2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, 12 invisible), 2,049 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
OP Offline
W
hmmm, sorta made it compulsive

W
OP Offline
W
just take into consideration the time spent you see others playing their pieces that have been posted as clips on the Net.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
I rarely spend time listening/watching videos on the Internet, unless a Piano World member has asked to critique a video performance.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
No, videos of people playing have done little for me in themselves.

However, the web has introduced me to many interesting pianists and musicians around the world, several of whom have now become friends. I do not use the web per se, just to get interesting contacts to whom I then write and exchange ideas at the personal level.

The web has enabled me to purchase recordings and scores I could have obtained in no other way.

The web has thousands of interesting essays and articles about music and piano playing. Many of these have helped me considerably.

The web, largely through its forums, has enabled me to help a surprising number of people. I would not have thought myself much use to anybody concerning music and playing the piano but it has turned out that I am. This is a pleasing consequence of the web.

So, to answer the title question as it stands, without restriction to just videos, I would have to say that the impact of the web on my music has been completely positive in every way.

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley
E
Es Offline
E
purely positive.

i, too, don't watch videos of others - with the obvious exception of wonderful precious ones like Michealangeli, Cortot, Rubinstein etc on YouTube because otherwise, i would have no way of watching them play. of course they're good not only for learning purposes, but also for enjoyment. laugh

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
It's mixed -

Positive, because I work on polishing more pieces for recording I post.

Negative, because I spend too much time on the internet.

Rich

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
I watch quite a few internet performances. For the last 7 years, I lived in West Texas and didn't get a chance to see many good pianists perform, so watching videos and listening to recordings on the internet has been a nice way to stay connected.

I'll probably watch less now that I live in a piano-friendly college town (lots of live performances here in IC.)

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Positive because listening to lots of material on youtube from the (old) masters or good amateurs inspires me to practice/play.

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Definitely positive, for many reasons others have listed like access to information and performance videos, and feeling like a part of a music community. And what about the astounding amount of public-domain sheet music that's freely available?

I can't see any downside other than the amount of time I spend at the computer. But I used to sit in front of one all day at work, so I'm used to it—and I watch a lot less television.

In fact, I watch very little YouTube—but I'm glad it's there.

Steven

Online Content
I was like a kid in a candy store when I discovered youtube. I have probably thousands of videos of world class pianists(stored by the pianist's name)and continually find it enjoyable to watch them.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Positive!!

Whenever I need to learn a new piece, I just went to Youtube, and listened to many examples.

In addition, I also can learn from others' mistakes.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Great thread!

Definitely positive purely for the motivation it provides.

Patience's the best teacher, and time the best critic. - F.F.Chopin
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Negative effect on my playing (if I had spent the time practicing that I do here or surfing looking for performances on disc or YouTube, I'd be a lot better), but it's certainly taught me a lot, made some friends, and helped me increase my CD collection. I'm unlikely to catch up with Kluurs in that area, however frown

There is no end of learning. -Robert Schumann Rules for Young Musicians
Very, very positive. I love messing around with different music, even if it's way beyond my technique. I find it very helpful to hear what the piece is (at least nominally) supposed to sound like before launching in to it. Maybe it's a lack of formal training, but I often have difficulty guessing the way something should sound like without hearing it (Szymanowski sonatas, most recent).

Also I find it very inspiring to see great performances. I spent a few minutes last PM watching Horowitz play Scriabin etudes. If that doesn't make you want to practice I don't know what can.

And finally, I had never heard of Marc-Andre Hamelin, Martha Argerich, Georges Cziffra, or Claudio Arrau (to name a few) until I hit youtube. Am I ignorant? Yeah, I guess so. There were certain pianists I liked and I tended to always buy their CDs (Horowitz, Rubinstein, Brendel, Ashkenazy, Van Cliburn, Richter, a few others). Lesson learned. Youtube has opened my eyes to a lot of great pianists.

For all of the above I must say that the web has had a very positive impact on me, at least with respect to music and the piano. If the stupid spam in my email would just go away . . .

There is no "try"! Do, or do not. - Yoda
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
It has been an invaluable research resource. BTW, I have no use for YouTube...

B
B
Definitely positive.
If it wasn't for the internet, I wouldn't be taking lessons right now.

It may sound weird or ignorant, but I always thought that the process of music learning was forbidden to adults, that it was a privilege for children. If you didn't take lessons as a child, oh what a pity you're definitely late, there's no second chance for you.
But surfing the net I learn there is not only possible for an adult to learn, but also that there're LOTS of adult students doing really well.

As for youtube, I have found there interpreters and music which have inspired me and widen my musical horizons.

[Edited for typos]

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Definitely positive. Through the web I can consult with other pianists and musicians. This is something I can't do here. Also I find many other pianist at different levels playing the same repertoire on YouTube. I also get to hear new pieces that I have no chance of hearing otherwise. I also enjoy studying theory through the various online ear training media.

It don't mean a ting if it don't have dat swing
youtube videos have been really inspiring to me, although I spend too much time online when I should probably be practicing more.

"Derrrr dat wuz gud"
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
unalloyed positive

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
The Web has had absolutely no influence on my playing at all. It has influenced my shopping and my personal communications, it has revolutionized my research and work life, but has had no influence on my piano playing per se, other than to allow me to order special editions of repertoire that might not be available in our little city.

SantaFe_Player
Heels down, and tickle the bit.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission