2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,866 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Some compositions are best notated straight in MIDI.

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Originally posted by John Citron:
[b] I wouldn't say that this is the most difficult piece ever, but it's sure up there in the top tier:

Busoni's transcription of the Bach Chaconne.

John
I wouldn't put it in the same league as Scarbo or the HammerKlavier. [/b]
Jon,

I wouldn't either. wink

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Max W:
I think I just lowered my IQ by 30 points trying to figure that out. OUCH.
ICK!!! So quite a metric puzzle Nancarrow has presented us with, but how does it sound?

This is the sort of thing that made me a$$ itch in musical school. Composers just creating little self proclaimed 'ingenius' novelties and puzzles and calling them compositions. (disclaimer: I have not heard this work, nor any work by nancarrow. For all I know he's a genius, and I would love this piece if i heard it)

Is the mismatched meter really necessary? Could the desired "musical" effect he's hearing in his head NOT be achieved with conventional metric notation? It strikes me as nothing more than game playing and ego gratification. Where's the music? Seems to me its not about music at all, with this sort of thing. Its about invention and brain teasers.

Again, my apologies if I've mischaracterized this particular piece, but there are countless others that fit the description.

Another thing that would put me off playing piano works younger than myself is that how do I know there's any real music here to be played? Just because some guy with a PhD and a faculty position wrote it? Playing classical allows us to approach a work with the given that there is music there to be discovered. Current works do not guarantee any such thing. And so many of them are so intentionally demanding on the pianist, that the amount of work to prepare them is enormous, and for what? How does one play an inspired performance of a not-necessarily-inspired composition?

Ok there's my rant for the day. I do understand there is some great contemporary piano literature, but I also find there to be droves of crap flooding the field as well. (To be fair, I have no idea where nancarrow fits in that continuum).

I was born the year Glenn Gould stop playing concerts. Coincidence?
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally posted by Siddhartha:
Originally posted by Max W:
[b] I think I just lowered my IQ by 30 points trying to figure that out. OUCH.
ICK!!! So quite a metric puzzle Nancarrow has presented us with, but how does it sound?

This is the sort of thing that made me a$$ itch in musical school. Composers just creating little self proclaimed 'ingenius' novelties and puzzles and calling them compositions. (disclaimer: I have not heard this work, nor any work by nancarrow. For all I know he's a genius, and I would love this piece if i heard it)

Is the mismatched meter really necessary? Could the desired "musical" effect he's hearing in his head NOT be achieved with conventional metric notation? It strikes me as nothing more than game playing and ego gratification. Where's the music? Seems to me its not about music at all, with this sort of thing. Its about invention and brain teasers.

Again, my apologies if I've mischaracterized this particular piece, but there are countless others that fit the description.

Another thing that would put me off playing piano works younger than myself is that how do I know there's any real music here to be played? Just because some guy with a PhD and a faculty position wrote it? Playing classical allows us to approach a work with the given that there is music there to be discovered. Current works do not guarantee any such thing. And so many of them are so intentionally demanding on the pianist, that the amount of work to prepare them is enormous, and for what? How does one play an inspired performance of a not-necessarily-inspired composition?

Ok there's my rant for the day. I do understand there is some great contemporary piano literature, but I also find there to be droves of crap flooding the field as well. (To be fair, I have no idea where nancarrow fits in that continuum). [/b]
I agree. After quick read through without the piano (I don't have a piano at work), it seems typical of the the plink-plunk squeak stuff we here a lot of today. Rhythmically it's just a game because none of the beats really intertwine enough to do anything spectacular.

Just my opinion that usually doesn't seem to count these days.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Actually, it's quite a cool sounding piece, imo (once you figure it out).

koji

"I'm a concert pianist--that's a pretentious way of saying I'm unemployed at the moment."--Oscar Levant

http://www.youtube.com/kojiattwood
https://www.giftedmusicschool.org/
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Thracozaag:
Actually, it's quite a cool sounding piece, imo (once you figure it out).

koji
Any recordings of it you can post?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It's my only one; I apologize for the horrible sound quality (and if you think it's hard to play normally, try playing it when it's been choreographed and you're following a dancer) help

http://s46.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=314TQTL86Y2HA1F557SNR4OUHU

koji

"I'm a concert pianist--that's a pretentious way of saying I'm unemployed at the moment."--Oscar Levant

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Nacarrow has some interesting stuff. I heard EHpianist and her partner play a four-hand transcription of one of the player piano pieces a few months ago. It was fantastic.

If you don't talk to your children about equal temperment, who will?
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It's my only one; I apologize for the horrible sound quality (and if you think it's hard to play normally, try playing it when it's been choreographed and you're following a dancer) help

http://s46.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=314TQTL86Y2HA1F557SNR4OUHU

koji
Thanks! hmmm.. well, ok, i only listened to it once, which is not enough for accessing ANY piece of music.

I guess it did sound more "interesting" than I would have expected. I do maintain that the mismatched meters werent necessary, and could have been scored conventionally. Seems scoring that way made it more difficult for the pianist, but since you were the pianist, you tell me, did the way he notated it actually end up being EASIER to read, or more difficult as I suspect?

Also, was this written expressly to be a dance work with choreography? That puts it in an entirely different context (part of a larger work). Some dance music can stand alone without the footwork, some cant. Also, I may be biased here, as I also studied dance seriously.

Well, I dont like the piece on first hearing. But thats just my subjective impression. My earlier remarks may or may not apply to this work, but certainly to others.

You do have my admiration, and my sympathy, for having accomodated this piece. Thanks so much for sharing.

But let me ask you, since you know it intimately: Do YOU enjoy the piece? Do you find it an inspired composition? Would you recommend it as a work for a pianist to learn, so as to be enriched by it?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It wasn't expressly written to be a dance work, but the fact that it was able to be choreographed so wonderfully the way it was, lends a great deal of credibility to the work, for me.
Would have I learned it were it not required for the concerts? no. Did I enjoy practicing it? no. Did I enjoy performing it with an amazing artist by my side? Absolutely.

koji

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Siddhartha:

And so many of them are so intentionally demanding on the pianist, that the amount of work to prepare them is enormous, and for what? How does one play an inspired performance of a not-necessarily-inspired composition?
Like I said, some compositions should just directly be written in MIDI and save every one else the pain. wink

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Was Baryshnikov the artist to whom you refer? Yes, I imagine that would have been a spectacular experience.

It had been awhile since I read your bio. I forgot you were the pianist for that dance ensemble. Ugh! to be handed a work like that with no choice. That sure identifies the true professionals. Kudos.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yeah, it was Misha. I knew I was in trouble with that piece when Mei-ting told me it took him about 3 weeks practicing just that for 5 hours a day to learn it.

koji

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally posted by Monica Kern:
Originally posted by jazzyd:
[b] Don't know about the hardest, but Finnissy's music seems quite tricky: Here\'s a page. Continued here.

What those sound like.
I just listened to the excerpt of the Finnissy piece. I would rather have a root canal without anesthesia than listen to the whole thing. :rolleyes: [/b]
That was the piece? And here I was thinking somebody recorded six kids running up to a piano in a hotel lobby and just banging on it. wink

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
What a horrible composition. Who on earth would take the time to learn and record that trash.

- Zack -
the Presto Adagio.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yeah, it was Misha. I knew I was in trouble with that piece when Mei-ting told me it took him about 3 weeks practicing just that for 5 hours a day to learn it.

koji
I don't even know how you would go about putting the hands together...

- Zack -
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by C.V. Alkan:
What a horrible composition. Who on earth would take the time to learn and record that trash.
It's fine if you say that you don't like it, but I don't think anyone has the right to say that the music is bad.

I have an ice cream. I cannot mail it, for it will melt.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Piana Justice:
the Presto Adagio.
Which presto? Which adagio?

confused

Sam
A
A
I think I'm going to write a very difficult piece.
Shouldn't be too difficult. laugh

I don't claim it's the most difficult but here's something that's quite challenging (mainly due to the tempo) but very musical (IMO).

Alkan's 'comme le vent'. His metronome mark is 'quaver = 160' and the dominant note values are triplet demisemiquavers so you have to fit 6 of them into each tick for about 4 minutes.

Very impetuous tempo, but it really does sound 'like the wind' at that speed. It's a pretty funny piece too (you almost want to laugh when listening to it)

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission