Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#390653 - 03/14/06 05:19 PM Repertoire HELP! Thanks.
lagin Offline

Loc: B.C., Canada
I'm thinking of changing my Sonata in my program from Mozart's D major, K311, to Schubert's A major, op. 120, D664. The sonata portion will be worth 25 % of my final grade, so I really want to make sure that it is something I can play and play well, but I still want it to have some contrast with the rest of my program that I am not willing to change. I'm worried I'm going too Romantic and loosing my variation by ditching the Mozart. What do you all think? BTW, I haven't learned any of these yet, for I have 3 more months to finish my current program first.

List A: Bach Toccata and fugue in e minor, BVW 914 (kinda romantic opening)
List B: to be decided upon (Don't have the hand size for the Beethoven from the list, and need a Major key work to offset all my minor keyed works)
List C: Chopin Nocturne in c# minor, op. 27, no.1 (very romantic, of course)
List D: Rachmaninoff Prelude in g minor, op. 23, no.5 (this is a popular piece, so you probably already know it, and that Rach is rather Romantic compared to the other early 20th century composers)
List E: Barber's Excursions no. 3 and 4 (the first one is quite lyrical, the second one is NOT)
Etude: Morel's Deux etudes de sonorite, no. 2 (this is NOT ROMANTIC music!)

I know some programs should sort of tie together and that being the case, this would work well, but my teacher wants me to have lots of variety. To be honest, I'm also concerned that I wouldn't be able to make a clean run of the Mozart in the exam. The hardest thing I've played so far is the first mvmt. of Pathetique and it gives you those nice graves in the heat of things, which the Mozart's 1st and 2nd movements surely do not.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#390654 - 03/14/06 05:34 PM Re: Repertoire HELP! Thanks.
lagin Offline

On second thought, or rather, second listen, I do like Mozart better than the Schubert. So I guess my question really is, is it an insane work to do on a final exam? It seems so hard to make clean. Scales (and solid chords) are my strongest technique (arpeggios are the worst with broken chords in the middle), and Mozart seems very "scaley" haha, but very fast too!

#390655 - 03/14/06 05:40 PM Re: Repertoire HELP! Thanks.
Contrapunctus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Whittier, California
It all depends on you. Some people are better at learning Classical rep whilst others are better at the Romantic(most people). You should do what you are comfortable with. It's all right if there are alot of pieces from the same era unless your teacher says otherwise, of course. After all, if you can play well, you'll make whatever you play sound convincing.

#390656 - 03/14/06 07:20 PM Re: Repertoire HELP! Thanks.
lagin Offline

Hmmmmm, I just listened to the Schubert AGAIN, and it is definately growing on me. I think I'll take your advice Contrapunctus, and thus, do the Schubert, as I think technically I could give a better performance of it for where I'm at right now. Thank you. Now, just to convice my teacher.........Good thing she's easy going!

#390657 - 03/14/06 07:42 PM Re: Repertoire HELP! Thanks.
yok Offline

Loc: New Zealand
I wouldn't assume the Schubert to be technically easier than the Mozart. If hand span is an issue for you, there is a tenth in the RH of the opening bar of the Schubert (of course you can spread it but I think it sounds better not). There's also an 11th in bar 19, but I think this one is ok to split. There's also a bar in the finale that I find really knotty (isn't there always ONE!) 19 bars into the development.

From a musical point of view, I think the Mozart has a wonderful slow movement but the rondo is a bit on the long side (same with K.309's). A high classical work would sit well in your programme from the point of view of balance.

#390658 - 03/14/06 08:42 PM Re: Repertoire HELP! Thanks.
justbecause Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
IMHO - go with the Mozart. The passage work will come together in 3 months time. Schubert tends to be extremely hard to pull off musically and also requires much more time to make it happen on stage (and quite many performances).I wouldn't worry about offsetting the balance in favor of the romantic style - quite many pianists and musicologists consider Schubert part of the Viennese school.

#390659 - 03/14/06 09:07 PM Re: Repertoire HELP! Thanks.
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
lagin :

I would also vote for the Mozart as a marginally better "foil" for the Romanticism of the rest of your program.

Where in BC are you? I, too, am working on the Schubert D664 (I love it!), and am about to start comin to grips with the third movement. We could compare notes, as it were on the Schubert. I have several interpretation questions I'd love to discuss with someone else who's played it.

Soon, I hope to have a teacher; that will help immeasurably.

Go for the clean, crisp Mozart.

Regards,

#390660 - 03/14/06 09:11 PM Re: Repertoire HELP! Thanks.
lagin Offline

Hey yok, I can stretch a tenth, but not if there are notes in between. Is there any? I will have to order the score before I can look at it, for I don't own it. (Unless someone wants to email it to me at la_ginn@yahoo.ca *hint* *hint* -don't worry, I always buy the real copy if I decide to learn it). Oh right, justbecause! I totally forgot that Schubert was considered to be a tag on to the Viennese school. Btw, I wasn't being very clear before. I have 3 months to finish my *old* stuff off, but will actually have around 2 years to learn this new program. I'm just picking my pieces early. What did you mean by, "it takes much more time to make it happen on stage" ? Is it because it is much denser music, or just because it is much more filled with serious emotion?

Yok, what is a "high" classical work? Does that mean like Mozart or Hadyn as oppossed to Beethoven or Schubert?

You both say Mozart just when I'm getting really sold on this Schubert! (Things grow on me quickly). The one thing I was thinking about too, recently, was that, in my previous exams I always seem to get the highest marks with pieces that are really lyrical and filled with emotion and rubato, ect. It was sort of a joke at first because I used to think the faster the piece was the better it was. I only did my slow pieces because I HAD to, and yet, I would get stuff like 11/12 on them. Now that I am infinately more mature *cough* I do really appreciate the lyrical stuff now. So that's another reason I was leaning towards Schubert after Contrapunctus' comment on doing what I could perform the best. I think it's because I'm an emotional female, haha! It does seem to be a trait though. I performed/butchered the 1st move. of the Pathetique the other month (I was so tired, and not warmed up, AND didn't know I was playing 2 pieces on top of it all), and a teacher came up to me and told me that she love my middle Grave, but to just have more fun with the rest of it! It makes me a bit leary of performing pieces that are "all fire," because though I can do it, all these educated musical people keep preferring the what I used to call "sappy" stuff. (Don't worry, I've grown out of hating Chopin, too!). That's my defense of Schubert anyway. But now, you've got me scared of the reaches. Does anyone know if that 10th has a note inbetween? I play a piece with 10ths in it now, but I hang off the keyboard to do it.

#390661 - 03/14/06 10:54 PM Re: Repertoire HELP! Thanks.
yok Offline

Loc: New Zealand
You can probably download a copy to look at from sheetmusicarchive.net

Anyway, the chord in question is C#-A-E. Actually I just played it and spreading it is no problem provided the E at the top blends in well to the melody line. I've probably given you an unnecessary worry there!

High classical is a vague term I used rather lazily. I just mean it comes from the heart of the classical period and contains many elements of standard classical sonata style - a sonata allegro 1st movement, slow movement with lots of rococo ornaments and other decoration, and a rondo finale. As justbecause says, Schubert is classical too (and this is fairly early Schubert as well.) By all means play it if it appeals to you more.

#390662 - 03/14/06 11:26 PM Re: Repertoire HELP! Thanks.
lagin Offline

Thanks yok! Yes, I can spread that and voice the E fairly easily, nothing like the 10ths I am dealing with now! I have a G to B 10th in the left hand that I keep jumping and landing on at a fairly fast tempo in one of my pieces by Poulenc. My hands have FINALLY stretched to the point where I'm not taking down the A beside the B all the time.

I actually already looked at the sheetmusicarchive.net site, but they do not have this particular sonata uploaded. I will have to order it from Vancouver I think. (Yes, we live SO in the middle of nowhere that I need to order my sheetmusic from a city 6 hours away!). I will give them a call tomorrow I think. Thanks everyone.

I'm rather pleased now. I was SO excited about all my pieces except the Mozart. It was the only one that I was not totally pumped to learn. In fact, I've started working on some of my new pieces to give myself a bit of a break from the old ones before exam and festival season picks up again, and I was totally avoiding the Mozart. I think I just needed to find something that I could relate to well. If I feel like I can relate to it, then my love of the piece overcomes the technical obsticles. But if I don't really like the piece, I just complain about how hard it will be. I was REALLY worried it would be too much lyrical stuff in my program, but you guys are giving me courage there. Thanks. I'm really really starting to like the Schubert more every time I listen to it. I can't wait to get the sheets!

#390663 - 03/14/06 11:34 PM Re: Repertoire HELP! Thanks.
lagin Offline

Sorry Bruce! I totally just saw your post for the first time. I haven't played either the Schubert or the Mozart yet, but if you want to discuss interpretive suggestions, I'd be willing to do my best. I have access to some nice recordings, and I do teach a bit, and have played Schubert before (One of his impromptus), but I'm not sure that is the sort of help you were probably hoping for. Sorry! I won't seriously be learning these pieces until after I pass my grade 10 exam, hopefully on the first try, which will be June 15th. I am playing around with them now though, just not seriously.

Btw, I do agree with you that the Mozart would be nice and clean and probably the better of the two as far as a nice contrast goes. On the other hand, if my teacher agrees, I'd like to try the Schubert after all because I think I will be able to give a better performance of it when all is said and done. (To be totally honest, I have never fully learned anything by Mozart because I'm just starting to like him).

I live in Vernon, B.C. which is between Kelowna and Kamloops, though I'm closer to Kelowna. How about you?

#390664 - 03/15/06 02:09 AM Re: Repertoire HELP! Thanks.
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
lagin :

I'm in Victoria.

Regards,

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
109 registered (accordeur, ando, Almaviva, 27 invisible), 1526 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153537 Topics
2250027 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What is the strangest thing you have found inside a piano?
by That Tooner
Yesterday at 11:18 PM
Kawai vs Ritmuller
by cromax
Yesterday at 11:08 PM
Considering going into debt for a Steinway grand
by joonsang
Yesterday at 10:38 PM
Best Glue for Damper Pads
by JMichaelWilson
Yesterday at 10:07 PM
Went to the store and tried out lots of DPs
by lang15
Yesterday at 09:18 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission