:28 PM Re: Black Note Etude
Max W Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: RHUL
But a song is written specifically for a human voice, not a piano ;\)

And as for the 10/5, playing on the black keys only (although it does use white keys, heh) isn't in itself difficult, but some of the fingering problems that are created from this make it more difficult (but by using the same notes transposed a semitone down/up they would still be there)

#383923 - 05/03/06 04:32 PM Re: Black Note Etude
Phlebas Offline

Loc: New York City
 Quote:
Originally posted by holystorm:
I think this is one of Chopins greatest songs, but I want to know is it harder to play a song where 90% of the notes are on the black keys, opposed to the white keys?

Thanks. [/b]
I think the fact that it is exclusively on black keys make it somewhat easier because you have to think less about moving your hand in and out of the black key area.

Compare it to - say - the first movement of Kreisleriana. One of the difficulties of this piece is there's more of a mixture of black keys and white keys, the thumb occasionally has to play on black keys, and there is much more in and out of the black key area.

That being said, the Schumann may not be more difficult than the Chopin, I'm just making an observation on one of the challenges of the Schumann.

#383924 - 05/03/06 04:48 PM Re: Black Note Etude
PoStTeNeBrAsLuX Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Derulux:
 Quote:
this is a commonly-argued subject that keeps coming up when certain people have nothing better to do. ;\)
Argument/pedantry for the sake of it? Mr Pot, please meet Mr Kettle \:D
 Quote:
It is a song.
[sticks fingers in ears]

La-la-la-la-la-la-la....[1]

Michael B.
[1] Now that's a song ;\) .
There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.

#383925 - 05/03/06 06:00 PM Re: Black Note Etude
sheepdip Offline

Loc: Oregon
I know this has come up many times before but I have never replied to one of them so I feel that I am entitled to at least one comment. It is NOT a song. ie. Webster...
1. The act or art of singing; as, he broke into song.

2. A piece of music sung or as if for singing.

I know there are greater problems in life than this but at the moment this is it.

#383926 - 05/03/06 06:57 PM Re: Black Note Etude
bach enthusiast Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Tucson Arizona
Am I crazy, or did I read or hear that a well known pianist used to play, or sort of play this piece at recitals by rolling an orange across the black keys while playing the left hand part. If someone knows if this is true, can you confirm or disconfirm my recolection?

#383927 - 05/03/06 07:29 PM Re: Black Note Etude
holystorm Offline

Loc: London
What the hell? Is that even possible?

#383928 - 05/03/06 07:33 PM Re: Black Note Etude
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Yeah, that was Nicolas Slonimsky.

#383929 - 05/03/06 07:45 PM Re: Black Note Etude
valarking Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas
 Quote:
Originally posted by Derulux:
Never fear, holystorm, this is a commonly-argued subject that keeps coming up when certain people have nothing better to do. ;\) Here, allow me:

It is a song.

It is comprised of notes that make music.

It is a song for piano.

The piano sings it.

IT is the vocalist.

It is a song. [/b]

The piano does not sing. Singing implies use of vocal cords.
However contrary you want to be, you can't deny that.

Fail.

#383930 - 05/03/06 07:50 PM Re: Black Note Etude
xyz2004slc Offline

It is a song without words. I would rather it be a "song" because that implies a nice cantabile.

#383931 - 05/03/06 07:52 PM Re: Black Note Etude
AndrewG Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Me too. I always try to correct friends or students when they refer to a piano piece as a 'song'. Does it matter? Probably not much but ...

#383932 - 05/03/06 08:01 PM Re: Black Note Etude
valarking Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xyz2004slc:
It is a song without words. I would rather it be a "song" because that implies a nice cantabile. [/b]
Black Keys etude is not a singing melody or cantabile of any sort.

#383933 - 05/03/06 10:08 PM Re: Black Note Etude
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

However contrary you want to be, you can't deny that.[/b]
Then explain why so many people refer to making a line "sing".... ;\)

#383934 - 05/03/06 10:18 PM Re: Black Note Etude
valarking Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Then explain why so many people refer to making a line "sing".... ;\) [/b]
They are trying to communicate a method of melodic phrasing and touch.

#383935 - 05/03/06 11:16 PM Re: Black Note Etude
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by valarking:
 Quote:
They are trying to communicate a method of melodic phrasing and touch. [/b]
Then it would certainly be a poor communicative effort, considering your first statement. ;\)

#383936 - 05/03/06 11:33 PM Re: Black Note Etude
valarking Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
 Quote:
 Quote:
Then it would certainly be a poor communicative effort, considering your first statement. ;\) [/b]
It is, unless one knows how to interpret it for piano performance.

#383937 - 05/04/06 01:40 AM Re: Black Note Etude
PoStTeNeBrAsLuX Offline
2000 Post Club Member

It is a usage that I never heard in ~30 years of involvement in music (both instrumental and indeed, as an accompanist, choral) whilst in my native England. In fact I have never encountered it since starting to read this forum some 6 months ago. I presumed therefore that it is either (i) a new coinage amongst the younger generation[1] or (ii) an Americanism. Or perhaps both. Seeing it used about the most 'unsonglike' Black Key étude from someone located in London was the last straw I suppose...

Personally I believe that it implies ignorance of musical forms, and is somehow dismissive, seemingly reducing any piece of music to being a mere 'song'[2]. Could one talk of Beethoven's 9th being one of his best 'songs'. It has a bit of singing it after all ;\) .

- Michael B.

[1] Waves walking stick, adjusts ear trumpet and pulls blanket more closely over knees.
[2] I am aware that various composers (real) 'songs' can be great pieces of music, but the usage of the word for non-vocal music, gives me this impression somehow.

#383938 - 05/04/06 02:34 AM Re: Black Note Etude
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
 Quote:
 Quote:
quote:
Then it would certainly be a poor communicative effort, considering your first statement. ;\) [/b]
It is, unless one knows how to interpret it for piano performance.
Ever try to translate something into a different language? (Ever read the label on a particular brand of Chinese condoms--Sixsex--that was translated into English? "Each condom is made of the highest quality natural latex of import, and subject to electronic inspection...and meets ISO4074 standards, it can provide you with pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases such as AIDS.")

I suppose one's interpretation of another's language is rather important. This I cannot refute, but I think I can show by example that my statement still stands. A comment on making a piano "sing" when a piano cannot sing is absolutely useless. If you have to "interpret" what someone's actually trying to say, why not have them come right out and say it? (Or is it, perhaps, because this individual doesn't know how to say it, and "sing" is the only thing they can come up with?) Either way, it is still a poor communicative effort.

Proper and effective communication should clarify and simplify, not require translation, back-translation, or interpretive effort. I stand by my statement.

#383939 - 05/04/06 03:28 AM Re: Black Note Etude
Mr. E Offline

Another definition of sing:
a. To make melodious sounds
b. To give or have the effect of melody; lilt.

And thus, when we speak of a piano singing, this is more the definition we are referring to.

But alas, you've known what we meant all along, and only wish to argue for the sake of arguing. So have at it.

#383940 - 05/04/06 03:56 AM Re: Black Note Etude
PoStTeNeBrAsLuX Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Mr. E,

I think we all know what the verb 'to sing' means, either in its primary literal meaning, or indeed its derived metaphorical ones, and how it applies to producing a 'singing' tone on a piano, etc. There is however quite a leap between that and calling the music thus produced a 'song.'

To my (English) mind, one cannot apply the term 'song' to a piece of instrumental music that features no vocals, without seeming ignorant of common usage of the English language. Hence why I would hesitate to point it out the error[1] if the poster were obviously not an English mother-tongue speaker.

Derulux:
 Quote:
Ever try to translate something into a different language?
[dons grandmother clothing and starts sucking eggs] Nah, in a country with four national languages, we don't seem to get much call for that around here :rolleyes:

- Michael B.

[1] And it is just that... yes, yes, we all know that languages develop and change over time, but in common English usage as it stands today, it's just wrong[/b]. The word has of course been used figuratively for piano music in special instances (such as by Herr Mendelssohn), but that still doesn't make any[/b] piano piece a 'song.'

#383941 - 05/04/06 09:43 AM Re: Black Note Etude
Mr. E Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by PoStTeNeBrAsLuX:
Mr. E,

I think we all know what the verb 'to sing' means, either in its primary literal meaning, or indeed its derived metaphorical ones, and how it applies to producing a 'singing' tone on a piano, etc. There is however quite a leap between that and calling the music thus produced a 'song.'

To my (English) mind, one cannot apply the term 'song' to a piece of instrumental music that features no vocals, without seeming ignorant of common usage of the English language. Hence why I would hesitate to point it out the error[1] if the poster were obviously not an English mother-tongue speaker.

[/b]
I absolutely agree with you. I'm sorry I was a bit unclear. I was referring to Derulux.

#383942 - 05/04/06 09:59 AM Re: Black Note Etude
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Derulux does have a point. We say to 'sing' on the piano, which is of course impossible - but we are using it as a metaphor for something else. Nonetheless, what is this something else that we are referring to when we say 'sing'?

Perhaps what we mean is to make a lilting melodious line, as Mr. E wrote. Well, why not say that? It's much clearer than saying 'sing', unless 'sing' means more than just make a melodious line. This is Derulux's point.

It really does no good to tell someone to 'sing' at the piano, because what does that mean?

It would be more useful, I think, to tell the person to play a smooth legato, connecting each note to the next, connecting the dynamics so that there are no sudden leaps, apply a slight rubato, and be careful not to bang out any notes or make any notes too sharp, and THEN say, and think of how it sounds when you sing - you are aiming for this type of sound when you play. All of this is meant by 'sing', but how does the person know that if you don't explain it to them?

The explanation is necessary first, and then 'sing' can be used as a metaphor to tie everything together. Derulux's point is well-taken by me at least: 'sing' by itself is meaningless, and what gives it meaning is only when you actually explain in detail what you really mean.

#383943 - 05/04/06 11:06 AM Re: Black Note Etude
Max W Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: RHUL
 Quote:
Originally posted by pianojerome:
It would be more useful, I think, to tell the person to play a smooth legato, connecting each note to the next, connecting the dynamics so that there are no sudden leaps, apply a slight rubato, and be careful not to bang out any notes or make any notes too sharp, and THEN say, and think of how it sounds when you sing - you are aiming for this type of sound when you play. All of this is meant by 'sing', but how does the person know that if you don't explain it to them?[/b]
I prefer to use the term 'sing' at the piano not in any specific usage, but simply that you are expressing music so it sounds like it's coming from you, not from you to the piano - as afterall, singing doesn't always have to be how you described. (not that I don't equally agree with what you said ;\) )

#383944 - 05/04/06 11:13 AM Re: Black Note Etude
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

See, so how would the person know that if you didn't tell him?

'Sing' is so ambiguous by itself – even more so because it is an impossible task with the piano – that if you don't explain, the person has absolutely no way of interpreting exactly what you mean.

Therefore, it is necessary first to explain what you mean - whatever you mean - and then use the word 'sing' as a metaphor.

#383945 - 05/04/06 11:40 AM Re: Black Note Etude
Shosti Offline

Loc: Boston
I think you're being too literal. The use of the word "singing" isn't going to confuse people just because pianos don't have vocal cords. I think to most people the metaphor is obvious-- we want to make the piano sound like a singer singing a song. Mendelssohn certainly thought so, calling his works with a vocal-style melody "songs without words." And if someone doesn't understand? Then you explain it to them. I think it's useful to have these analogies; trying to attain the ideal of making the piano sound like it's singing can inspire really musical playing, phrasing, etc.

#383946 - 05/04/06 11:45 AM Re: Black Note Etude
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Yes, it is a good analogy, but then there is the obvious question, "OK, how do I make the piano sound like a singer singing a song?" (which has been asked here on this forum before)

Then you have to explain (and if I recall correctly, that thread that I am remembering went on for several pages).

The analogy is meaningless unless you explain, but you are right; coupled with a thorough explanation, it is a good analogy.

#383947 - 05/04/06 11:47 AM Re: Black Note Etude
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Shosti:
I think you're being too literal. The use of the word "singing" isn't going to confuse people just because pianos don't have vocal cords. I think to most people the metaphor is obvious-- we want to make the piano sound like a singer singing a song. [/b]
 Quote:
Originally posted by Max W:
I prefer to use the term 'sing' at the piano not in any specific usage, but simply that you are expressing music so it sounds like it's coming from you, not from you to the piano[/b]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
130 registered (36251, alex-kid, ando, Almaviva, 37 invisible), 1480 Guests and 48 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74213 Members
42 Forums
153520 Topics
2249732 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Buzz-project: How do composer earn big money?
by talfi composer
26 minutes 28 seconds ago
Buzz-project: How do composer earn big money?
by talfi composer
29 minutes 38 seconds ago
A question about app.box
by LarryShone
Today at 07:08 AM
Re-stringing an 84yr old Grand.....?
by Grandpianoman
Today at 01:56 AM
Theme identification
by Polyphonist
Today at 01:26 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission