Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#415221 - 11/15/07 10:46 PM Russian Conservatories
Colin Thomson Offline

I have been looking at the St. Petersburg and Moscow (more St. Petersburg, because I think Moscow requires some sort of degree from a previous music school) conservatories online, and was wondering how tough they are to get into, in comparison with Curtis or something like that. I would like a conservatory that will be VERY strict and demanding, as much so as possible, but also one that I have a chance of getting in. I don't even know if a conservatory is the route I will take, but i am trying to research it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Colin Thomson

A New Way To Sight Read Like the Pros

www.SightReadingAcademy.com

Colin Thomson

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#415222 - 11/15/07 11:39 PM Re: Russian Conservatories
T.S.R. Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
I think it depends what level you are at. You haven't really mentioned anything about what you've accomplished so far? Give us more insight!

Tom

#415223 - 11/16/07 12:46 AM Re: Russian Conservatories
Colin Thomson Offline

I would be looking at something like this for probably like 2 years from now when I am 20 or so. I would hope to study intensively between now and then, like hopefully around 4 good hours of practice a day.

Right now I can play three Chopin Waltzes (# 3, 6 and 7), Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# minor, and i am working on the entire Moonlight Sonata (not that far off), and the Chopin Polonaise in A (Military). I know that is not enough, but I am looking toward what I could accomplish in the next 2 years. How hard would I have to work to get to that level? Pretty much I am willing to work as hard as I need to. I saw that at St. Petersburg they accept 18 year old and up piano players, so at least i wouldn't be competing with 6 year olds who are better than me. Just 18 year olds who are better \:\) .

So anyway, I really am serious about piano, and I would like a very intensive piano education. But Curtis or Juilliard look like they are above my ability to get to in 2 years. Any thoughts?

Colin Thomson

Colin Thomson

#415224 - 11/16/07 01:14 AM Re: Russian Conservatories
vanityx3 Offline

I'm sure you have, but have you thought about the language difference? It might be hard to learn russian in two years and also practice piano too.

#415225 - 11/16/07 07:27 AM Re: Russian Conservatories
Colin Thomson Offline

Yes, thought of that. They have a 10 month preparatory course that works on what you would like to major in, as well as the Russian language. Between now and then I would work on Russian, and then take the course and be in the country for 10 months, I think I would get to know the language well.

But I don't need it to be in Russia. I was hoping for the step down from Curtis and Juilliard, so that I could get in, but also as intense piano study as possible.

Colin Thomson

Colin Thomson

#415226 - 11/16/07 04:04 PM Re: Russian Conservatories
BruceD Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Colin :

Here are just a few preliminary thoughts :

The first thing you need to do before you start making too many plans is to find out exactly[/b]what the Conservatory's entrance requirements are. You need to find out what the Conservatory's quota is for new students in any given year, and if there is a quota for foreign students. If they accept only a small number of foreign students per year, you might find your chances slim of getting in, realizing that there are always eighteen-year-olds with years and years of study behind them competing to get into good Conservatories.

If you feel that you can fulfil the requirements when you are ready to make the move, and that you have a chance of beating your competition to get in, then you also need to check with the Russian Consulate to find out what you need to do to be a registered alien while studying in Russia.

You need - obviously - to find out the costs of living and studying in Russia and, as foreign students have to do when coming to the US, you might have to prove your financial independence for the duration of your time in Russia to the Russian government before a visa is granted for your stay. One could be accepted for admission by the Conservatory but refused entrance into the country if one can't provide proof of financial independence for the length of the stay in the country.

Regards,

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
123 registered (Abby Pianoman, ajames, accordeur, 36251, 35 invisible), 1590 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75588 Members
42 Forums
156290 Topics
2295337 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Baldwin E250 1998
by sort
07/30/14 08:11 PM
Shostakovich and Prokofiev
by Verbum mirabilis
07/30/14 06:01 PM
Used piano buying choices
by BrianDX
07/30/14 05:55 PM
You & Your Piano
by DancerJ
07/30/14 05:12 PM
Fun etudes?
by chasingrainbows
07/30/14 04:41 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission