2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, David B, 8 invisible), 1,265 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Kim88 Offline OP
OP Offline
Any ideas?

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
It depends on what you mean by accomplished, but by my interpretation one would have had to have experience of a variety of different periods and musical idioms.

D
D
Every accomplished pianist should know how to play Happy Birthday and at least one Christmas song wink

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally posted by Damz:
Every accomplished pianist should know how to play Happy Birthday and at least one Christmas song wink
Bah! Humbug!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
B
B
I'll bite.
Stranded on a desert island together with an accomplished pianist and a toptuned grand I would of course expect her (!) to be able to pull of the entire standard repertoire in between her search for food and keeping the wild animals at distance.

While I am a forgiving person, these are nevertheless the pieces I would definitely let her swim back after if she didn't know:

Bach, complete works for keyboard.
Beethoven, most sonatas.
Chopin, etudes
Haydn, sonatas
Schubert, sonatas, impromptus, moment musicaux, lieder (she sings too, of course)

I'm a reasonable man.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R

Ahem? Isn't that a bit of a tall order, even for a concert pianist? I'd go into a coma before the WTC was finished.

buxtehude [/QUOTE] Stranded on a desert island together with an accomplished pianist and a toptuned grand I would of course expect her (!) to be able to pull of the entire standard repertoire in between her search for food and keeping the wild animals at distance.

While I am a forgiving person, these are nevertheless the pieces I would definitely let her swim back after if she didn't know:[QUOTE]

I believe I'm even more resonable: Depending on how good -looking she is, I'd be more interested in her improvisational skills. Perhaps a 4-handed duet?

-----I may be old, but I'm not dead-----or stupid. wink

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Linus and Lucy? wink

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally posted by Debussy20:
Linus and Lucy? wink
Seconded.

But seriously, I'll try my hand here with individual pieces:

Bach:
Italian Concerto

Liszt:La Campanella
Mazeppa
Feux Follets
Hungarian Rhapsody no. 2 (of course)

Rachmaninoff:
Prelude in C# Minor
Prelude in Bb Major
Piano Concertos two and three

My personal opinion: Corelli Variations. Learn this one! It's underplayed.

Chopin:
Winter Wind Etude
Revolutionary Etude
Heroic Polonaise
Ballade no. 1
Sonata no. 2
Nocture no. 2 in Eb major
Nocturne in C# minor op. posthumous

Scriabin:
Etude in C# minor op. 2 no. 1
Etude in D# minor op. 8 no. 12

Beethoven (ahahaha...):
Fur Elise
Moonlight
Appassionata
Waldstein
Pathetique
(For the really good ones): Hammerklavier

Tchaikovsky:
First Piano Concerto

Grieg:
A minor Concerto

Ultimately:
What the pianist deems is important music!

This is all that comes to me offhand.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Stranded on a desert island with a piano?

I'd figure out how to make it watertight so I might sail back to civilization! laugh

That, or I'd use it for shelter.

Or eat it.

Ok, maybe I've watched too many survivalist TV series! whome

Back to topic: I'll just say Clair de lune seems to fit the bill, at least for what people always ask for, and for what I like to play. smile

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
I don't think any accomplished pianist should know any particular work, but he or she should be able to pull off wonderfully and immediately upon request, with or without the sheet music, a number of Beethoven sonatas, at least two Mozart sonatas, about half an hour of Chopin, as much Liszt as Chopin, a couple of J. S. Bach preludes & fugas, and hours of sensible improvisation in the Classical style, as well as in the Romantic or Baroque style.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I don't know. An accomplished pianist doesn't have a 'standard' except to have as much piano repertoire as he or she possible could. And have as big a memorized repertoire so that when asked, she or he could give a mini recital.

That's my opinion. But as for what, I'm not good enough to know yet.

"Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable." -Leonard Bernstein
Originally posted by Antonius Hamus:
I don't think any accomplished pianist should know any particular work, but he or she should be able to pull off wonderfully and immediately upon request, with or without the sheet music, a number of Beethoven sonatas, at least two Mozart sonatas, about half an hour of Chopin, as much Liszt as Chopin, a couple of J. S. Bach preludes & fugas, and hours of sensible improvisation in the Classical style, as well as in the Romantic or Baroque style.
Is there an emphasis in Baroque, Classical, and Romantic style improvisation in European training that's absent in the U.S.? I don't know any pianists that can do that.

Anyway, I don't think there are any definite pieces any accomplished player should know. Several years ago, I along with many other musicians played at a wedding of two musician friends. I had planned to play Brahms Op. 118 No. 2, among other things, but got called back and was informed that another pianist would be playing that (an experienced and reknowned collaborative pianist). At the ceremony, he played it beautifully as one would have expected. I found out later that he had never played it before and had learned it for this particular wedding ceremony. That stunned me, as I thought this was one of those pieces that every high school or college student learned.

There are so many paths one can take towards becoming an accomplished pianist, that the only similarity in rep probably happens in the elementary to intermediate baroque, classical, and romantic rep. After that I think paths diverge wildly.

www.elclandestinomusic.com

"Moralists have no place in an art gallery" ---Han Suyin

"Paint's not really a great thing to bring into a museum" ---Adam Sorenson, The Shape of Things
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by pianomad:
Is there an emphasis in Baroque, Classical, and Romantic style improvisation in European training that's absent in the U.S.? I don't know any pianists that can do that.
I do that! But I've studied theory, composition, and improvisation. I am also an organist. Many top-notch church organists easily improvise in any style.

Originally posted by whippen boy:
I do that! But I've studied theory, composition, and improvisation. I am also an organist. Many top-notch church organists easily improvise in any style.
Ah yes, I know plenty of excellent organists who improvise splendidly in any style. Doesn't that go with the territory? How important is improvisation to keyboard artists who play piano exclusively?

And, no no no, I don't count jazz improvisation. Jazz pianists are a dime a dozen. :p

"Paint's not really a great thing to bring into a museum" ---Adam Sorenson, The Shape of Things
Back to topic: I'll just say Claire de lune seems to fit the bill, at least for what people always ask for, and for what I like to play. smile
whippen boy,

I couldn't agree with you more! smile

“I love music passionately. And because I love it I try to free it from barren traditions that stifle it.”- Claude Debussy
S
S

And, no no no, I don't count jazz improvisation. Jazz pianists are a dime a dozen. :p
Are you familiar with Brad Mehldau? He's among the very best current, younger jazz pianists. I mention him because he's very indebted to the great Romantic composers, and even though he's classified as "jazz," his improvisations often sound more like Bach inventions or Brahms intermezzos.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
That reminds me of Nina Simone, whose jazz piano playing revealed her classical training - lots of contrapuntal material...very interesting.

Clair de lune ?

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
All,

An interesting proposition, to be sure. I would second the nominations for Claire de lune (and add "The Girl with the Flaxen Hair"), Happy Birthday, a Christmas song or two, and Fur Elise. I would add Bach-Hess "Jesu-Joy of Man's Desiring," a Chopin waltz and nocturne, "The Entertainer" and one other rag, and perhaps a song or two by Gershwin and Cole Porter, as well as "Unchained Melody." I also have had good response to "Je te veux" by Satie, though that is hardly in the public domain. I realize it all depends on what one means by "accomplished." Ceratainly, the WTC should be first on any pianist's list, but who among your public is going to request a prelude and fugue?

Cheers.

NY Steinway A 2005; Roland FP-7F/ FP-4
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I've been taking formal piano lessons for about 2 years now. I am learning the standard pieces, also. Having attended a few PianoWorld parties, it seems to me, there's value in learning pieces that every accomplished piano player should NOT know. Then we wouldn't be hearing the same pieces we know how to play - over and over again - played by others. laugh

It *is interesting* and enjoyable hearing other pianists interpretations of the pieces you know, though. smile

My theory is learning those standard pieces teaches you a variety of different techniques. And your piano teacher is, of course, going to teach you the music he/she knows. And guess what they know?: THE STANDARD PIANO PIECES.

Jeanne W

Music is about the heart and so should a piano be about the heart. - Pique

1920 Steinway A3
My Piano Delivery Thread:
https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/107473/1.html
B
BDB Offline
B
Serious pianists or students of piano music should have much of this in their library:

Handel's Suites
Scarlatti's Sonatas
Bach's Keyboard Works
Bach's sons' works

Haydn's Sonatas, D, G, and F major Concertos, Trios
Mozart's Concertos, Sonatas (including violin sonatas), Fantasies, Rondos, Variations, Quartets, Quintet
Beethoven's Sonatas (including violin and cello), Bagatelles, Variations, Concertos, Choral Fantasy, Trios
Shubert's Sonatas (including violin and arpeggione), Songs, Trios

Mendelssohn's Piano Works, Cello Sonatas, Trios, Concertos, including the violin concerto
Chopin's complete works
Schumann's complete piano works, concert works, including the Concerto, Quintet, songs

Brahms' complete works, especially the chamber music
Dvorak's chamber music

Debussy's piano works
Ravel's piano works
Rachmaninoff's piano works
Prokofiev's piano works
Stravinsky's piano works
Bartok's piano works

and a good selection from this list in their repertoire.

Semipro Tech
D
D
The so called "Overplayed Beethoven pieces"

- Fur Elise
- Sonata Pathetique
- Moonlight Sonata
- Waldstein Sonata
- Sonata Appassionata
- Sonata Hammerklavier <--- This isn't so overplayed XD in fact, it's very underplayed.

That's in my opinion..

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by Antonius Hamus:
[b] I don't think any accomplished pianist should know any particular work, but he or she should be able to pull off wonderfully and immediately upon request, with or without the sheet music, a number of Beethoven sonatas, at least two Mozart sonatas, about half an hour of Chopin, as much Liszt as Chopin, a couple of J. S. Bach preludes & fugas, and hours of sensible improvisation in the Classical style, as well as in the Romantic or Baroque style.
Is there an emphasis in Baroque, Classical, and Romantic style improvisation in European training that's absent in the U.S.? I don't know any pianists that can do that. [/b]
Couldn't say... I added that improvisation bit as something I personally would expect a truly accomplished pianist to be able to do, even though, and partly because, I know it's rather rare these days...

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by slowpogo:
Are you familiar with Brad Mehldau? He's among the very best current, younger jazz pianists. I mention him because he's very indebted to the great Romantic composers, and even though he's classified as "jazz," his improvisations often sound more like Bach inventions or Brahms intermezzos.
I know this is off-topic, but thanks for bring that name up. I've heard several of his recordings and have been very impressed. Another current jazz pianist I have admired is Fred Hersh. A recent CD of him playing Thelonious Monk gave me much pleasure!

Jason
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I'd agree with BDB's list above. My sheet music collection[1] and playing/listening preferences seems to correspond pretty much to that post. Though I'd also add a sprinkling of Liszt, Fauré, Albéniz, Granados, Scriabin, Poulenc, Messiaen and Hindemith, just for good measure smile

-Michael B.
[1] Although Scarlatti and Haydn seem quite badly represented. Any suggestions for good editions?

There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.
RE: the long lists, having those in your rep would certainly be impressive, but how many accomplished pianists do you know who can really boast this? Sure, they might rattle something off upon request, but mastering a work of music, let alone mastering a certain composer, is a daunting time-consuming task that few people have proper time to accomplish. If mastering one of these long lists is a requirement for becoming "accomplished", then this world has a severe shortage of accomplished pianists.

Oh, and I wanted to add to the tangent on jazz improvisation, I didn't mean to belittle jazz pianists at all. What I meant is, if you blindfold yourself and threw a stone into a crowd, you'd hit an accomplished jazz improvisor every single time, never someone who improvised strictly within the confines of baroque, classical, or romantic styles. Is improvisation in this manner really a requirement for an accomplished pianist? If so, this country, if not the world, has a severe shortage of accomplished pianists.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Reaper978:

Ahem? Isn't that a bit of a tall order, even for a concert pianist? I'd go into a coma before the WTC was finished.
Nadia Boulanger memorized both books of the WTC before she was 10 years old.

She is said to have memorized every piece of music that she came across-piano music, symphonies, operas, cantatas, everything.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, only what you are expecting to give, which is everything. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn
B
BDB Offline
B
Although Scarlatti and Haydn seem quite badly represented. Any suggestions for good editions?
The Kirkpatrick edition of 60 Scarlatti sonatas from Schirmers is a must for every pianist. Vienna Urtext and Henle are good for Haydn. Plus Doblinger for the trios, although that can get pricy.

Semipro Tech
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Good Scarlatti editions are Gilbert (probably out of print), Ricordi (Fadini, not Longo, and unfortunately not yet complete even after decades, and with a weird numbering system), Kirkpatrick (60 sonatas, Schirmer) and Hashimoto (100 sonatas, Schirmer). Editio Musica Budapest has an edition of 200 of the sonatas in 4 volumes, edited by one György Balla, which looks free of additions.

There is no end of learning. -Robert Schumann Rules for Young Musicians
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Editio Musica Budapest is what I use for Scarlatti. thumb

I also have some of the Ricordi edition, but for some odd reason it seem harder to read.

Accomplished pianists should have studied (not necessarily have memorized):

1. Chopin Etudes- These are critical for forming excellent technique.

2. Beethoven Sonatas- These are very good for developing expression.

3. Bach Preludes/Fugues- From the WTC, these are important for forming fine finger and other skills.

Yamaha C3 yay
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks to all who contributed to the info regarding Scarlatti and Haydn editions. I will sit down forthwith and compose my letter to Santa... smile

-Michael B.

There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
If you are not a Glenn Gould, you should have studied some of these pieces:

-Bach: Two-part and Three-part Inventions
-Bach: WTC
-Scarlatti: Sonatas
-Haydn/Mozart: Sonatas
-Beethoven: Sonatas
-Schubert: Sonatas
-Chopin: Etudes and other pieces
-Liszt: any work

The rest is your own choice.

Kawai ES-110

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is never enough for music."
-Sergei Rachmaninoff.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I don't think the modern rep is to be ignored. It developes your sense of musicianship and rhythm.

"Beauty is unbearable, drives us to despair, offering us for a minute the glimpse of an eternity that we should like to stretch out over the whole of time."

-Albert Camus,

Jim
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
There are two haydn editions I use, the könemann and some strange carisch edition which actually seems very good.

I don't think that knowing a bunch of pieces necessarily makes someone accomplished.

I once knew a guy who played a lot of stuff and none of it was that good. It all sounded muddled with too much pedal to cover up sloppy technique.

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
J.S Bach- a few preludes&fugues and 1 partita
Mozart- A few sonatas, 1/2 fantasy's and 1 or 2 concerto's
Beethoven&Haydn- A few sonatas and other pieces
Chopin- A few of any of his nocturnes,ballads,waltzs',preludes and a few etudes
Mendelssohn/Liszt/Schumann/Brahms:a few pieces
Rachmaninoff:a few preludes/etudes

Mastering:Chopin Etudes op.10 nos.8&12 and op.25 no.1, Chopin Scherzo no.4 in E major op.54, Mozart Sonata in B flat major K.333& Khachaturian Toccata
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission