Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#394507 - 07/19/08 11:51 PM Has the web impacted your piano playing in a positive or negative way or neither?
Wise Idiot Offline

hmmm, sorta made it compulsive

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#394508 - 07/19/08 11:52 PM Re: Has the web impacted your piano playing in a positive or negative way or neither?
Wise Idiot Offline

just take into consideration the time spent you see others playing their pieces that have been posted as clips on the Net.

#394509 - 07/20/08 01:58 AM Re: Has the web impacted your piano playing in a positive or negative way or neither?
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
I rarely spend time listening/watching videos on the Internet, unless a Piano World member has asked to critique a video performance.

Regards,

#394510 - 07/20/08 02:47 AM Re: Has the web impacted your piano playing in a positive or negative way or neither?
Ted2 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
No, videos of people playing have done little for me in themselves.

However, the web has introduced me to many interesting pianists and musicians around the world, several of whom have now become friends. I do not use the web per se, just to get interesting contacts to whom I then write and exchange ideas at the personal level.

The web has enabled me to purchase recordings and scores I could have obtained in no other way.

The web has thousands of interesting essays and articles about music and piano playing. Many of these have helped me considerably.

The web, largely through its forums, has enabled me to help a surprising number of people. I would not have thought myself much use to anybody concerning music and playing the piano but it has turned out that I am. This is a pleasing consequence of the web.

So, to answer the title question as it stands, without restriction to just videos, I would have to say that the impact of the web on my music has been completely positive in every way.

#394511 - 07/20/08 03:17 AM Re: Has the web impacted your piano playing in a positive or negative way or neither?
Es Offline

Loc: Birmingham, United Kingdom
purely positive.

i, too, don't watch videos of others - with the obvious exception of wonderful precious ones like Michealangeli, Cortot, Rubinstein etc on YouTube because otherwise, i would have no way of watching them play. of course they're good not only for learning purposes, but also for enjoyment. \:D

#394512 - 07/20/08 07:03 AM Re: Has the web impacted your piano playing in a positive or negative way or neither?
DragonPianoPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
It's mixed -

Positive, because I work on polishing more pieces for recording I post.

Negative, because I spend too much time on the internet.

Rich

#394513 - 07/20/08 07:47 AM Re: Has the web impacted your piano playing in a positive or negative way or neither?
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I watch quite a few internet performances. For the last 7 years, I lived in West Texas and didn't get a chance to see many good pianists perform, so watching videos and listening to recordings on the internet has been a nice way to stay connected.

I'll probably watch less now that I live in a piano-friendly college town (lots of live performances here in IC.)
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#394514 - 07/20/08 08:13 AM Re: Has the web impacted your piano playing in a positive or negative way or neither?
babama Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
Positive because listening to lots of material on youtube from the (old) masters or good amateurs inspires me to practice/play.

#394515 - 07/20/08 09:01 AM Re: Has the web impacted your piano playing in a positive or negative way or neither?
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA
Definitely positive, for many reasons others have listed like access to information and performance videos, and feeling like a part of a music community. And what about the astounding amount of public-domain sheet music that's freely available?

I can't see any downside other than the amount of time I spend at the computer. But I used to sit in front of one all day at work, so I'm used to it—and I watch a lot less television.

In fact, I watch very little YouTube—but I'm glad it's there.

Steven

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
—Albert Schweitzer

Chopin: Allegro de Concert Op. 46
Schumann: Toccata Op. 7
Fauré: Ballade Op. 19

#394516 - 07/20/08 09:33 AM Re: Has the web impacted your piano playing in a positive or negative way or neither?
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
I was like a kid in a candy store when I discovered youtube. I have probably thousands of videos of world class pianists(stored by the pianist's name)and continually find it enjoyable to watch them.

#394517 - 07/20/08 10:43 AM Re: Has the web impacted your piano playing in a positive or negative way or neither?
RonaldSteinway Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Positive!!

Whenever I need to learn a new piece, I just went to Youtube, and listened to many examples.

In addition, I also can learn from others' mistakes.

#394518 - 07/20/08 12:43 PM Re: Has the web impacted your piano playing in a positive or negative way or neither?
hopinmad Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Eryri/Manchester
Great thread!

Definitely positive purely for the motivation it provides.

#394519 - 07/20/08 03:45 PM Re: Has the web impacted your piano playing in a positive or negative way or neither?
Palindrome Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Negative effect on my playing (if I had spent the time practicing that I do here or surfing looking for performances on disc or YouTube, I'd be a lot better), but it's certainly taught me a lot, made some friends, and helped me increase my CD collection. I'm unlikely to catch up with Kluurs in that area, however \:\(

#394520 - 07/22/08 12:01 AM Re: Has the web impacted your piano playing in a positive or negative way or neither?
WildWillie Offline

Loc: Austin TX
Very, very positive. I love messing around with different music, even if it's way beyond my technique. I find it very helpful to hear what the piece is (at least nominally) supposed to sound like before launching in to it. Maybe it's a lack of formal training, but I often have difficulty guessing the way something should sound like without hearing it (Szymanowski sonatas, most recent).

Also I find it very inspiring to see great performances. I spent a few minutes last PM watching Horowitz play Scriabin etudes. If that doesn't make you want to practice I don't know what can.

And finally, I had never heard of Marc-Andre Hamelin, Martha Argerich, Georges Cziffra, or Claudio Arrau (to name a few) until I hit youtube. Am I ignorant? Yeah, I guess so. There were certain pianists I liked and I tended to always buy their CDs (Horowitz, Rubinstein, Brendel, Ashkenazy, Van Cliburn, Richter, a few others). Lesson learned. Youtube has opened my eyes to a lot of great pianists.

For all of the above I must say that the web has had a very positive impact on me, at least with respect to music and the piano. If the stupid spam in my email would just go away . . .

#394521 - 07/22/08 09:37 AM Re: Has the web impacted your piano playing in a positive or negative way or neither?
Auntie Lynn Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
It has been an invaluable research resource. BTW, I have no use for YouTube...

#394522 - 07/23/08 05:12 AM Re: Has the web impacted your piano playing in a positive or negative way or neither?
Boira Offline

Loc: Barcelona
Definitely positive.
If it wasn't for the internet, I wouldn't be taking lessons right now.

It may sound weird or ignorant, but I always thought that the process of music learning was forbidden to adults, that it was a privilege for children. If you didn't take lessons as a child, oh what a pity you're definitely late, there's no second chance for you.
But surfing the net I learn there is not only possible for an adult to learn, but also that there're LOTS of adult students doing really well.

As for youtube, I have found there interpreters and music which have inspired me and widen my musical horizons.

[Edited for typos]

#394523 - 07/23/08 05:37 AM Re: Has the web impacted your piano playing in a positive or negative way or neither?
Arabesque Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Japan
Definitely positive. Through the web I can consult with other pianists and musicians. This is something I can't do here. Also I find many other pianist at different levels playing the same repertoire on YouTube. I also get to hear new pieces that I have no chance of hearing otherwise. I also enjoy studying theory through the various online ear training media.

#394524 - 07/23/08 10:23 AM Re: Has the web impacted your piano playing in a positive or negative way or neither?
KeysOnTheCeiling Offline

youtube videos have been really inspiring to me, although I spend too much time online when I should probably be practicing more.

#394525 - 07/23/08 12:19 PM Re: Has the web impacted your piano playing in a positive or negative way or neither?
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
unalloyed positive

#394526 - 07/23/08 12:45 PM Re: Has the web impacted your piano playing in a positive or negative way or neither?
SantaFe_Player Offline
500 Post Club Member

The Web has had absolutely no influence on my playing at all. It has influenced my shopping and my personal communications, it has revolutionized my research and work life, but has had no influence on my piano playing per se, other than to allow me to order special editions of repertoire that might not be available in our little city.

#394527 - 07/23/08 12:49 PM Re: Has the web impacted your piano playing in a positive or negative way or neither?
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Good and bad.

Good--youtube videos

Bad--youtube videos

I also spend way too much time on the Internet when I should be practicing.

#394528 - 07/24/08 01:04 AM Re: Has the web impacted your piano playing in a positive or negative way or neither?
SteveM Offline

Loc: Boston, MA
I returned to piano after 15 years, mainly I recall because of watching Rafal Blechacz Winner's Recital on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L28aSoUfp6Q

I haven't quite reached his level yet...

#394529 - 07/24/08 10:50 AM Re: Has the web impacted your piano playing in a positive or negative way or neither?
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
The internet and this forum in particular is virtually the only access I have to fellow pianists.

#394530 - 07/24/08 11:59 AM Re: Has the web impacted your piano playing in a positive or negative way or neither?
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
mostly positive to me, especially a lot of youtube videos of the well known pianists i hardly have chances to ever see playing alive.

the bad part is, of course, spending too much time online when i should play or practice myself...

#394531 - 07/24/08 01:50 PM Re: Has the web impacted your piano playing in a positive or negative way or neither?
toucanjunky Offline

Loc: London. UK
As I write this post I'm listening to Heinrich Neuhaus playing Scriabin Piano Concerto Op. 2 on Youtube.

Scriabin Piano Concerto

This is typical of the profound effect the internet has had on my appreciation of piano music and piano playing. I wasn't aware of this piece until it was mentioned in this post

Beginner Concertos

Youtube allows me to listen, enjoy and immerse myself in so
much wonderful music old and and new.

Chris

#394532 - 07/24/08 02:08 PM Re: Has the web impacted your piano playing in a positive or negative way or neither?
Marshbaby Offline

Loc: Ankeny Iowa
One thing I'll say for the internet: it is a double edged sword. On one hand, it allows for unprecedented access to music in all forms and it allows for the viewing of great performers from the 1930s on. Want to learn a Billy Joel song? 10 minute lesson on youtube and you've got it.
But the internet has caused me to learn more silly pieces such as 1,000 miles by Vanessa Carlton and the Super Mario theme song (surprisingly complex) just because they are available to me.

If fingering issues should arise, this forum is a huge help.

The other edge of the sword: Just imagine what the world would be like if we all practiced for as much time as we spend on the internet.
"Pianos are putting me through college!"
Baldwin R

#394533 - 07/24/08 11:21 PM Re: Has the web impacted your piano playing in a positive or negative way or neither?
Emanuel Ravelli Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia
I've spent way too much time exploring the musical back alleys of YouTube, and I don't regret any of it. I've seen and heard performances there that, but for the tiny space they're staged in, rival some of the best live concerts I've seen. This thread inspired me to go back for another look tonight, and I stumbled across something memorable that I wanted others to know about.

Nelson Freire has been one of my favorite living pianists since I first heard him 20 years ago. Tonight, I found one smaller and one huge video about him on You Tube. The smaller one, the great finale from Beethoven's Waldstein sonata, was filmed at a Cliburn Foundation concert last year. The music is pure magic. Here's the link:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zIOLJl3GlFY

The big piece is a 10-part Brazilian documentary about Freire (with English sub-titles) which features lots of footage with him joking and playing with Martha Argerich, reminiscing about Guiomar Novaes, and playing solo and concerto pieces all over the world. Some very interesting musings about the solitary life of the concert pianist. It's been a long time since I said this, but this film reminded me how glad I am to have made a career in law rather than music. And to be grateful that there are even a few people in the world with the talent possessed by Nelson Freire. Here's the link to Part 1 -- you;ll find the other 9 once you get there.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5D230v9wMwg

#394534 - 07/24/08 11:25 PM Re: Has the web impacted your piano playing in a positive or negative way or neither?
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
it sure has helped my repertoire.

i only used to play chopin etudes.. i had learned very little else. I fell in love with Bach, dabbled in Mozart, Schumann, Rachmaninoff and Scarlatti, met a fantastic teacher, met many friends, many of whom have come to my house for parties and such, found a piano job, bought a super piano.

it led me to know that piano could be a very big part of my life rather than just a fleeting pasttime.

i owe my much of my happiness to Piano World.

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How do you charge a fellow technician?
by chernobieff
32 minutes 27 seconds ago
Question for the moderator...
by Emmery
Today at 05:57 PM
Rare Time Signatures
by caters
Today at 02:59 PM
has anyone tried the Focal alpha 50s or 65s for monitoring?
by dire tonic
Today at 11:54 AM
2015 Concerto Competition "Theodor Leschetizky" NY
by Piano World
Today at 11:49 AM
Who's Online
141 registered (accordeur, acortot, 36251, 32 invisible), 1612 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76383 Members
42 Forums
157896 Topics
2318927 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission