2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
33 members (Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,240 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Berlioz "Symphonie Fantastique"

and. . .

"The Ghost and Mr. Chicken" for pipe organ.

:p

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Scarbo, yes, is truly a haunting piece for the piano, both to hear and play. At the end, the FFF climax is truly a vision to behold...

But what about Le gibet? The repeated Bb notes, mimicking the toll of a bell as the corpse of a man hangs in the setting sun... I find that Le gibet is more frightening to hear than Scarbo. The quiet ppp sections with the strange chords that descend is very scary, and the middle section with the despairing melody... truly scary.

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
In 1970 I wrote a group of piano pieces after reading "Lord of the Rings". One in particular, "The Ascent of Mount Doom", sits at the bottom of the pile of my scores in a cupboard. I never play it; it has terrible associations for me and was conceived after a ghastly personal event. I played it privately for five people close to me and terrible misfortunes occurred to each of them. Silly rot I know, but if such coincidences happen a number of times the most hardened sceptics among us become uneasy. It's the only superstition I allow myself.

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Hank Drake:
Originally posted by SethW:
[b]What do you think are the downright scariest, terrifying, or haunting pieces written for piano. I thought this would be a good topic to speculate on seeing the season. Sonata #9 (Or was I thiking of the eigth?) composed by Scriabin, perhaps? "
I would guess you're thinking of the 9th. I don't consider the 8th to be frightening, although it has a certain eerie beauty. The 6th, for me is the most frightening of Scriabin's sonatas. How 'bout that 23 note rolled chord?[/b]
#6 was also the most frightening according to Scriabin himself, who refused to play it in public for this precise reason.

"War does not determine who is right; only who is left."
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Ted2:
In 1970 I wrote a group of piano pieces after reading "Lord of the Rings". One in particular, "The Ascent of Mount Doom", sits at the bottom of the pile of my scores in a cupboard. I never play it; it has terrible associations for me and was conceived after a ghastly personal event. I played it privately for five people close to me and terrible misfortunes occurred to each of them. Silly rot I know, but if such coincidences happen a number of times the most hardened sceptics among us become uneasy. It's the only superstition I allow myself.
In one of his autobiographical books, Artur Rubinstein recounts a performance of Chopin's 2nd Sonata which revealed to one of the audience that he was dying. After that, Rubinstein never performed the piece in a private residence.

I found the recent reconstructed Chopin prélude, supposedly written when he was feverish, to be very evocative of that state.

There is no end of learning. -Robert Schumann Rules for Young Musicians
S
SethW Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally posted by JS:
The Makrokosmos has been recorded several times. The recording I know is by (I believe) Paul Jacobs.

If you're just starting out, I'd suggest looking at "Dream Images" - it's one of the easier ones to play, and doesn't require much preparation of the piano.
Thanks, but I'm just trying to get a recording to permantly put in the collection. I took a look at the "Magic Circle of Infinity" and another from the second set and decided that reading the music is challenging enough.

I'd also suggest George Crumbs "Five Pieces for Piano" and "Little Suite for Christmas" - both are shorter and a bit less daunting than the Makrokosmos, but both are fantastic sets.
I heard the 'Suite' at the last Cliburn, and it was indeed an interesting piece. Perhaps I will look at that one someday. It appears to be a good piece to learn the art of "plucking."

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
(non-piano)
Cesar Franck: Le Chasseur Maudit

"War does not determine who is right; only who is left."
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Hank Drake:
The 6th, for me is the most frightening of Scriabin's sonatas. How 'bout that 23 note rolled chord?
OOPS! eek I meant the 7th Sonata, that's the one with the rolled chord.

My bad. I must be going senile.

Hank Drake

Admin: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VladimirHorowitzPianist

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Lots of scary ones:

The Erl King. A father rides hard with his sick son through a storm. The "Erl King" voice is in the wind calling to the boy to come to him (die). The boy pleads with his father to save him. At the end the boy dies. I did a sequenced arrangement of this once. It freaked out my kids.

Much of Pictures at an Exhibition.

The Oxcart (visions of cattle straining at the yoke and being whipped to pull harder)
The Gnome
The Old Castle
The Catacombs
and With the Dead in the Tongue of the Dead (the title alone is pretty creepy)

Fingles Cave Overture

"Mars, the bringer of war " from "The Planets" is scary from a "Thousands of soldiers are coming to kill you" point of view.

Finally, for something REALLY scary: "Kenny G plays Barry Manilow's Greatest Hits"

:p

Estonia L190 #7004
Casio CDP S350
C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
Carmina Burana by Carl Orff has some chilling and beautiful moments in it, it is a great adventure in sound. Gregorian chant also has some interesting sounds that can be quite scary when you listen to it late at night! Sometimes I go to sleep listening to Chopin's nocturnes (Claudio Arrau) and some of the hauntingly beautiful melodies creep into my unconscience to the point that I often stay with that piece in my head all day!

B
B
If I may ask a basic question, why are the pieces you're mentioning scary? How do they scare you? Do they scare everyone? I am guesiign they do since human nature is common, and chords or notes have the same psychological effect (joy, sadness) on people. Or is it the unexpected nature of the progression of the piece that is so terrifying? If not, then what is it?

"...the luckiest man I know." - Arthur Rubinstein about himself and his love of performing.
B
B
I was thinking to myself and seem to have found a clue to my question of why some pieces scare us. I think it the nature of the chords or nootes combined with an unsettling tempo, like the ones they use in horror movies. If you would like to add, go ahead.

"...the luckiest man I know." - Arthur Rubinstein about himself and his love of performing.
B
B
Beethove's Appassionata scares me. It bursts into suddern loadness at several unexpected (to a new listener especially) moments.

T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
I find the chord changes e.g. D minor - Bb minor - F# minor, essentially a change of minor harmony four semitones apart, have a very haunting effect on me. Put it this way, if I were to write the equivalent of a ghost story in piano music I would use these changes. These chords also lie on the notes of the bare augmented harmony, which I also find sometimes (though not always) chilling. What a splendidly ominous effect it has in Liszt's Funeral Gondolas.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
P
P
Prokofiev Piano Concerto #2 -- The end of the first movement, when the orchestra finally returns and pretty much murders the pianist.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Pepper..
Yes! I so much agree! Every time I hear that part I get massive goosebumps. That part is so awesome.

Rachmaninoff's Etude No. 6, op. 39. If you know it is a little red riding hood and the wolf, you can hear er terror, her heart fluttering in the piece. It really is quite frightening, if you think of it from her perspective..

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." ~Rachmaninoff
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Also, "Threnody for the victims of Hiroshima".

This is honestly the most terrifying, Heart-pounding, frightening piece of music I have heard. My professor played it for class...by the end half of the class were crying out of fear, one girl had to leave the room, and I thought i was honestly going to have a panic attack. It is the most intense music I have ever heard...ecspecially one part, when the violins make it sound like someone shouting "NO! NO!" and it sounds like planes overhead, and sirens,and people shreiking, and your ears are ringing, and things falling...oh god, i cant even begin to describe it.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." ~Rachmaninoff
A
A
I think that the first movement of Rachmaninoff's Second (Concerto) is pretty haunting, especially the last few minutes, where the music is wandering in a way. Haunting but gorgeous! I'd expect that kind of thing, since it was a piece composed after he was lifted from his depression. frown

K
K
Allegri's Miserere. Sung by a chamber choir in candlelight in a 13th century chapel in perfect* harmony. Followed by Faure's requiem with an ancient organ and the strings in the antechapel.

*i.e. not tempered

Ever imagined a world without hypothetical situations?
R
R
Lets see...some organ works,
1.Bach's "Fantasia in c minor BWV 562"

2. Bach's Prelude and fugue in f minor BWV 534

3. Arr. Reinhart "I want Jesus to walk with me".

I play "I want Jesus to Walk with Me" and it still gives me the chills when the trumpets on the organ bellow out the melody in sanctuary.

As for piano I have to say Ravel's Le Gibet and rachmaninoff's prelude in c sharp minor and prelude in g sharp minor.

Once during a concert at Carnegie Hall, the violinist Rachmaninoff was playing with lost his place in the music and whispered to Rachmaninoff, "Where are we?" Rachmaninoff replied, in all seriousness, "Carnegie Hall".
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission