Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#402076 - 07/13/01 08:02 PM Bach and Technique
CrashTest Offline
4000 Post Club Member

My teacher told me that studying Bach is very important for many reasons, like for counting and timing, I haven't learned any Bach yet; is the Well-Tempered Clavier a good place to start? Also, what is a good way to attain good wrist technique and movement? Playing octaves and other things in Hanon don't seem to be helping, how should they (the wrist-related exersizes) be played? Thanks!

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#402077 - 07/13/01 08:45 PM Re: Bach and Technique
LadyElton Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeastern Pennsylvania
I was just about to post the same question. I'm currently playing Bach's Prelude 1 in C major from WTC. I have small hands (well, I can reach a 9th) and would like some suggestions on playing octaves. I know I need to relax my wrists and try using a circular-like motion, which is easier said than done. Take care.

Check out my blog

"Looking like a true survivor..."
-- Sir EJ/BT '83

#402078 - 07/13/01 09:11 PM Re: Bach and Technique
Brendan Offline

Loc: McAllen, TX
You'd probably be better starting with some two and three part inventions before you set into the WTC. Your teacher is right - rhythm is extremely important in Bach; not that everything needs to be metronomic, but there needs to be a very strong, energetic rhythmic pulse.

Octaves:

First off, octaves are difficult for many pianists. Being able to do something like Schubert's Erlking (repeated octaves in triplets at quarter note = 152) is something that one is born with; I don't think that you can train yourself to do something like that. I know one person at school who can do it, and he's one of the professors. For the rest of us, though, here are some general rules that we should try to live by when playing octaves:

Rapid octaves depend on how fast you can move your wrist. Ideally, to get as quick a wrist movement as possible, you should keep your hand very close to the keyboard. If there are black notes, you can use your fourth finger if your hands are big enough. As for the rest of your arm, KEEP YOUR SHOULDERS DOWN AND YOUR ELBOW SLIGHTLY RAISED. This is kind of tricky, because when we raise our elbows we also tend to raise our shoulders, but some slow work will help you with this problem if you have it. If you do it right, the only part of your arm that should move will be your wrist.

Fortissimo octaves require you to push from your shoulder and let the entire weight of your arm fall into your hand. Again, keep your shoulders down, but allow your elbows to push your forearm up and then bring it down so that your hand can "fall" into the keyboard. Sigh....this is easier explained in person.

Don't neglect the thumb. One of the easiest ways to overcome octave troubles is to work on the thumb. It's big, clumsy, slow-moving and is what slows us down when we play octaves. Again, keep it as close to the keyboard as possible.

Hope that helped.

Brendan

#402079 - 07/13/01 09:42 PM Re: Bach and Technique
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
While the WTC is sometimes considered - along with the 32 Beethoven Sonatas - as the pianist's Bible, I agree with Brendan that, if you have not yet played any Bach, you might be well-advised to start with the two- and three-part inventions. The Inventions are great works in their own right - don't think that they are just easy pieces for beginners - and they display wonderful variety of mood and feeling, ingeniously condensed into a few minutes each. They are also very satisfying to play and are wonderful works for developing independence of fingers.

#402080 - 07/13/01 10:05 PM Re: Bach and Technique
Joe Offline

Loc: New Jersey
The 2 and 3 voice Inventions are some of my favorite pieces! His 'Six Little Preludes' are also very good, and a good precursor even to the Inventions.

That statement about being born with that octave abilty has me puzzled. We're all born with certain capacities, but don't you have to learn everything? It's true some people seem to be able to do certain things more naturally than others, but still... I'll bet if you want to play those octaves that way badly enough, you'll eventually get it.

[ July 13, 2001: Message edited by: Joe ]

#402081 - 07/13/01 10:12 PM Re: Bach and Technique
Alex Offline

Loc: Plano, tx
Joe,

I am not sure I agree. I can practice 8 - 10 hours a day for the rest of my life and, quite frankly, I will have no where near the technique of Horowitz. There is some degree of "being born with it". How much - you may debate.

Now, as far as Bach goes, you need go no further than to hear the recording of Glenn Gould playing in Moscow live the three part inventions (except no. 1 which was lost for some reason) to realize just what great pieces these are. I would hazard to say, however, that many of the 3 part inventions are tougher to play than many of the movements in the suites. The 3-part inventions, IMHO, are great. They are real pieces of music. It's a shame that we are pretty much brainwashed that these are "studies". And like I said, they are very difficult.

#402082 - 07/13/01 10:55 PM Re: Bach and Technique
Brendan Offline

Loc: McAllen, TX
Joe,

There are certain motions that you can learn which will make it easier, but there are areas of technique which just come naturally to people. Horowitz had lightning-fast octaves; do you think that there was any thought on his part about how to do it? I think not. We all have our highs and lows with technique - for some reason thirds come easily to me but octaves take more work. Same thing with left hand trills...I always fear them for some reason.

#402083 - 07/14/01 06:03 PM Re: Bach and Technique
MacDuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast, U.S.A.
I don't like the concept of playing "from the wrist." In my opinion, the wrist is merely the "hinge" for moving or pulling the hand down, which transfers force to the fingers for the octaves. I prefer for the back of the hand to be at the same level as the forearm as the hand/wrist action starts. To raise the elbows, as Brendan points out, you lean the torso slightly back from the hips--this doesn't raise the shoulder.

Rapid octaves are usually in groups where you give arm weight to the first one of the group, then play the others (on weak beats or divisions of the beat) with much milder force "from the wrist" and often with the pedal down.

I don't remember the rule about "leading from the thumb"--or does this apply to broken octaves?
\:\(

#402084 - 07/14/01 09:44 PM Re: Bach and Technique
CrashTest Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Are playing octaves, with the wrist-only, without arm movement, good to attain good technique? Is it dangerous? Also, when I play octave exersizes, I feel pain around my palm area (could be wrists), but it goes away the second I stop, is it normal?

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
116 registered (36251, ando, aesop, beet31425, 33 invisible), 1620 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75920 Members
42 Forums
156886 Topics
2305193 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
YAMAHA SILENT PIANO HQ 300 SX - Information please!
by ernani
47 minutes 29 seconds ago
CA95 and HP-508
by Alpiano
Today at 09:47 AM
Help - kawai rx2-c conservatory limited edition
by KungPaoPanda
Today at 08:53 AM
What kind of fingering should I be using for these phrases?
by Jormungandr
Today at 03:04 AM
Mason & Hamlin BB Long distance purchase a few questions
by bigun
Today at 02:26 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission