2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 11 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
The Beethoven 4th concerto is really awesome.. and it's technical difficulties are not THAT great.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by C.V. Alkan:
It's unfair to catagorize all of Gottschalk's works as easy, and therefore not worth playing. (Not that you did Goldberg. Actually, you did quite the opposite). Many people do this and Gottchalk's works are certainly worth attention by any virtuoso pianist. His "Union", for example, is a giant virtuoso piece. I agree with Goldberg - the Grnad Tarantelle is worth taking a look at.
My favourite Gottschalk piece (I do enjoy the "Union" as well) is his Concert Caprice on "Battle Cry for Freedom." I do agree with iamcanadian, though, and find most of Gottschalk's works to be repetitive and some can come across as rambling and "overlong" even though they are only 7 minutes or so. I'm not sure what it is about him...virtuostic, but not...poetic, but not substantial...I can't quite describe it, but something about him puts me off from truly enjoying the music. (all that being said I still think the Grand Tarantelle deserves some more attention, especially from beginners--not to say that Quidam is quite *that* beginner, heh)

I forgot it was meant for a competition, though. I agree that it is certainly too easy for one of those. Here are a few unsure suggestions: Liszt's Hungarian Fantasy, Chopin's Fantasy in A major for Piano and Orchestra, or Chopin's Variations on "La ci darem la mano."

Quidam Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Opus_Maximus:
The Beethoven 4th concerto is really awesome.. and it's technical difficulties are not THAT great.
I just got a hold of Brendel's recording of that. Quite lovely. Although there are those double thirds in the first momement (at least I think so.. they're in there somewhere). That could be a bit of a trick. Love how the piano starts out the exposition in movement 1. smile o that Beethoven. Just full of surprises. smile

Raspberry liqueur, apparently. :p
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission