2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 4 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by Tararex
I'm with you Mark.

And I'm with you! grin

....The assumption that newer members are unable to understand the concept of "date stamps" on old threads is a bit odd to say the least....

....but I'm not surprised at all that they often can't. What surprises me is that many older members don't seem easily to be able to tell. Likewise, that many older members don't seem easily able to tell which post a post is replying to (since except when posts are default-ly labeled as replying to the OP, it is shown at the top of the post.)

***many older members don't seem easily able to tell***
Combination of presbyopia and don't care a bit? laugh

In my case if I've got 20 windows open on VPN's into 5 different states I consider it a success if I post a proper reply to the correct forum.

Piano is hard work from beginning to forever.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by jdott
Sorry argerichfan (I also think she's terrific), but I'm still confused. The original post was Aug of 2008, then it jumped to July 2012. Why would some people be upset over 5 months when the earlier gap spanned almost four years? As an aside, I thought this was a pretty lively discussion.

Well just goes to show that I have not thought this out properly. Sorry for that.

crazy

Upon thinking about it more, well I guess it should not bother me, and it is always fun to interact with new people here. Mark does have a point, and ultimately if an old thread is resurrected, well what harm in that? I stand corrected.

Jason
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Tararex

***many older members don't seem easily able to tell***
Combination of presbyopia and don't care a bit? laugh

Be nice. wink

Jason
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by argerichfan
Sorry argerichfan (I also think she's terrific), but I'm still confused. The original post was Aug of 2008, then it jumped to July 2012. Why would some people be upset over 5 months when the earlier gap spanned almost four years? As an aside, I thought this was a pretty lively discussion.

Well just goes to show that I have not thought this out properly. Sorry for that....

I don't think you hadn't thought it out properly. I think he misunderstood it a bit. The people who are upset about the 5 month gap are upset over 4 year gaps too.

J
J
Trigalg693 (a mathematician?) we're in total agreement there. Performance wise, I think there are lots of Liszts today; I think we're sorely lacking in great composers, unfortunately.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Trigalg693 (a mathematician?) we're in total agreement there. Performance wise, I think there are lots of Liszts today; I think we're sorely lacking in great composers, unfortunately.

Super immature handle/name picked well over 10 years ago, but yes, still a (-n aspiring) mathematician, surprisingly!

Yea, composition seems to be a dying art, but maybe we just have the wrong perspective. There's Kennan, Ligeti, Vine, Rzewski, etc. and maybe in another century they'll be considered greats.

Last edited by trigalg693; 01/19/13 02:09 AM.
Originally Posted by trigalg693
....yes, still a (-n aspiring) mathematician....

You're kidding!
I had always read it as "tri-galg" -- not that I knew what a galg would be. ha

(And I even liked trig and alg....)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
tri-gal = a girl who likes to do triathlons, of course. That's how I read the name until recently...

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
J
J
My problem with a lot of the contemporary composers is I don't like the way it sounds. Beethoven, Schubert, Chopin, Liszt, Rachmaninoff: all we're Elvises IMHO. Rock stars one and all.

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Mark_C
BTW, what's much more offensive and contrary to etiquette is when somebody does like 8 posts in a row. ha

(Sorry folks, didn't even realize -- was just hanging' out.) smile

Actually, Mark, you're now up to 10 - in under 90 minutes. Was there a chugging contest at Starbucks tonight? A switch to brandy might be in order. laugh

Originally Posted by Old Man
Actually, Mark, you're now up to 10 - in under 90 minutes. Was there a chugging contest at Starbucks tonight? A switch to brandy might be in order. laugh

No, but we did have a really good dinner at a place we stumbled into. grin

Oh....and a non-decaffeinated cappuccino. ha

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Arghhh
tri-gal = a girl who likes to do triathlons, of course. That's how I read the name until recently...

I'm guessing you're a female triathlete.

F
F
This is nice. I haven't read this thread before and was a good read, I'm glad it was "resurrected". To those who seem to be losing sleep over this fact, why not just shut up and not read the thread if you know it's old?

Zaahir

Self-taught renegade - Kawai CL-36
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by floydthebarber71
This is nice. I haven't read this thread before and was a good read, I'm glad it was "resurrected". To those who seem to be losing sleep over this fact, why not just shut up and not read the thread if you know it's old?

What makes you think anyone is losing sleep over it? And why, once a zombie thread is resurrected, should anyone "just shut up", any more than you have?

Anyway, please explain me how one is supposed to know a thread is old when looking down the subject list of threads. I would love to know.

Last edited by wr; 01/19/13 07:22 AM.
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by wr
You didn't breach a thing.

For some of us, he did. I have an intense dislike of zombie threads, and I know there are many others who feel the same.

The very concept of a forum is dependent on the interaction of current users. That fact seems to be lost on a number of the current users.

If it were my forum, I'd be looking for some automated method of locking dormant threads. If someone was desperate to add on to some ancient stuff, they could simply start a new thread and give a link to the old one they wanted to reference in the first post. Or, if it was just some single posting that they wanted to respond to, they could just copy and paste whatever was relevant.

How exactly has the "interaction of current users" been impeded? Just today we've had the following people post to this thread:

jdott
AldenH
Mark C
RealPlayer
beet31425
pianoloverus
argerichfan
Tararex
Damon
Old Man
wr

All of the above are current users (1/18/2013 seems fairly current to me, anyway). The title of the thread is clearly visible. The only difference I see between this "zombie" thread and a "current" thread is that this thread contains comments that have an earlier time stamp.

So what is the source of your "intense dislike"? Other than these time stamps, and the names of people who may or may not still be posting, I'm not sure how how this thread differs from a current thread. The differences seem so superficial, I can't believe it's such an issue for you and the "many others who feel the same." I'm certainly no genius, but even I can handle time stamps.

The issue is apparently one of those "if you don't already understand it, there is no way to explain" things. At any rate, it has absolutely nothing to do with those who might have posted since the thread was resurrected.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Arghhh
Originally Posted by argerichfan

And not to mention some threads which had a very short shelf life at the time. Why not revive them if there are new members or older ones with fresh input?

Hear hear!

The new posts in Pianist Corner have been a little slow lately (or maybe it's just my perception), so I was happy to re-read this thread with some input from someone who was unable to post before.

I think it's nice to point out to new people if they try to answer a specific question that was asked years ago. I guess that may be a candidate for a "zombie thread". But otherwise, what's the harm? I don't think people would decide not to respond to a thread with a recent creation date because they already responded to an old thread.

For me, the problem isn't about responding to old threads, it's about how it is done.

Here's just one part of why I don't like the way this one was done - I look down the list of subjects when I come to the forum, see a thread I hadn't noticed before, open it, and am immediately plunged into a conversation in which I cannot partake, because most of the people are no longer here. That's annoying.

Then, realizing that it's a zombie thread, I have to go through it, scanning the dates, trying to find the one that was the one that resurrected the thread.

All of that could be avoided if the person resurrecting the thread simply started a new thread, with the same subject if they want, saying they had something to add, and put a link to the old one in their post.

F
F
Yeah, I guess I should be more tolerant to your OCD, since this is a public forum after all. I apologise and forgive you.

Zaahir

Self-taught renegade - Kawai CL-36
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by wr
The issue is apparently one of those "if you don't already understand it, there is no way to explain" things.

I understand. smile

Originally Posted by wr
....please explain me how one is supposed to know a thread is old when looking down the subject list of threads. I would love to know.

I gave a clue but you probably didn't see it because you think you know who isn't worth reading. grin

Here's just one part of why I don't like the way this one was done - I look down the list of subjects when I come to the forum, see a thread I hadn't noticed before....

That's what it was about, my dear friend. ha

I would love to know.

Apparently not. grin

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
You know, the real topic of this thread actually is interesting - and if someone had not added to it I would probably never have noticed it.

Too bad there are so many posts debating the rights and wrongs of reviving an old post -- (as if there really are any, I mean...seriously folks?) --- that we have to now wade through to see if there is anything else interesting.

I think some folks really get too wound up about stuff that really isn't worth it - and to call someone out as being impolite, or to tell someone to shut up (different posters)... well, that's just not very friend is it?

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission