2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, 13 invisible), 1,860 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Bartok wrote:

"In maintaining that the question of the origin of a theme is completely unimportant from the artist's point of view, Stravinsky is right. The question of origins can only be interesting from the point of view of musical documentation."

(from "The Influence of Peasant Music on Modern Music" (1931))

-----

So, what do you think?

If you are playing a Hungarian Rhapsody by Liszt, does it matter to you if the themes are folk themes, or if they are made up by Liszt in a Hungarian style?

If you are playing Romanian Dances by Bartok, does it matter to you if the themes are actual folk melodies, or if they are simply made up by Bartok in a folksy style?

If you are playing "A Fifth of Beethoven" by Walter Murphy (disco version of Beethoven's 5th), does it matter to you if the theme comes from a symphony by Beethoven or if it was made up by Murphey in a Beethovenian style?

Another important question is, even if it does matter to you to know, does it make any difference in the way that you play the music?

Sam
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Musicologists probably like to get into these details. But for me, it does not matter where the original theme is from and does not make any difference in the way I play the music.

T
T
I firmly believe in playing music however it sounds to you.

People attempt to play hayden and bach in manners that closely resemble those of the original instrument. I dont particularly like this.

As time evolves music evolves and musical instruments as well. Liszt and Chopin would have composed totally different if they were still playing on harpsichords. The music they created changed because the instrument changed.

Why make a piece by hayden sound like what he would regularly hear when you can make it sound possibly better. What I mean is: adapt the piece to the instrument, not the otherway around.

Sorry if ive typed funny. Just spent 6 hours around people who dont speak 100% fluid english and their words are mixing with my current thought. I remember everything people say unfortunately.

Seriously
T
T
I firmly believe in playing music however it sounds to you.

People attempt to play hayden and bach in manners that closely resemble those of the original instrument. I dont particularly like this.

As time evolves music evolves and musical instruments as well. Liszt and Chopin would have composed totally different if they were still playing on harpsichords. The music they created changed because the instrument changed.

Why make a piece by hayden sound like what he would regularly hear when you can make it sound possibly better. What I mean is: adapt the piece to the instrument, not the otherway around.

Sorry if ive typed funny. Just spent 6 hours around people who dont speak 100% fluid english and their words are mixing with my current thought. I remember everything people say unfortunately.

Seriously
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
This reminds me of my latest classical conspiracy thing:

The opening of Mozart's Bastien und Bastienne, and the opening of the Eroica. wink

"See?! The Cliffs of Insanity!"
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I think it depends on what you want to do with the music. If you intend to try and play a piece like the folk-music that inspired it, then I suppose it is to your benefit to hear the original folk music. However, if you intend to play the piece as you hear it, then this is an irrelevant step. wink

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,259
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission