2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 2,045 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
signa Offline OP
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
i went to Alexender Ghindin's recital last night and his final encore was this Mozart opera Figaro's opening singing's piano transcription. it looks and sounds like a tremendous difficult piece, but Ghindin played it beautifully without a blink. i just wonder who did the transcription? anyone knows?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by signa:
this Mozart opera Figaro's opening singing's piano transcription.
I'm not sure which part of Figaro you mean. The overture? The first duetto? Figaro's Se vuol ballare? Was it a fantasy or a more literal transcription? How long? I guess he didn't play the Liszt-Busoni fantasy as an encore laugh

You could use the score and a recording (or Youtube) to locate the part you mean.
http://www.dlib.indiana.edu/variations/scores/abw8806//

My (and possibly also some other peoples') favorite aria from Figaro is Cherubino's Voi che sapete (wonderfully charming interpretation!), which has a nice little transcription by Thalberg (and is also featured in the big Liszt-Busoni).

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
This is the Liszt-Busoni. Could that be it? It's a bit big to be done as an encore, but possibly?

http://imslp.info/files/imglnks/usi...uber_zwei_motive_aus_Figaro__busoni_.pdf

What you are is an accident of birth. What I am, I am through my own efforts. There have been a thousand princes and there will be a thousand more. There is one Beethoven.
signa Offline OP
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
pianovirus, thanks for the score! i will check which it is. it's definitely the Figaro's solo, as i remember, very fast one, in which he also sing his name (figaro). i will try to locate it in the score or youtube. it has such repeated rhythm: dadada da- dadada da- ...

it's not that short, at least 3-5 minute long, starting and ending with some ultra fast octave/chord passage. i wonder it might be the fantasy you're talking about, since it's very difficult as i watched.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Are you sure you're talking about The Marriage of Figaro or are you talking about The Barber of Seville? Sounds to me like you might be talking about the aria "Largo al Factotum" from The Barber of Seville...

Here's a vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h7qgdaecJQ

I'm not aware of any piano solo transcriptions off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are some out there...

What you are is an accident of birth. What I am, I am through my own efforts. There have been a thousand princes and there will be a thousand more. There is one Beethoven.
signa Offline OP
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
8ude, you may be right. how come i didn't realize it. it might be what you're talking about. i wish i could have recorded it. so, is there a Liszt transcription of that?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Not that I'm aware of. I've heard transcriptions for various instruments (there's one for trumpet that I heard which was pretty amazing), but I'm not aware of any piano solo transcriptions. Could this one have been written by Ghindin himself?

I'd be surprised if there aren't any piano transcriptions of this one - it's too catchy of a tune that someone wouldn't have tried - but I'm not immediately aware of any...

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
thumb
Very good! I think 8ude found it together with you!! It's not from the Mozart opera but as 8ude suggested the Cavatine of Figaro from Rossini's Barber of Seville. There is no Liszt transcription, and I think the only transcription is from Grigory Ginsburg. I have a PDF. PM me if you want it.

As an aside, I just saw on the web site of Ghindin that he also has recorded the big Liszt-Busoni Figaro fantasy (to avoid confusion: this one is about 15 minutes in length and is based on Mozart's opera. Here is an excerpt. There are three comedies by Pierre de Beaumarchais which feature Figaro as a main character: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figaro )

signa Offline OP
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
wow, pianovirus, you've been very helpful, so is 8ude! thank you both! i must have got confused when Ghindin was playing it, and he didn't announce any encore pieces actually. he's not only a very virtuosic pianist but a very mature artist with great tone control even when playing the most difficult and fast passages. he played Petrouchka last night, which i thought is simply the best i've ever heard.

definitely, i would like to have the transcription and see how difficult it looks. i'd pm you regarding my email.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission