Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#400224 - 11/12/07 02:00 PM Re: Successful pianists who were late starters
Reaper978 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'd like to study composition.

Because of my clinical depression which resists treatment, I fear I will not be able to make it through college with any degree, let alone something as demanding as music. I also suffer from wrist pain.

I suppose you can tout "others have it worse" and "happiness is a choice" all you want, but that doesn't correct the chemical problems in my brain.

I'd like to have private lessons with a composer. Grading and academia is, for the most part, obsolete and standardized hodgepodge from the 20th century.

-Colin

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#400225 - 11/12/07 03:20 PM Re: Successful pianists who were late starters
schmickus Offline

Loc: Bonn, Germany
Antonius,

you are right. But Volodos never practised until he decided to become a pianist at age 15.

I had ONE golf lesson in my life, 5 years ago, and never played again. Am I today a golf player with 5 years of experience? ;\)

Mason&Hamlin AA, 1908
Blüthner 190, 6ft3, 1903
J.L. Duysen 195, 6ft6, 1897, (under construction)

#400226 - 11/12/07 03:27 PM Re: Successful pianists who were late starters
Varcon Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mount Vernon, Georgia 30445
According to an article in an Etude Magazine in 1923 Bauer studied a year with Paderewski. "In 1892, however, he went to Paris and studied the piano under Paderewski for a year, . . . ." This is from a short biographical entry in Wikipedia.

http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Bauer%2c+Harold

http://www.factmonster.com/ce6/people/A0806512.html

He, Bauer, was one of my teacher's teacher, along with Olga Samaroff and Percy Grainger.

#400227 - 11/12/07 03:40 PM Re: Successful pianists who were late starters
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
Bauer played orchestral reductions for Paderewski. Here are his own words:
 Quote:
I learned a great deal by being in the presence of this great master; when he had finished this rehearsing with me it was my custom to ask for his help in dealing with certain problems of the piano which I naturally looked upon as a secondary instrument.
from Gerig

#400228 - 11/12/07 04:37 PM Re: Successful pianists who were late starters
Antonius Hamus Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by schmickus:
Antonius,

you are right. But Volodos never practised until he decided to become a pianist at age 15.

I had ONE golf lesson in my life, 5 years ago, and never played again. Am I today a golf player with 5 years of experience? ;\) [/b]
No you're not. Here's a problem of equal difficulty for you to solve:

I only reported what I found in Wikipedia, and the article didn't say anything about how much Volodos had played or practiced before the age of 15, only that "he had played the piano from the age of eight". The question is, did I say Volodos never practiced until age 15 or that he had only one lesson until age 15?

By the way, could you reveal your source regarding your statement about Volodos never practicing until 15? Or perhaps you could let us know how good Volodos was at age 15? Information such as, which pieces he was able to play decently at that age, would be considered sufficient (when coupled with appropriate sources). We wouldn't have to go into the difference between 'playing' and 'practicing', as Wikipedia's "he had played the piano from the age of eight", seems to imply that, whether or not Volodos had practiced during those years, he sure had played the piano during those years (8-15).

#400229 - 11/12/07 04:47 PM Re: Successful pianists who were late starters
Antonius Hamus Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TheMadMan86:
So what are we considering studying seriously? [/b]
'Seriously' seems like an euphemism for 'formally'. It would of course be better to use the latter to avoid misunderstandings and general vagueness. But guess which the marketing people prefer? People like rags-to-riches stories, in all their variations.

#400230 - 11/12/07 05:17 PM Re: Successful pianists who were late starters
schmickus Offline

Antonius,

here we go:

At age 16, Volodos studied Rach 3. Source: Piano News, Interview, 2/2007

And:
Arcadi Volodos Interview

with Süddeutsche Zeitung -- March 20, 1998, excerpt:
"Süddeutsche Zeitung: Most pianists have been on the stage for 10 years. Why was it not until you were 16 that you first started to play the piano seriously if you wanted to become a professional pianist?

Arcadi Volodos: I never did want to become a professional pianist. I never even thought about becoming a musician. Of course I tried to take after my parents who are both singers, and concentrated therefore on singing. I also had a serious go at conducting, until my teacher suggested that I have another try at the piano.

SZ: Can technique still be learnt at the age of 16, or is it inherited?

Volodos: It is not too late at 16. In the end it depends on how you deal with the music. I have never practised scales and I always got bad marks for technique. ..."
Full text to be found at

http://www.sonyclassical.com/news/volodos_int.htm

In fact in St. Petersburg Volodos attended a school that focused on choir music. Of course every child would receive formal training in music as a whole.

Mason&Hamlin AA, 1908
Blüthner 190, 6ft3, 1903

#400231 - 11/12/07 05:34 PM Re: Successful pianists who were late starters
Antonius Hamus Offline
2000 Post Club Member

"For centuries we have not seen such virtuoso playing by any piano wizards."

The good people at Sony Classical sure know how to hype... A really nice source you got there, Mick. But it still only says Volodos didn't start seriously until 15, when he decided to "give another (serious) try" (the piano instead of conducting, this time). So that's when he started to work his butt off to increase his playing technique, with a teacher I suppose, becoming a formal student of the piano. So he started "seriously", as the ad--ah, I mean interview, said. It didn't say Volodos never practiced before 15. It conveniently didn't say much anything about anything much.

#400232 - 11/12/07 05:45 PM Re: Successful pianists who were late starters
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Yeah, it's all a conspiracy, guys. What's so hard to understand?

#400233 - 11/12/07 06:20 PM Re: Successful pianists who were late starters
Antonius Hamus Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I just realized there are more than one person here who has trouble understanding what he reads, so here is some further clarification:

Quote:
Antonius,

here we go:

At age 16, Volodos studied Rach 3. Source: Piano News, Interview, 2/2007[/b]
At age 16, Rach 3. OK. And that also was more or less when he started "seriously" (a fact given below). Sounds like he was pretty good already when he "started seriously", even assuming some months' variance between starting to study seriously and starting to study Rach 3.

Quote:
And:
Arcadi Volodos Interview

with Süddeutsche Zeitung -- March 20, 1998, excerpt:
"Süddeutsche Zeitung: Most pianists have been on the stage for 10 years. Why was it not until you were 16 that you first started to play the piano seriously if you wanted to become a professional pianist?

Arcadi Volodos: I never did want to become a professional pianist. I never even thought about becoming a musician. Of course I tried to take after my parents who are both singers, and concentrated therefore on singing. I also had a serious go at conducting, until my teacher suggested that I have another try at the piano.[/b]
OK. He started "seriously" at 16, because his teacher suggested that Volodos give a serious try at the piano. Volodos says "another try", because the conducting was the first (serious) try. If you want to argue that he actually meant "another try at the piano", please explain the lack of referent. Even assuming that "another try at the piano" was what he tried so vaguely to express, the statement would tell little about how much he had played the piano before the age of 16.

Quote:
SZ: Can technique still be learnt at the age of 16, or is it inherited?

Volodos: It is not too late at 16. In the end it depends on how you deal with the music. I have never practised scales and I always got bad marks for technique. ..."[/b]
OK. The penultimate step with your reading guide takes place in the darkness of the forest, use a hooded cloak and don't get hurt: "Can technique still be learned? Yes, yes it can." Question and answer, neither of which suggests that there is no technical foundation to start with.

Quote:
In fact in St. Petersburg Volodos attended a school that focused on choir music. Of course every child would receive formal training in music as a whole. [/b]
OK. So Volodos, in your argument, was formally trained in the art of piano, since he was formally trained in the art of music in general? Logic, I'm afraid, doesn't work like that, as the famous apple said when it tried to fall towards the sky. Or are you just saying you didn't notice we were talking about the formal or serious study of piano, not just formal study of music in general?

To conclude, you have failed miserably to provide me with what I asked for. You don't want to try again? That's a shame...

#400234 - 11/12/07 06:31 PM Re: Successful pianists who were late starters
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Not so much "difficulty reading", I didn't actually read the thread, I just couldn't resist the urge to to see another emotional and insult-filled post from you as I knew would appear based on the predictable pattern.

Which is of course a dispruption, so I apologize to the moderators, it won't happen again.

Though I didn't know people could get so defensive about describing the life of some pianist they don't know personally.

I wonder though, taking into account all the empty condescension in your posts, why do you even bother arguing with people if you consider them to be less than you? Why not just disregard their opinions as inconsequential, as I do to yours?

#400235 - 11/12/07 06:34 PM Re: Successful pianists who were late starters
Antonius Hamus Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I seem to attract frustrated teenagers...

#400236 - 11/12/07 06:41 PM Re: Successful pianists who were late starters
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
I seem to attract frustrated teenagers[/b]...
Really, my age? Come now, surely you have something more substantial to pick at? (Your name-calling of course, reminds us that maturity and age do not always go hand in hand). \:\)

What's next, my hair color? Nationality?

#400237 - 11/12/07 06:44 PM Re: Successful pianists who were late starters
Antonius Hamus Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Oh, it's just that you're not the first one "Theowne". I have some more substantial things to say about you, but I'm not going to insult you publicly any more than I already have. If you ever come to Finland, let me know.

#400238 - 11/12/07 06:49 PM Re: Successful pianists who were late starters
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

No, feel free to say anything you want, I could use the amusement. Or write me an message (I suppose now that the "teenager" card has been played, you'll need to find some other childish insult), I would love to hear all of these things you have learned about how insufficient I am through my internet messages. Just get out of the delusion that everyone considers your grand superiority to not be completely inconsequential, however comforting the idea may be. If I do come to Finland, I'd rather not waste precious limited time out of my life on trivial things. Perhaps that idea is something you should think about, and it may lead to some new ideas on who is mature and who isn't. I realize you are too proud to admit in this thread but I know you will reflect on this idea elsewhere. (PS It's probably better that I not respond again so feel free to have the last response. English is my second language, perhaps you can resort to making fun of that next )

#400239 - 11/13/07 12:47 AM Re: Successful pianists who were late starters
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
boys, boys! Jeez!

#400240 - 11/13/07 12:57 AM Re: Successful pianists who were late starters
Antonius Hamus Offline
2000 Post Club Member

The moderators are sleeping. Let's re-paint the walls and break the windows! (as long as we can)

#400241 - 11/13/07 01:04 AM Re: Successful pianists who were late starters
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Yes, and Antonius, we better start soon. Late starters are never successful, you know. ;\)

#400242 - 11/13/07 01:18 AM Re: Successful pianists who were late starters
Antonius Hamus Offline
2000 Post Club Member

LOL

#400243 - 11/13/07 10:10 AM Re: Successful pianists who were late starters
schmickus Offline

Antonius,

don't become childish:

quote:
"In fact in St. Petersburg Volodos attended a school that focused on choir music. Of course every child would receive formal training in music as a whole."
Originally posted by Antonius Hamus:
"OK. So Volodos, in your argument, was formally trained in the art of piano, since he was formally trained in the art of music in general? Logic, I'm afraid, doesn't work like that, as the famous apple said when it tried to fall towards the sky. Or are you just saying you didn't notice we were talking about the formal or serious study of piano, not just formal study of music in general?

To conclude, you have failed miserably to provide me with what I asked for. You don't want to try again? That's a shame..."

Wrong conclusion, antonius. Please re-read both our postings. Find your flaw in logic. And practise the art of "How to behave like an adult".

Best, schmickus

Mason&Hamlin AA, 1908
Blüthner 190, 6ft3, 1903

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
107 registered (anotherscott, AlanSanDiego, Aviram, accordeur, 37 invisible), 1346 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157224 Topics
2309197 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Blac
by Aviram
09/01/14 11:56 PM
Blackbird - Piano Cover - The Beatles
by Aviram
09/01/14 11:49 PM
Kawai CA95 Recordings
by wolferblade
09/01/14 11:32 PM
soviet upright piano "LIRICS"
by Maximillyan
09/01/14 11:22 PM
Question about 1975 Steinway L
by mahlers2nd
09/01/14 09:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission