Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
83 registered (beet31425, Beemer, A2mom, Ben_NZ, AZNpiano, 25 invisible), 1051 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#387204 - 01/27/08 06:51 PM Conducting?
Reaper978 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hey,

I've been listening to more orchestral works recently and trying to make sense of the enormous amount of information flying by in the full orchestral score.

How exactly are conductors taught? Certainly they do not have orchestras sitting around waiting for novice conductors to take the helm of Beethoven symphonies.

How much control do conductors really have over the orchestra? I would think that intricate nuances like slight accents with different notes on different instruments and other such things would be easily lost.

Can someone please enlighten?

-Colin

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#387205 - 01/27/08 07:29 PM Re: Conducting?
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
It is my understanding that they study the score, then they conduct to a recording for practice.

The conductor is the one who decides what should be done musically, so I would say that's a lot of control. They also unify everyone so that the same thing is being expressed by all instruments.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#387206 - 01/27/08 07:40 PM Re: Conducting?
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Morodiene:
It is my understanding that they study the score, then they conduct to a recording for practice.

The conductor is the one who decides what should be done musically, so I would say that's a lot of control. They also unify everyone so that the same thing is being expressed by all instruments. [/b]
I'd think that the concert master would have a lot of control, particularly when it's a guest conductor involved.

Also, they don't necessarily get a lot of rehearsal time before the performances. There's only so much you can do, interpretation-wise, during a few hours.

#387207 - 01/27/08 09:18 PM Re: Conducting?
keystring Offline

Loc: Canada
 Quote:
Also, they don't necessarily get a lot of rehearsal time before the performances. There's only so much you can do, interpretation-wise, during a few hours.
Surely orchestras do not only rehearse a few hours before the concert. At the least, a few weeks before?

About the first question: there is conductor education for conductors. I attended a performance conducted by a student conductor who was being graded in the wings by his professor. This was his graduate performance.

#387208 - 01/27/08 09:26 PM Re: Conducting?
computerpro3 Offline

Loc: Connecticut/Cincinnati
You would be surprised. Here at CCM we just did a performance of Beethoven's 4th concerto - one of my friends was the soloist. They only rehearsed three times and for 30min each time.

He got to do exactly one run through before the performance.

Not only that, but it was a student conductor as well.

Ridiculous if you ask me, but that's how it works. Unfortunately, it showed during the performance. I'm almost hoping I don't win the concerto competition next year so I don't have to play with a student conductor with only one run through.

#387209 - 01/27/08 09:37 PM Re: Conducting?
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by keystring:
 Quote:
Surely orchestras do not only rehearse a few hours before the concert. At the least, a few weeks before? [/b]
Don't count on it.

Laura Jackson, the assistant conductor of the Atlanta Symphony, told us in a guest lecture that they have rehearsal Tuesday-Thursday, and then perform Friday-Sunday. Sometimes less than that -- she said that sometimes the first performance is really a rehearsal.

#387210 - 01/27/08 10:05 PM Re: Conducting?
tomasino Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Here's a conductor's forum:

http://www.conductor.org/

We might be able to lurk around and pick up some information about Reaper's questions.

Tomasino
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

#387211 - 01/27/08 10:07 PM Re: Conducting?
keystring Offline

I must say I'm not too experienced. We have the NAC and OSO over here and they sound like they rehearse. I saw one performance (elsewhere) conducted by a student conductor with his professor in the wings grading him, and this was akin to his "thesis" or juries for graduating. It was superb. The student musicians first rehearsed in sectionals, then together under the conductor, and I wondered whether the same thing would happen in professional orchestras.

#387212 - 01/27/08 10:52 PM Re: Conducting?
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Most professional orchestras rehearse the week of the concert. Often Monday-Friday, then concerts Friday and Saturday night.

Conductors are often trained by working with pianists. The transcriptions of the Beethoven symphonies for 2 pianos is often used. (This is only possible at larger and better schools that have pianists who can sightread at that level.)

Also, conductors do a great deal outside of rehearsal. They will work with the concertmaster and other members of the orchestra on interpretation before rehearsals begin. (Bowings and other details will show up in the parts...) They are also responsible for being the public face of the orchestra and negotiating the season's repertoire and guest artists.

Today, most conductors have basically three jobs: conducting/rehearsing, planning the season, and fund-raising and PR. It's not uncommon to find conductors working with a city's political and business leaders on trying to make the symphony a positive and valued force in the community.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#387213 - 01/28/08 12:29 AM Re: Conducting?
keystring Offline

Thank you for the explanation.

#387214 - 01/28/08 01:15 AM Re: Conducting?
BDB Online   content

Loc: Oakland
Our municipal band rehearses the morning of the concert. Sometimes they perform pieces they have not rehearsed. There is rarely a complete play-through.

There was a good article about the life of musicians in yesterday's San Francisco Chronicle. You can read it here.

#387215 - 01/29/08 03:29 PM Re: Conducting?
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
That was a very interesting article, BDB; thanks for posting it. I was particularly struck by this sentence:

"In a good year, a musician working steadily might earn $40,000, and that's with no benefits; musicians either cover their own health insurance or do without."

The article was talking about musicians who pieced together part-time jobs at smaller orchestras. Presumably if you're lucky enough to get a full-time position you'd earn more... but gee whiz, I though *I* was underpaid.

Here in Lexington, the long-time conductor of our orchestra is retiring at the end of the year. So this year we've been bringing in the finalists for a trial performance. It's been an interesting experience so far.

#387216 - 01/29/08 05:23 PM Re: Conducting?
Loki Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
 Quote:
Originally posted by pianojerome:
 Quote:
Originally posted by keystring:
 Quote:
Surely orchestras do not only rehearse a few hours before the concert. At the least, a few weeks before? [/b]
Don't count on it.

Laura Jackson, the assistant conductor of the Atlanta Symphony, told us in a guest lecture that they have rehearsal Tuesday-Thursday, and then perform Friday-Sunday. Sometimes less than that -- she said that sometimes the first performance is really a rehearsal. [/b]
Well, at that level, I think that many of the orchestra members will have experience with most of the repertoire that is played.

#387217 - 01/29/08 08:22 PM Re: Conducting?
epf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Central Texas
I took conducting in college years and years ago (it was so long ago that only had a percussion section composed of big rocks and little rocks). The bulk of our work was studying scores and "conducting" sections of recordings under the steely gaze of the instructor. I was only minoring in music, and this class was the only one available to me at the time I needed for the credits I needed to finish my minor. I never actually conducted a live orchestra in class.

Ed

YouTube Channel

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to determine felt thickness without specifications?
by JoeThePro
12/20/14 01:09 AM
Trill technique question
by pianolearnerstride
12/19/14 10:19 PM
Anyone use a seat cushion?
by DeadPoets
12/19/14 08:48 PM
Lester Betsy Ross Spinet- worth?
by cobalt60
12/19/14 08:22 PM
How deep into the tuning hammer should pin go?
by JoeThePro
12/19/14 07:37 PM
Forum Stats
77362 Members
42 Forums
160006 Topics
2349694 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission