2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,157 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#398275 09/26/08 01:58 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
A few quotes from Szulc's book that give some evidence of why *Szulc* thinks Chopin was bipolar. I am not saying that I know or am even quite certain he was bipolar. If that was the case, I wouldn't have bothered to ask this in my original post. There are numerous other references to Chopin being bipolar listed in the index of the book. I will try to add them as I read them. I'm only on page 95:

page59:

"He suffered from typically manic-depressive mood swings that were as violent as his shifts from major to minor in the same composition.....During attacks of rage he smashed chairs, broke pencils, and heaped invective on hapless piano students or visitors. A former student reported that he at least once had seen Chopin's hair stand on end like a dog's hackles. When deeply depressed, he shut himslef in his room for days, weeping softly."

page 40:
" Most psychiatric analysis of Chopin's mental health, based on correspondence, memoirs, and early biographies, does suggest strongly that he was a schizoid or manic dpressive type."

#398276 09/26/08 02:02 PM
OP Offline
Originally posted by sotto voce:
[
But, FWIW, the fact that such displays of same-sex affection were "normal" doesn't mean he wasn't, either.
True, but virtually nothing could prove he wasn't homosexual so I think your point has minimal weight.

#398277 09/26/08 02:10 PM
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
Yikes, I can see that this thread is going to become another series of posts that will change no one's mind and become more fodder for those who think opinions are biased, which, of course, they are.

I apologize for believing that I spoke for (all) others in stating that his music transcends any physical and/or mental problems he may have had. I happen to believe it is sublime.

And, just using one author's opinion does not make your case a valid or solid one.

So, off I go, never to return, for I just don't see the point in arguing something that CAN NOT be proven.

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
#398278 09/26/08 02:43 PM
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally posted by pianoloverus:
Szulc says in his book that the way Chopin addresed his best friend was very typical of the way people wrote letters in those days and is in now way an indication of his being bisexual.
[b]But, FWIW, the fact that such displays of same-sex affection were "normal" doesn't mean he wasn't, either.
True, but virtually nothing could prove he wasn't homosexual so I think your point has minimal weight. [/b]
What's your point, then? Szulc says the letters don't prove he was bi, you say nothing can prove he wasn't homosexual.

Does Szulc, or do you, find any evidence that could prove anything at all about his sexuality?

Steven

#398279 09/26/08 02:47 PM
OP Offline
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:
And, just using one author's opinion does not make your case a valid or solid one.

So, off I go, never to return, for I just don't see the point in arguing something that CAN NOT be proven.
If you read my post where i quote Szulc's book, I specifically said that it was only the author's opinion. And in my OP I stated I was interested in finding out what other people had read about Chopin because I had only read one other Chopin bio.

Since medical science in Chopin's time had no way of proving bipolar disorder it's certainly true one can never prove Chopin was bipolar. And I don't see in this thread any need to "argue".

The idea is simply to present other author's/poster's opinions on this topic. If there is a huge consensus one way or the other although it doesn't prove anything, it would be good evidence of probability.

It's just an interesting topic. I don't see the need for something to be provable as a condition for discussion.

#398280 09/26/08 02:56 PM
OP Offline
[b]Szulc says in his book that the way Chopin addresed his best friend was very typical of the way people wrote letters in those days and is in now way an indication of his being bisexual.
[b]But, FWIW, the fact that such displays of same-sex affection were "normal" doesn't mean he wasn't, either.
True, but virtually nothing could prove he wasn't homosexual so I think your point has minimal weight. [/b]
What's your point, then?[/b]
To express my opinion that your statement doesn't have much weight in terms of its logic.

You might as well say,"the fact that eating at McDonald's is popular, doesn't mean he wasn't homosexual either."

Having gotten sidetracked, I hope this thread can get back on topic. Was Chopin bipolar?

#398281 09/26/08 02:59 PM
Um what are you guys smoking? Chopin had a female lover, he wasn't a freaking homo.

#398282 09/26/08 03:09 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by NikolaTesla:
Um what are you guys smoking? Chopin had a female lover, he wasn't a freaking homo.
Yeah, but he still wanted to kiss his best buddy.

Re bipolar - In answer to Pianoloversus, no, the ideal of Chopin being bipolar is by no means generally accepted. I happen to think he might have been based on literally personal experience. Kathleen concludes the opposite for exactly the same reason. So there you are.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
#398283 09/26/08 03:12 PM
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Love your logic, PLUS, and love the McDonald's reference, too. But you should have chosen Burger King, where you can "have it your way." smile

NT, if you think that a "freakin homo" can't have a female lover, you don't get out much. But then using terminology like "freakin homo" for a gay man isn't exactly worldly—unless, of course, you are one and thus have insider's rights to intentionally ironic usage.

Steven

#398284 09/26/08 03:28 PM
OP Offline
Originally posted by -Frycek:
Re bipolar - In answer to Pianoloversus, no, the ideal of Chopin being bipolar is by no means generally accepted. I happen to think he might have been based on literally personal experience. Kathleen concludes the opposite for exactly the same reason. So there you are.
As stated in my OP, I really hope to hear from people who have read several biographies of Chopin about whether or not the authors mention Chopin was bipolar.

I think one can assume that most good authors would have spent a huge amount of time investigating Chopin's mental state and all other aspects of his life. For example, besides Szulc's enormous bibliography he actually visited all eight places in Paris where Chopin lived. (This doesn't mean his ideas are necessarily correct)

#398285 09/26/08 03:33 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I agree that knowing (speculating, in the best academic tradition) whether he was bipolar is interesting at many levels. In particular, the relationship of bipolar disorder to creativity or more specifically the impact of neurotransmitter / chemical imbalance on higher functions of the brain, which of course are very difficult to define, not counting the impossibility to map them anatomically or functionally. I am not a psychiatrist but I dare say that the "science" of psychiatry" is not there yet.
Which brings me back to the question I posed a while back about DNA access. It is possible that additional cues about his personality may be revealed by his DNA some day. I will leave the question of homosexuality and DNA out of this speculative bit..

#398286 09/26/08 03:35 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
(..) no, the ideal of Chopin being bipolar is by no means generally accepted.
You meant idea, but that was an interesting "slip", Frycek! smile

#398287 09/26/08 03:39 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
[b] Re bipolar - In answer to Pianoloversus, no, the ideal of Chopin being bipolar is by no means generally accepted. I happen to think he might have been based on literally personal experience. Kathleen concludes the opposite for exactly the same reason. So there you are.
As stated in my OP, I really hope to hear from people who have read several biographies of Chopin about whether or not the authors mention Chopin was bipolar.

I think one can assume that most good authors would have spent a huge amount of time investigating Chopin's mental state and all other aspects of his life. For example, besides Szulc's enormous bibliography he actually visited all eight places in Paris where Chopin lived. (This doesn't mean his ideas are necessarily correct) [/b]
I have read quite a few biographies myself. Szulc is the only one who brought the bipolar business up. Unfortunately (or not) and concrete first hand descriptions of the violent fits of temper etc on which Szulc bases this conclusion are not that easy to come by. Which makes one wonder, especially as Szulc does tend to distort primary sources to mean what he wants them to mean.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
#398288 09/26/08 05:29 PM
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
We have to keep in mind that he was most likely, as suggested here, on some kind of opiate for his respiratory condition.

http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0006322304007425

Here is the abstract from the article.

Depression is common among opiate-dependent patients and has been associated with worse prognosis. This article reviews the literature on treatment of depressive disorders and symptoms among patients with opiate dependence. Depression bears a complex relationship to opiate dependence and may represent an independent disorder or may be engendered by psychosocial stress or toxic and withdrawal effects of drugs. Primary treatments for opiate dependence (e.g., methadone or buprenorphine maintenance or residential treatment) are associated with substantial improvements in depression. Studies of antidepressant medications have produced mixed results, some positive but more negative. It is not clear what accounts for these differences, and more research is needed to determine how to select opiate-dependent patients most likely to benefit from antidepressants. Fewer studies have examined psychosocial or behavioral interventions, but some of these also show promise. The data suggest a stepped model of care in which depression is evaluated and observed during the outset of treatment for opiate dependence and if it does not improve, specific psychosocial interventions or antidepressant medications tried. Research is needed on such integrated models of care and treatment algorithms to determine their efficacy and cost effectiveness.

###

So having read this, and interestingly enough, I actually studied this in one of my college classes - Chemical dependency in the workplace.

If he was on opium then this would cause the big emotional swings when he was going through the withdrawl stages away from his medication. The physicians at the time were not as adept at diagnosis as they are today, and probably didn't link the two together.

Even still, who cares. I agree with Kathleen. He wrote some of the most beautiful music ever in the history of mankind.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
#398289 09/27/08 03:54 AM
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally posted by John Citron:
We have to keep in mind that he was most likely, as suggested here, on some kind of opiate for his respiratory condition.

<...>
If he was on opium then this would cause the big emotional swings when he was going through the withdrawl stages away from his medication. The physicians at the time were not as adept at diagnosis as they are today, and probably didn't link the two together.

Even still, who cares.

Well, if you were really serious about Chopin, I'd think you would need to be thinking about taking up opium for a while, to advance your insight into his art. I mean, it's not as if people can actually know in any authentic first-hand way whether they think it makes a big difference in what he wrote, without doing that, right? wink

#398290 09/27/08 04:38 AM
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally posted by NikolaTesla:
Maybe you ought to try smoking the same. Ever hear of freaking homo Saint-Saens, with a wife and kids? Or of Leonard Bernstein? Or of Vladimir Horowitz? Just a starter kit, for your education.

#398291 09/27/08 03:21 PM
M
M
I think many of the great people in the arts, especially in music had mental health issues, though many people suffer from more than one (anxiety and depression is one of the most common combinations). Though sometimes I wonder why Chopin didn't write any music that doesn't include a piano--what could that suggest?

Meri

Clarinet and Piano Teacher based out of Toronto, Canada.Web: http://donmillsmusicstudio.weebly.com
#398292 09/27/08 03:27 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by musiclady:
.....Though sometimes I wonder why Chopin didn't write any music that doesn't include a piano--what could that suggest?

Meri
That he just loved the piano soooo much?

#398293 09/27/08 04:24 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Perhaps he was, yet Schumann, Beethoven, Liszt, Rachmaninoff and Scriabin all had similiar melancholic leanings.

#398294 09/27/08 05:23 PM
OP Offline
Originally posted by Opus_Maximus:
Perhaps he was, yet Schumann, Beethoven, Liszt, Rachmaninoff and Scriabin all had similiar melancholic leanings.
But did they have the manic highs also?

I tried googling bipolar composers and manic depressive composers and could only find two sites with a "list"(they didn't include Chopin):

http://www.clipmarks.com/clipmark/9EAB14FE-BBBB-48D1-9BA8-E6B1FD62BA6B/

http://www.pendulum.org/information/information_famous_music.html

Can anyone else find other sites with lists of bipolar composers or reference biographies they've read that either mention or do not mention that Chopin was bipolar?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission