2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 11 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ditto for me doing 109.

koji (STSD)

"I'm a concert pianist--that's a pretentious way of saying I'm unemployed at the moment."--Oscar Levant

http://www.youtube.com/kojiattwood
https://www.giftedmusicschool.org/
C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
I wonder if they will let me play one of my own works for my senior recital..if not I will sneak it in at the encore anyway. laugh

B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
Do it, and then do it for auditions also. You'll have something that no one else does.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
In looking at different music schools, the most common undergrad audition requirements I've seen go pretty much like this:

Raspberry liqueur, apparently. :p
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
In looking at different music schools, I've seen these requirements several times:

1. a prelude and fugue from the WTC, or another work by Bach that contains a fugue
2. a classical sonata by Mozart, Haydn, or a sonata by Beethoven(sometimes they also include the numbers of sonatas they do NOT want to hear)
3. a romantic work (sometimes they list composers)
4. a twentieth century work.

Raspberry liqueur, apparently. :p
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That's pretty much the standard fare (I was always amused by the 20th century requirement, as hardly anyone plays anything past 1920 anyway. I commented once to Lowenthal about the fact that are they going to change the requirements when we reach the 21st century?)
Curtis (if it's still this way) has rather strange requirements: Bach, Classical sonata and two chopin works.

koji (STSD)

"I'm a concert pianist--that's a pretentious way of saying I'm unemployed at the moment."--Oscar Levant

http://www.youtube.com/kojiattwood
https://www.giftedmusicschool.org/
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Thracozaag:
are they going to change the requirements when we reach the 21st century?)

koji (STSD)
Daddy, aren't we there yet?

laugh

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Originally posted by BruceD:
[b]are they going to change the requirements when we reach the 21st century?)

koji (STSD)

laugh [/b]
confused
huh?-is koji yer father?!
WHO'S YA DADDY?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Lemon Scented:
Originally posted by BruceD:
[b]
[b]are they going to change the requirements when we reach the 21st century?)

koji (STSD)

laugh [/b]
confused
huh?-is koji yer father?!
WHO'S YA DADDY? [/b]
Lemon Scented,

Why are you dredging up threads that are more than a year old?

If you have something to add to the discussion there might be a case for this, but - like your post above - if you have nothing constructive to add, you should let sleeping threads lie.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
As for judges being likely to have mixed/different ideas, that's true for everything. That's why I don't like auditions/competitions that only have one judge.
I'd like to briefly comment on judges and judging. My background for this is unfortunately somewhat limited in the musical world, and so I will be speaking from more of a "universal judging perspective." My background for this is quite extensive, starting with my martial arts background and filtering down through everything else I have done in descending order of "impressiveness".

In most endeavors, judging panels are usually comprised of "coaches/teachers/mentors/etc" and "past/semi-current performers". In the case of the latter, your job is quite easy. Find performances of that particular judge and extrapolate what they interpret. In the case of the former, it is slightly more difficult and tedious because you will often have to filter through their students. Afterwards, compile the data and structure your own interpretation accordingly for maximum chance of "pleasing" the most number of judges to the greatest degree.

This may not benefit you for auditions, but it will serve you well in later competitions if you go that route. Now, it would seem there is a nice little shortcut in music that doesn't always exist in other art forms (particularly since performers are being judged on past works that have not changed in 100+ years). Read publications by the judges to see whose interpretations they appreciate, and then model your own after those interpretations, bringing to light the important aspects of each.

As an art, this will lead (and perhaps has already led) to "standardized" interpretations, where anything but is considered faux pas. This is why I do not like competitions in artistic fields. Yes, it promotes ability so that individual competitors push themselves to be the best, but it also promotes an inherently conservative approach whereby the values of those who "came before" are more important than current trends (since it is more-likely to have older judges on a panel than a group of individuals the same age or younger than the competitors). Thus, the art seeks to please what was instead of what is, and then we run into the brick wall of extinction...because the world moves on even if you don't. (But this is another topic.)

So, I hope some of that helped, though I think it may be of more benefit to competitors and teachers of students who want to be competitors. It has been a day for me of too much thought already...so I will now go de-intellectualize with some sort of youthful debauchery. wink

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission