Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#398549 - 07/07/03 11:14 AM Moonlight sonata
Krazypaul Offline

I'm having truoble playing this piece, particularly the 3rd movement. I tried to play this piece a few years ago but I gave up. I'm thinking about giving the song another try. My mainly problem is the beginning, my fingers keep getting tangled up, and I tried my own fingering as well as theirs. Any advice?

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#398550 - 07/07/03 11:24 AM Re: Moonlight sonata
SoftwareResearch Offline

Loc: Germany
I don't have a real advice. All I can say is that the difficulty of the 3rd mvmt is orders of magnitude above the first two movements, so I'd say, if you have the lightest difficulty with the other two movements, you need some more years of practice to cope with the 3rd :p

If you want to impress girls, concentrate your energy on the 1st movement \:D

SR

#398551 - 07/07/03 11:38 AM Re: Moonlight sonata
PianoMuse Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philly, PA
KrazyPaul-

Do you have a piano teacher? If you have one. he/she can guide you on this issue. It's hard to know if you're ready for it or not without us hearing you!
Perhaps the problem is you are trying to play it too fast without really having the notes in your muscle memory?
I would highly suggest, and I know this is going to be hard, but who said piano was easy?- You need to knock the tempo WAY DOWN, and play it SLOWLY for a couple of weeks. The temptation to fly through it is strong, I know- but just resist, and I bet that many of your problems will clear up.

P.S- just a gentle reminder that when you refer to music that doesn't have words to it (ie, a beethoven sonata), it is called a "piece" instead of a "song". It's easy to get them mixed up, so don't worry! But just letting you know for next time...

#398552 - 07/07/03 11:48 AM Re: Moonlight sonata
Badger Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
When I got to those octaves where you have to trill with your fourth and fifth fingers I knew I was out of my league.

#398553 - 07/07/03 12:44 PM Re: Moonlight sonata
Vid Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
If it is the opening that is giving you trouble then you need to practice broken chords (in the right hand in particular). Play these in all keys and include other chords like dominant 7ths, diminished 7ths, etc. Play them at a tempo that you can manage, i.e. get all the notes and rhythm right and slowly build up the speed. The technical level of the 3rd movement is definately above that of the 1st. It took me quite a few years of development for me to come back and attempt the 3rd movement.

#398554 - 07/07/03 03:08 PM Re: Moonlight sonata
Krazypaul Offline

I see. More specifially, when I do get the piece going, I record myself. I often find myself off tempo and going faster than it normally should. I guess because I am leaving out a few notes incidentally trying to maintain the correct tempo.

So i will take your advice and start out slow.

#398555 - 07/07/03 06:23 PM Re: Moonlight sonata
CrashTest Offline
4000 Post Club Member

It may be a good idea to do another, easier sonata, then you will come back to this 3rd movement in a lot better condition to tackle it without problems.

#398556 - 07/07/03 10:22 PM Re: Moonlight sonata
Goldberg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: U.S.
I have found recently, after years of neglecting usage of the metronome, that slowing the metronome down (waaay down) and practicing precise rythms that way helps very much when speeding up slowly. Do that for a few days, start at the lowest metronome setting and set a reasonable goal for yourself-that is, a place in the music to where you want to play, and the highest metronome marking you wish to achieve in your practice for that day. Slowly build your way up the metronome...as a rule I count out 10 repetitions at each setting, even though i usually do far more than that (but that's usually only 16 or so measures from the Goldberg Variations). If you reach your goal and have time I'd recommend going back down at least a little bit to ensure security. Also, I would highly recommend doing hands-seperate practice like this for three or four days before starting hands-together. It may seem dull and boring but it sure has worked wonders for me.

#398557 - 07/07/03 10:34 PM Re: Moonlight sonata
PianoMuse Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philly, PA
I agree wholeheartedly with Goldberg.

The metronome is an indispensible tool...use it!!!!!

#398558 - 07/07/03 10:39 PM Re: Moonlight sonata
pepper Offline

Loc: SF CA
Practice the broken chords as blocked chords first, and yeah, slowly.

#398559 - 07/08/03 07:24 AM Re: Moonlight sonata
Praetorian_AD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: England
I heard a great method for studying the third movement posted up at least a year ago (can't remember who did it):

What they basically did was to photocopy the piece, cut it up into sections (the opening arpeggios, the 2nd theme, the tremolo bit, etc) and put them in a pile called 'unfinished'. During practice they would pull out one section and just work on it. If you're happy with it in the end, put it in a different pile, 'satsifactory'. Keep working until all the fragments have moved (if you can't get ia fragment one day, just put it back) Then, start with the 'satisfactory' pile until they're all in a 'finished' pile. Bingo. (Well, something like that, I can't find the thread). \:D

Good luck!

Peter

#398560 - 07/08/03 07:26 AM Re: Moonlight sonata
Praetorian_AD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: England
 Quote:
Originally posted by SoftwareResearch:

If you want to impress girls, concentrate your energy on the 1st movement \:D [/b]
I definitely heard that!!! \:D \:D

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
66 registered (ando, AZNpiano, Asmodeus, Alux, 15 invisible), 1130 Guests and 55 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74318 Members
42 Forums
153721 Topics
2253488 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The Eagles - Hotel California (Piano Cover)
by Mr. Pianoman
04/25/14 03:29 AM
Student growing tall
by pianoplayer84
04/25/14 02:41 AM
Whole tone scales leading to interesting series of keys
by caters
04/25/14 12:16 AM
Another beginner
by mojoe
04/25/14 12:02 AM
GH1 tuning pin torque
by awyaks
04/24/14 11:38 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission