2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,726 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
I was wondering what you think I should do in this situation. I'm preparing for my college auditions, which are in a month. Naturally, I've been playing these pieces for a long time, six months at least. Here's the problem: 1) My practice methods suck, and I'm in the middle of transitioning to a new method which requires me to learn it through learning new pieces, and 2) six months is a long time to be working on the same set of pieces, and I'd really like to try something new. Do you think I can handle it if I add one piece to my practice routine? I'm thinking about something like MacDowell's Will o' the Wisp, Rimsky-Korsakov's Prelude and Fugue on BACH, or Mozart's Variations on "Ah! Vous-je-dirai maman!" Tell me what you would do. help

Piano Hero Encore Rocks the 1800s!

Current Assignments:
Bach Prelude and Fugue in Bb Maj, D min, and C Maj from Bk I
Mozart Sonata K.280
Brahms Rhapsody Op. 79 No. 2
Bartok Six Roumanian Folk Dances
Prokofieff Visions Fugitives Op. 22

I'm going to Ithaca! Yay!!!
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
If I were in your position - which, needless to say I am not - and if I felt I knew these pieces as well as I could possibly know them, I would put them away for a week - or ten days, if I could possibly stand it - and work on something new, fresh, different and musically invigorating. I would also continue to work diligently on technique and particularly on technical issues which might be paramount in my competition pieces, but in that time I would not look at the competition pieces.

I would also take a few whole days during that period when I didn't even look at the piano, but would occupy myself busily with things that kept me away from the piano.

After that week (or ten days), I would return to my pieces - which I would not have touched in that length of time - and look at them with fresh eyes and, no doubt, with renewed vigor. I would then revisit them with much slow practice, with much study of the scores both at and away from the piano, all the while really analyzing my approach to them to see if my approach can be freshened or if I am truly satsified with my concept and my interpretation of the pieces.

That's what I would do. What will you do?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
OP Offline
That sounds like a good idea. Unfortunately, I've made recordings of my pieces to point out to myself the problem areas, and I've got pretty big lists. I think that as I complete a list for a piece, I'll put it away for a short time and try something new. I don't think I can stand to just completely cut myself off from the piano, though. I'll lose it, plus my teacher will go nuts. laugh I'm almost happy with the Prelude, maybe I'll give that a rest over Christmas vacation and start on Will o' the Wisp (which I'm really eager to learn). Who knows? I'll just see what the future brings, and keep your suggestion in mind. Thanks.

Piano Hero Encore Rocks the 1800s!

Current Assignments:
Bach Prelude and Fugue in Bb Maj, D min, and C Maj from Bk I
Mozart Sonata K.280
Brahms Rhapsody Op. 79 No. 2
Bartok Six Roumanian Folk Dances
Prokofieff Visions Fugitives Op. 22

I'm going to Ithaca! Yay!!!
M
M
I'm also a big fan of time away from pieces, assuming there's enough time before a performance to get it ready. If you do take a break, be sure it's earlier rather than later. You don't want to go into the auditions thinking "if only I had a few more days."

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission