Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#418293 - 10/23/07 11:22 AM Best Bach WTC edition?
JenniferGC1 Offline

Loc: Colorado
Does anyone have suggestions on a good edition of Well Tempered Clavier? I have the Dover edition, and I usually like Dover, but I'm looking for an edition that breaks the voices out between the hands a bit better and is easier to read.

Thanks

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#418294 - 10/23/07 11:38 AM Re: Best Bach WTC edition?
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
Out of interest, who is the editor of your Dover edition?

#418295 - 10/23/07 12:13 PM Re: Best Bach WTC edition?
JenniferGC1 Offline

Hmmm...I don't have it in front of me right now but will post it tonight.

So I guess I'm not sure how editions work now that I read your question. Should one look for a specific editor rather than specific editions?

Thanks

#418296 - 10/23/07 12:19 PM Re: Best Bach WTC edition?
keyboardklutz Offline

On the front page it will say edited by or (in German) Kritische Ausgabe von. The fingering could well be by someone else. Dover normally reprint very good editions, so I'm wondering whose they chose.

#418297 - 10/23/07 12:50 PM Re: Best Bach WTC edition?
8ude Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I'm not familiar with the Dover, but I have had good luck with other Dover scores, so that'd probably be good. Henle is really good, but expensive.

One to avoid at all costs is the Schirmer edited by Czerny.

#418298 - 10/23/07 01:01 PM Re: Best Bach WTC edition?
Knabe26 Offline

Loc: Northern California
8ude, what it is about Schirmer/Czerny that makes it one to avoid? (Since I've picked up some old Schirmer editions at used book sales, including WTC 2, I'm wondering if I should just donate them back...) I have volume 1 in a Peters edition, fingered (if I'm reading the German correctly) by Kroll. Is that a good edition?

www.cameronparkpiano.com
Full-Time Private Piano Instructor

#418299 - 10/23/07 01:23 PM Re: Best Bach WTC edition?
pianoexcellence Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Abbotsford, BC, Canada
I just bought the palmer edition. I use it for teaching.

Jeremy BA, ARCT, RMT
Pianoexcellence Tuning and Repairs

#418300 - 10/23/07 01:41 PM Re: Best Bach WTC edition?
8ude Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Knabe26:
8ude, what it is about Schirmer/Czerny that makes it one to avoid? (Since I've picked up some old Schirmer editions at used book sales, including WTC 2, I'm wondering if I should just donate them back...) I have volume 1 in a Peters edition, fingered (if I'm reading the German correctly) by Kroll. Is that a good edition? [/b]
Quite simply, there are numerous mistakes, many of them rather blatant. I have played probably about 3/4 of book one - and for each of those that I've played I compare various editions and in almost all cases, better editions have shown the Schirmer to be in error. Some of the errors are more obvious than others, but from what I've seen, this edition just comes up lacking.

#418301 - 10/23/07 01:46 PM Re: Best Bach WTC edition?
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
 Quote:
Originally posted by JenniferGC1:
Does anyone have suggestions on a good edition of Well Tempered Clavier? I have the Dover edition, and I usually like Dover, but I'm looking for an edition that breaks the voices out between the hands a bit better and is easier to read.

Thanks [/b]
I'm not sure what you mean about "breaks the voices aout between the hands a bit better" [than Dover]. Most editions I have seen have pretty well the same hand distribution, although some editors will shift one or two notes from one hand to the other if that is deemed helpful. I don't think you're going to find much variation in distribution of parts between the hands.

On the other hand - so to speak! - Henle is always considered good for fingering, the print and paper quality are excellent; you might want to investigate Henle.

Alfred (ed. by Willard A. Palmer) is heavily edited, but done by a recognized scholar in Baroque performance practice; the phrasing and dynamics are considered by some to be quite useful suggestions, as long as the reader realizes that these are editorial suggestions and not Bach's indications.

In Alfred, all the ornaments are written out above or below the stave in light grey print, which can be very helpful if you don't have a good memory for all the Baroque ornament signs and symbols.

Alfred does have some peculiarities in its edition, one of them being that some pages have as few as four staves - very open, and easy to read - while others have as many as six. It's also bound in plastic spiral - which I particularly do not like since some Preludes and Fugues span several pages, and one needs to be careful if you have to turn pages quickly while playing.

What is particularly interesting in Alfred are the tables at the back of the volume. One, "Articulation Tables," takes each Fugue's voice and shows how as many as a dozen different performers - Gould, Gulda, Demus, Hamilton, Landowska among them - have articulated the voice of each Fugue. Another, "Table of Tempo Indications" lists the tempi that some editions, some pianists' recordings and some harpsichordists' recordings have used for the Prelude and Fugue in each.

Personally, I might not recommend Alfred as ones only edition; but it certainly is a useful accompaniment to an Urtext.

The ABRSM edition (edited by Sir Donald Francis Tovey and fingered by Harold Samuel) is also interesting for its comments on each Prelude and Fugue.

Regards,
Writing from Paris until 15 May, 2014

#418302 - 10/23/07 04:53 PM Re: Best Bach WTC edition?
JenniferGC1 Offline

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean about "breaks the voices out between the hands a bit better" [than Dover]. Most editions I have seen have pretty well the same hand distribution, although some editors will shift one or two notes from one hand to the other if that is deemed helpful. I don't think you're going to find much variation in distribution of parts between the hands. [/b]
It's difficult to explain, but perhaps I should have written "broken out between the clefs" rather than "between the hands." So, a voicing that is on the treble clef in the Dover book is written on the bass clef in another edition and is easier to read; however, both editions may indicate that the same note is to be played with the left hand.

Is this helpful, or more confusing?

Thanks for all the info everyone...very helpful!

#418303 - 10/23/07 05:15 PM Re: Best Bach WTC edition?
Piano Again Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Washington metro
I have been liking the Kalmus edition because it has a lot of scholarly notes explaining differences between the different manuscripts. It also has some fingerings, most very helpful.

I don't think any edition is going to change where the voices appear on the staff. The direction of the stems and the fingerings will tell you which hand to use.

I haven't liked the Alfred with the gray markings; I find them confusing.

Check out my blog !

#418304 - 10/23/07 05:33 PM Re: Best Bach WTC edition?
PoStTeNeBrAsLuX Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Geneva, Switzerland
I have both Henle[1] and ABRSM editions and both have their good points. I think the Henle is a good bit easier to read (paper colour and print quality) and the fingering tends to fit my hands a little better. That said, the ABRSM is pretty good overall, and as Bruce mentions, the accompanying commentaries are interesting and enlightening.

-Michael B.
[1] I have an extra (paperbound) Book 2, which I had rush out and buy on the morning of my exam in Oxford this summer, having discovered on the plane that I had indeed picked up the wrong volume in my rush to get to the airport :rolleyes: . I was playing from memory but needed to provide the examiners with the sheet music...
There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.

#418305 - 10/23/07 07:34 PM Re: Best Bach WTC edition?
bukopaudan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
I agree with the people who say HENLE.

I own the Bach WTC by Henle and it's easier to read, nice paper and print quality, and even though it's a little bit more expensive, it lasts quite a long time--it's beautifully bound as well. It makes you feel quite pampered at the piano.

#418306 - 10/23/07 11:02 PM Re: Best Bach WTC edition?
keyboardklutz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Knabe26:
8ude, what it is about Schirmer/Czerny that makes it one to avoid? (Since I've picked up some old Schirmer editions at used book sales, including WTC 2, I'm wondering if I should just donate them back...) I have volume 1 in a Peters edition, fingered (if I'm reading the German correctly) by Kroll. Is that a good edition? [/b]
Kroll was probably the first scholar to produce urtext editions (1866). So it's good.

#418307 - 10/23/07 11:29 PM Re: Best Bach WTC edition?
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
 Quote:
Originally posted by PoStTeNeBrAsLuX:
I have both Henle and ABRSM editions and both have their good points. I think the Henle is a good bit easier to read and the fingering tends to fit my hands a little better.
Well said, Michael. I agree. Fingering in Henle is superb.

Funny thing about that... whenever I have changed the fingering -I'm certain I must know better- always down the line I find that Henle was best after all.

#418308 - 10/23/07 11:43 PM Re: Best Bach WTC edition?
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
I'm using the Peters (Kroll, Ed.) urtext. It seems reasonably good but I have not compared it to the Henle.

Sophia

#418309 - 10/24/07 03:38 AM Re: Best Bach WTC edition?
AZNpiano Online   sleepy
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
I own both the Henle Urtext and Peters Urtext (ed. Kroll). Henle's layout and print is wonderful. But the Kroll-edited Peters is probably the best Peters edition I've seen. Both editions can get a bit too compressed (e.g., the C-sharp major prelude). And both are really expensive. My Peters edition cost $18.65 in 1994. I got my Henle edition from Taiwan (for $150 NTD, or about $4.50 USD), but I know it runs about $30.00 in the US.

For teaching purposes, I made some students buy the Keith Snell collection of P&F. I like the wide-open layout of the Snell edition, but it does have a lot of wrong notes--they're pretty obvious ones, so you can fix them easily. But the biggest reason is it's cheap. Snell's editorial suggestions always have the student-performer in mind, not the Baroque scholar.

I haven't seen the Alfred/Palmer edition, but I might check it out some time. I like Palmer's edition of the Inventions.

#418310 - 10/24/07 04:48 AM Re: Best Bach WTC edition?
PoStTeNeBrAsLuX Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Jason:
always down the line I find that Henle was best after all.

I get the impression that the Henle editor (Theopold?) was much less afraid of thumbs on black notes, 4 (and 3) over 5 (and vice versa under, in both hands), etc., than was Mr Craxton.

-Michael B.
There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.

#418311 - 10/24/07 07:54 AM Re: Best Bach WTC edition?
Schubertian Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX, US
The most up to date and scholarly edition is the Neue Bach Ausgabe edited by Alfred Duerr and recently published by Baerenreiter.

This is Paul Badura-Skoda's opinion. I just bought it based on his advise in his book on Bach Perforance. It is in paper-bound now. It changed my life.

#418312 - 10/24/07 09:29 AM Re: Best Bach WTC edition?
PoStTeNeBrAsLuX Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Schubertian:
recently published by Baerenreiter....It is in paper-bound now

Their website lists only the clothbound (two) volumes of WTC at quite eye-watering prices, (€123 and €185.) Do you have a reference number(s) for the clothbound ones, or are they part of the four volume Complete Works set (listed at €169)?

-Michael B.

#418313 - 10/24/07 02:03 PM Re: Best Bach WTC edition?
JenniferGC1 Offline

Quote:
Out of interest, who is the editor of your Dover edition?[/b]
I'm afraid I can't find the name of an editor in any of the front matter. It does say it was originally published by Bach-Gesellschaft. Corrections and explanation of ornaments by Saul Novack.

Thanks to everyone for replying.

#418314 - 10/24/07 02:45 PM Re: Best Bach WTC edition?
Amant Offline

Loc: Southwest
Henle hardcover.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
70 registered (AZNpiano, arX, anotherscott, Atrys, antony, 11 invisible), 1193 Guests and 39 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74307 Members
42 Forums
153691 Topics
2253031 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Spelling chords and using correct accidentals
by JoelW
04/24/14 03:11 AM
HELP! Is this strain because of my technique?
by T.M.E.
04/23/14 11:26 PM
Is it my technique that's causing this?
by T.M.E.
04/23/14 10:49 PM
Best brand of upright piano 48" or larger?
by WG40
04/23/14 10:22 PM
Kawai MP11 vs. Kawai VPC-1 Action / Key Length
by jp2011
04/23/14 10:00 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission