2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 9 invisible), 1,922 guests, and 266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#398536 04/15/04 12:03 PM
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
When I improvise, I find I cannot play a regular four beats rythm on my left hand.

I get carried away by the melody at the right hand and play the chords according to the way the melody evolves.

Can you suggest ways by which I could give the main part to the left hand so that the right hand would play on a cyclic chord progression ?

Benedict
#398537 04/15/04 03:19 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Perhaps instead of trying to find a way around the problem of your left hand, why not try working through it? Use a metrenome, perhaps even write out little "exercizes" that gets your left hand used to playing a steady four-beat rhythm, or whatever you have to do to get it correct. Once you master doing this, and are able to apply it to improvisation, THEN you can go on to playing the main part in the left hand..

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." ~Rachmaninoff
#398538 04/15/04 03:34 PM
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
PianoMuse,
Once you master doing this, and are able to apply it to improvisation, THEN you can go on to playing the main part in the left hand..
Do you mean the right hand ?

This is very good advice. I will restrict my improvisation to repeating simple chord progressions (one chord, two chords, three chords, four chords : I II VI V) till it is deeply rooted.

Once I have a rythm section, I will hire a singer.

cool smokin

Benedict
#398539 04/15/04 03:38 PM
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
What should the basic formula be for the left hand ?

I suppose with strides, I will have the first root) and third (dominant) beat emphasized.
I find it difficult to keep track of the beats when I play four identical chords in each bar.

What do you think ?

Benedict
#398540 04/15/04 04:42 PM
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
What sort of music do you improvise ? Are you trying to play a very regular stride, swing or something of that sort ? Why do you especially want to play four regular beats with your left hand ?

When I was young and learning these things I imagined harmony was omnipotent, and the whole process comprised shovelling ten tons of mentally assimilated chords into a comparatively arbitrary metrical space. Now I'm older the exact opposite seems to be true. Rhythm and phrasing are just about everything for me in music, especially in improvisation, and harmony to a greater extent variable.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
#398541 04/15/04 11:44 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
That's interesting, Ted. I've read that Hans von Bülow said "The musician's bible begins with the words: 'In the beginning there was rhythm.'"

"Hunger for growth will come to you in the form of a problem." -- unknown
#398542 04/16/04 04:49 AM
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Ted,

Since I started again as an adult, my conscience has always been focused on the names of the pitches and the melodies.

Therefore, I have never counted beats and not developed that rhytmic stability that is the mother of (western) music.

Now, I am learning jazz and folk and French songs (Automn Leaves, Tum Balalaika,Le temps du tango) and I see that the chord progressions and regular rythm are what gives support to the melody.
Therefore, I want them to become independant from the melody and even to take the lead for a while.

I would like to improvise more and more from these songs and I intend to learn a lot of my life favourites (Jacques Brel, Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Neil Young, Elvis Presley, Barbara, Beatles :nostalgia, nostalgia laugh ).

I practiced what PianoMuse advised yesterday and I had the happiest surprise. From now on, I count beats and concentrating only on the succession of beats (and bars) has made the memorization process much easier.

I will work more on this, but I wouldn't not be surprised if "rythm memory" was the most powerful of all the different sorts of memories.

Maybe you find rythm easy is because your musical education allowed you to acquire the basic skills so that you could explore a free way.

smile

Benedict
#398543 04/16/04 04:35 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Interesting topic!

Of all my beginner mistakes, I think the most aggregious is periodically loosing the pulse of the piece - especially with the baroque dances.

I've been looking for some place where I can actually learn to dance minuettes, bourees, gavottes, quadrilles, etc. If I had a better understanding of the dance movements, I might be able to play them with more rythmic precision. For now, I just experiment getting up, improvising some dance movements, and then sitting back down at the piano and trying again. It seems to help for the fleeting moment, but the results have not yet become permanent.

#398544 04/16/04 05:56 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Hey Benedict- have you come across any Astor Piazolla tangos? If you're getting into jazz you'll love them. Try Milonga del Angel. It's Gorgeous.

"The older the fiddle, the sweeter the music"~ Augustus McCrae
#398545 04/16/04 06:54 PM
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
You're right, Benedict. Since early childhood I have always had a very acute response to rhythm. Conventional harmony, on the other hand, wasn't natural at all; I had to work really hard at it, and even now I still operate more by intellect, mental arithmetic and keyboard geography than instinctive aural feeling in that department.

Some things about yourself you can alter, others you cannot, and if you create music you have to be yourself otherwise it's no good. So I'm stuck there.

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley
#398546 04/17/04 03:50 AM
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Ted,

So I'm stuck there.
I do not feel you are stuck at all. You follow your path and it seems to fulfill you.
Of course, a perfect taoist might say that following your path is exactly what being stuck means. laugh

Renauda,

I will follow your suggestion : Astor Piazzola is on my shopping list. I am currently learning "Le temps du tango" by Leo Ferre.

Here are the lyrics. For an old Savoyard like you, it should be a piece of cake.

le temps du tango

Linda,

I find that songs (folk, pop and jazz) are the best way to imprint rythm. The left hand plays chords in a regular way. If you practice like PianoMuse suggested and count One two three four or One two three, after a while, you will not be carried away by the melody.

Piano is a bit schizophrenic : you have usually to musicians playing together.One is a singer and sings like a bird. The other one is both a drummer and a bass player and just counts beats in a cyclical way.
The drummer/bass provides the regularity and the environment for the singer. He is like a mother to the child : his regularity will allow the child to express his emotions.
It is this marriage of stability and creativity that makes music so great.

Do I make sense ?

Regards to you all.

smile

Benedict
#398547 04/17/04 06:09 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by benedict:

Do I make sense ?
Yes, Benedict, it all makes sense to me intellectually. It is at the point of execution that I stumble. I find it rather amusing (at times, irritating) when some parts of my body absolutely refuse to comply with my wishes! smile

Thanks . . . Linda

#398548 04/18/04 02:41 AM
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I find rythm absolutely fascinating.

First, I had to relearn how to count.
It is like being a baby again.
One two three four
One two three.

I have to stop the flow of the music and just count till each note is at the right place and my mind only is with the counting.

This makes the memorizing process so much easier and does not use any memory space at all since the counting is almost physical.

The beats become impulsions. And this is when the magic begins.

Then, comes the really important thing :

The first beat is very accentuated. The third beat accentuated. The second and fourth, not at all.

And the music, whether it is Bach or Satie is always in this rythmic structure (archetype ?).

Then rythm becomes a flow and the counting disappears : you just have impulses in a movement.

You mean life ?

Benedict

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission