Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#413458 - 10/17/01 06:49 PM To major in performance or double major.....
Amy Offline

Loc: Upstate New York
I'm trying to decide which major to pursue in college.
I've been thinking of doing a double major of music education and performance. I definatly want to do performance because I want to teach at a college but i'm a little nervous that I won't be able to get a job when i'm out of college without a music education degree. I know that if I double major, the performance part of it may suffer. Any advice?

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#413459 - 10/17/01 07:51 PM Re: To major in performance or double major.....
Alex Offline

Loc: Plano, tx
Amy,

The competition to teach at universities today is extremely competitive. You will have to have at a minimum a MM but most likely a DMA. When I was in school many many years ago, we had a position come up for a secondary piano teacher (teach voice, trumpet, flute etc majors). Over 100 people applied with more than a few having DMA's from Eastman or Julliard. I'm not trying to discourage you. What I am saying is that a performance degree undergraduate is not enough to get a university teaching job (of course if you win a competition like the Van Cliburn all bets are off - you don't need any degree!). Therefore, I would get the education degree as a fall back position. Then, work very hard on your playing and go on to get your MM. Quite frankly, at most universities (not the conservatories), your course load won't prohibit you from practicing as if you were getting a performance degree. Just a thought.

#413460 - 10/17/01 08:25 PM Re: To major in performance or double major.....
Matt G. Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Plainfield, IL
FWIW, most college music education programs are geared towards training grade school through high school music teachers. If that career path isn't on your list, I'd bypass the Mus. Ed. degree. If, however, you are interested in exploring that path, you'd best be prepared for a much more diverse course of study compared to a performance track.

You should also inquire pointedly at the school(s) that you plan to attend if double undergrad majors are allowed. Many music perfomance tracks are considered "comprehensive," meaning that due to the intense course work, no minors or double majors are allowed.

#413461 - 10/18/01 04:19 PM Re: To major in performance or double major.....
MikeC65 Offline

Loc: St. Louis, Missouri
Back in 1987, I double-majored in piano performance and computer science (yes, I know they don't go together). As a computer science major, I auditioned into the music major lessons from the piano professors and took a whole bunch of other music courses as distribution credits towards the science degree. Once I convinced the music department to double-credit those classes as credit towards a B.Mus. degree, the rest was easy. I was practicing plenty anyways, and I never had any trouble with the number of courses I had to take. Of course, if they had not been willing to credit the computer science classes as distribution classes for purposes of the music degree, and credit the music classes as distribution classes for purposes of the computer science degree, it would have been a different story.

So, now I have a B.Mus. degree that I have used for absolutely nothing concrete... but I must say, it has opened the door to many things just by virtue of being on my resume. Apparently it really impresses people, and I have been able to get interviews and jobs because of it.

Hope this helps.

#413462 - 10/18/01 05:18 PM Re: To major in performance or double major.....
ChemicalGrl Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Durham, North Carolina
I remember when I was an undergrad ... a few of the music majors I knew minored in Computer Science. Seemed like a natural thing to do, since the work they were doing in their music major involved a lot of work with computers and programming anyway.

#413463 - 10/19/01 08:43 AM Re: To major in performance or double major.....
AndrewG Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Hi Mike,

May I ask what kind of piano a model 'K' is like? Grand or vert? I'm curious.

#413464 - 10/19/01 09:56 AM Re: To major in performance or double major.....
magnezium Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Singapore
Mike: you did a computer science degree, a music degree, and now you're a lawyer? wow...

#413465 - 10/19/01 12:52 PM Re: To major in performance or double major.....
MikeC65 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewG:
Hi Mike,

May I ask what kind of piano a model 'K' is like? Grand or vert? I'm curious.[/b]

It is a 52" vertical. Steinway began making it in 1903 (it was called the "Vertegrand") and ceased making it in 1929. They begain making it again, with some modifications but basically the same scale design, in 1982. Frankly, I think the new ones are wildly overpriced (about $23K) compared to the quality of new (or used) grand you could get for the same money. But I really like mine. Here is a picture of the modern Model K (I hope this works):

#413466 - 10/19/01 12:55 PM Re: To major in performance or double major.....
MikeC65 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by magnezium:
Mike: you did a computer science degree, a music degree, and now you're a lawyer? wow...[/b]

Yes, I did. I practice law full time (I'm a family law attorney), but I also write and sell computer software for Missouri attorneys, and try to practice as much as possible too. Relating that to the subject of this thread, you should not base your decision on whether to double-major TOO closely on your immediate plans right out of college. As you can see from my experience, plans change. If you really want the double-major, you should do it regardless.

[ October 19, 2001: Message edited by: MikeC65 ]

#413467 - 10/19/01 01:15 PM Re: To major in performance or double major.....
Amy Offline

Loc: Upstate New York
Thanks for the replys. I would like to get my masters right after I finish my undergrad and definatly try to work towards my PhD.

#413468 - 10/19/01 05:01 PM Re: To major in performance or double major.....
swb Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Amy:

I'd be more worried about getting a job with a performance degree than with a music ed degree. But a couple of thoughts. Since you love piano, maybe you should consider a degree in piano pedagogy (hope I spelled that right). Unlike music ed, this degree is for teaching piano, a career you can pursue through schools, colleges or as an entrepreneur. A double major is a great idea. Even if you go with piano performance, you could double with anything. I, oddball that I am, doubled in English and Math, all the while taking piano, singing in a choir and taking dance classes. I ended up with a law degree and I practice law and still play the piano. The point being, no matter what you do, you can still pursue music. And there's a lot to be said for having an employable skill when your education is complete. Don't be scared away from being a music educator. It's a great career with lots of employment opportunity, even though many options will be outside of the university environment.

#413469 - 10/19/01 05:19 PM Re: To major in performance or double major.....
MikeC65 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by swb:
Amy:
(snip)
I, oddball that I am, doubled in English and Math, all the while taking piano, singing in a choir and taking dance classes. I ended up with a law degree and I practice law and still play the piano. (snip)[/b]

Woo-hoo, there's another one of us! What kind of law do you practice? I'm a family law attorney. And I still practice and perform.

#413470 - 10/20/01 12:24 AM Re: To major in performance or double major.....
swb Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Mike:

I practice estate planning, probate and tax (very geeky, what can I say). But, geeky as it is, you can make a living practicing law and still find time to love music. Unfortunately, music is still a very hard way to make a living. My piano isn't nearly as interesting as yours - a plain ol ebony Kawaii grand. Oh well.

#413471 - 10/21/01 02:19 PM Re: To major in performance or double major.....
PianoMuse Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philly, PA
My advice:

I was a music Education major. It was so much work that i could hardly keep up with it, I can't imagine a double major with music ed and something else! Music ed. is like a double major in itself. Unless you are absolutly willing to sacrifice all your time and basically all your social life ( which i did for a year and half), then i would say go for it, girl! But if you are not sure, then i would say be very carefu, b/c you can burn out easily..i did, and i had to drop the education concentration. Now i am general music, with a concentration on piano pedagogy, and its MUCH better.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How about this Knabe Studio Piano?
by Paul678
09/20/14 11:49 PM
Who invented the Compression Soundboard?
by chernobieff
09/20/14 11:46 PM
Round Eagle Claw Piantool
by jayr
09/20/14 11:08 PM
Tuning Stability
by PhilipInChina
09/20/14 10:48 PM
External Powered Speakers for Yamaha Clavinova
by eighty80eights8s
09/20/14 10:19 PM
Who's Online
113 registered (beet31425, anotherscott, AZ_Astro, accordeur, 34 invisible), 1025 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76260 Members
42 Forums
157659 Topics
2315711 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission