Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#413726 - 12/29/07 08:08 PM Cortot edition of Chopin's etudes.
hopinmad Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Eryri/Manchester
I've just purchased the Cortot editions of Chopin's etudes and am greatly interested by it.

I am, however, concerned about how much time one should be giving the preparatory exercises for the studies, and how often to include them in a practise session etc.. Does anyone here work on the etudes using that edition and can maybe tell me their experience of using it???

Thanks a lot!

P.S.

It's the op.10 I got.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#413727 - 12/30/07 11:28 AM Re: Cortot edition of Chopin's etudes.
BruceD Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
I have the Cortot edition of the Chopin Etudes and while I have looked at some of the preparatory exercises and found them interesting, I have never had the inclination nor the patience the work through them to the extent that Cortot suggests.

If, for example, one were to follow every one of Cortot's recommendations for Op 10 No 5, counting all the variants (varied fingerings, varied touches) one would end up doing more than 65 preparatory exercises for this Etude alone. I think that the better route to go would be to look at which of these exercises best help individual needs and work on those.

It would be interesting to hear if anyone has ever done all the preparatory exercises for any individual Etude and hear what that person felt the results were. Is the investment in time worth the outcome? I would think, though, that if one were to follow Cortot slavlishly - if one were to live long enough to be able to do so! - one would undoubtedly have any Etude studied absolutely rock solid from the standpoint of technique.

There are other things, though, that I would like to do with my practice time, as interesting and as challenging as some of these exercises might be.

Regards,

#413728 - 12/30/07 06:45 PM Re: Cortot edition of Chopin's etudes.
Palindrome Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Some people have a real gift for generating technical exercises. I read of Godowsky sitting down at a keyboard and demonstrating 35 ways one could practice a Clementi study! Cortot was, obviously, another with that ability. Strangely, in contrast, as a teacher he seemed to have spent little time in such effort, concentrating on the emotional core of the music. Solomon studied with Cortot for a while and found this little to his liking, leaving, after a short period of time, to work with someone else (Rumschitzky, I believe).

I hope someday to have enough time to learn at least one piece from Cortot's set of exercises. He put together many "work editions" covering a wide range of romantic and classical literature, and also wrote the Rational Principles of Pianoforte Technique, which has been discussed here in at least one thread. Joyce Hatto claimed it was her use of the Cortot method that gave her the extensive mastery of the piano literature that her discography seemed to evince (and the less said about that, the better). ;\)

#413729 - 12/30/07 06:54 PM Re: Cortot edition of Chopin's etudes.
Allazart Offline

Technical exercies for technical exercises seem a little excessive. See if you can glean anything from his discussion/preamble and apply it directly to the study of the etude you're interested in.

#413730 - 12/31/07 08:10 AM Re: Cortot edition of Chopin's etudes.
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsinki, finland
some of what he says is more useful, other things he says are less useful....it's hard to go into detail. For anyone who plays op 10 no 2, he changed chopins fingerings quite a lot and I heard from a friend who plays it that Cortots are much more useful.

In general, take some help from the Cortot excercises that YOU find useful, and if necessary, make up your own excercises in addition to this. Everybody's different, and Cortot, when writing about the studies, doesn't know ANYTHING about your particular problems or talents.

#413731 - 01/01/08 07:27 AM Re: Cortot edition of Chopin's etudes.
Borje Offline

Loc: Sweden
I have tried some of the etudes in Cortots books,
but the only one that was useful for me, without
to much work, was op.25 no.1 where he had a different fingering in the right hand, that helped me to reach almost the right speed \:\(

#413732 - 01/01/08 09:42 AM Re: Cortot edition of Chopin's etudes.
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsinki, finland
I use cortots fingering for that etude also (that is, RH from first bar: 5-2-4-1-2-3-5-etc), it helps the articulation.

#413733 - 01/03/08 07:53 AM Re: Cortot edition of Chopin's etudes.
hopinmad Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Eryri/Manchester
I play the first two exercises, the first better than the second, but they're both well learnt and I have performed the first a couple of times.
However, I have changed my fingering's to both now to fit Cortot's, and where the second study is concerned, it's much better. I see not much difference in the first.
I do think that the preliminary exercises for the first are excellent, since working through them my hand is much better positioned over they keyboard and so it 'feels' much better. Not that I couldn't play the notes before, but they were certainly not as firm as they are now after playing Cortot's preliminary exercises.

I think the way to approach the exercises, as you've said, is to figure out which ones apply to you. In a way, Cortot gives these exercises assuming the student has none of the technical skill required to play the piece (not exactly, he knew maybe students would pick and choose from the exercises) and so if one learnt all of Cortot's exercises then the study would be well within one's grasp. Most pianists, though, have the ability to overcome a particular difficulty, - or indeed have already overcome it-, in an etude, so that laborious hours on some of the exercises isn't neccessary. It is a difficult task, however, without a teacher, to know which exercises are required for a student to progress efffectively.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
149 registered (ajames, accordeur, Abby Pianoman, AndresD, Alexander Borro, 49 invisible), 1760 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75596 Members
42 Forums
156306 Topics
2295608 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Mason & Hamlin BB with Live Performance
by eugene_bb
07/31/14 12:50 PM
Temperament and Western Music Common Intervals
by prout
07/31/14 12:44 PM
P80 for 150
by LarryShone
07/31/14 11:26 AM
Happy Birthday torquenale !!!!
by CarlosCC
07/31/14 08:26 AM
compositional methods
by Michael Sayers
07/31/14 08:03 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission