2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, 14 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#420667 01/11/09 07:31 PM
OP Offline
Sooo...

Say you go to a party and there's a piano. Of course, somebody asks you to play something. What do you play? laugh

Currently tackling:
- Bach, Chromatic fantasy and fugue
- Mozart, Sonata K. 284
- Ravel, Gaspard de la Nuit
- Rachmaninoff, Suite op. 17 n. 2
- 2 Scarlatti sonatas
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Heart and Soul. laugh laugh

Sorry, I could not resist shocked

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
D
D
Chopins "revolutionary" etude!

Yeah, I knooow that´s not the official title (op.10, no.12), but I´m tired of being the only one still calling it that. Even many pianists and professors nowadays seem to accept "revolutionary" as a suitable title, or at least the theory that that´s the likely theme the piece want´s across, considering the time it was composed.

I´m as conservative as they come, and I´ve called it op.10 no.12 forever, but it´s not catching on...I´ve noticed that by calling it "the revolutionary etude", people remember what the piece is called when they´re asking for a reprise!:-)

Of course I´m talking about parties now, if it was like an examination concert at my college or something that formal, I would stick to the official title.

(Sorry if this was a bit off-topic, I just needed to vent)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I've mentioned this recently, but for this thread I'll say it again: Leonard Bernstein called Copland's Piano Variations his "party piece."

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Stockfisch bleiben dicke,
Die Karpfen viel fressen,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Gershwin's 3 preludes...

What you are is an accident of birth. What I am, I am through my own efforts. There have been a thousand princes and there will be a thousand more. There is one Beethoven.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by davaofthekeys:

Yeah, I knooow that´s not the official title (op.10, no.12), but I´m tired of being the only one still calling it that.
You're not the only one, I try to avoid silly nicknames. Though I find I'm mostly annoyed by names that try to suggest a mood of the piece, like "Moonlight" "Revolutionary" "Appassionata" etc. A nickname like "the Waldstein" doesn't bother me as much.

There are way too many variables that would determine what I might decide to play spur of the moment. My mood, the audience, the piano, background noise, etc etc

Since I'm not usually surrounded by people that know/appreciate much classical music, I like it to be quick and painless, and would likely play something like Schumann's Vom fremden Ländern und Menschen. Or I might go for Chopin's Berceuse, or his "Minute" (couldn't resist due to earlier comment smile ) Waltz, his Op 24/2 Mazurka, or a subdued version of Bach's famous C Major Prelude, possibly with the Gounoud Ave Maria melody, that's always pretty popular. Horner's "the Ludlows" from Legends of the Falls always makes people excited for some reason.

Around Christmas time, my "Oh Holy Night" is usually received very well.

If the piano is crappy, then I won't play anything at all.

Daniel

Currently working on:
-Poulenc Trois pièces
-Liszt Harmonies du Soir
-Bach/Brahms Chaconne for Left Hand
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Sorry, not currently a 'classical' piece. I recently went bonkers over Ivor Novello's divinely beautiful song The Land of Might-Have-Been.

I memorized the words and music in one weekend. But then you wonderful folks need to be in love...

Jason
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
It is an insult to the composer to play his music at anything but one's best. If I know I'm going to be asked to play, I'll practice for the party and give them the Chopin Waltz Brillante.

Then again if they are a non classical crowd I'll play a popular standard. Elton John or Billy Joel are easy enough. Or Bumble Boogie by Jack Fina. That's really fun. Good job I don't drink.

It don't mean a ting if it don't have dat swing
I would play either De Falla's Ritual Fire Dance or Villa-Lobos' Polichinello.

Chopin op.10 no.3 - most non-classical music lovers know it.

Or if feeling mischievous either Bartók's Allegro Barbaro or the Stravinsky Tango wink

Yamaha U3 | Currently working on:
Various Haydn Sonatas/Caténaires by Elliott Carter/Lots of Feldman
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have no tact. I feel no need to posture to impress others. I play what I like- as inaccessible as it may be.

Scriabin 8-12 Bis is substantial, short, and visually appealing, although I can't play it well on many of the uprights that I'm asked to play upon- there's something to be said about action and proper seat height.

That being said, I've recently come to love Catoire's miniatures. Koji has inspired me to look at the Etude Fantastique in particular. I would like to use that in the future.

Amateur Pianist, Scriabin Enthusiast, and Octave Demon
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Chopin C-minor Polonaise. It's the only thing currently "performance ready" and it exhibits several moods. But I never play at a party unless they ask me BEFORE I've had a drink.

SantaFe_Player
Heels down, and tickle the bit.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Maple Leaf Rag

Hee hee. I play ragtime too. Usually one of my own ragtime compositions (I've got quite a few by now). But if I'm at a non-ragtime-friendly party, I play Chopin - a mazurka or a waltz or something.

T
T
I don't really have a lot to work with, since most of the music I know are choral accompaniments and I don't own a lot of 'regular' piano music. I have a lot more to play during Christmas time since I can adapt many of those songs out of a hymnal and I do have book of Christmas songs for piano/vocal. My parents did have a Barry Manilow book, so I'll usually play and sing Mandy if people ask me to play and it's not Christmas time. I used to do mvt 3 from Moonlight sonata, but it's been a couple years since I've played anything that advanced, and my piano teacher owned all of that music, so I don't have it now.

Hi,
I like a lot of the previous selections; wish I could play them. For me it's St. Louis Blues (Handy), Don't Get around Anymore (Ellington), Now's the Time (Parker) and occasionally Lady Madonna (Beatles). Wish I had better technique and memory for some of the classical or rags I play at home.

N
N
I always keep the Intermezzo (fourth movement) of Schumann's Faschingsschwank aus Wien, Op. 26, ready for just such occasions. smile It is short, flashy, passionate, and beautiful, and (as I play it) exactly 120 seconds long.

Nicholas B.

Steinway B (1912 rebuilt)
Kawai RX-2 (2008)
Ridicolosamente: Since I'm not usually surrounded by people that know/appreciate much classical music, I like it to be quick and painless, and would likely play something like...
...the last part (Friska Bb-maj) of Liszt's HR #6; sometimes, everybody will actually stop talking and drinking and listen.

I can usually do fine with that Allegro section even if I've finished an alcoholic drink. I will not play a piano after a second drink is close to being finished; control slips away too much.

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Depends on the mood, who is listening and the patience of the listeners. Usually one or more short pieces like:

Bach Prelude BWV 887
Bach Prelude BWV 883
Bach Prelude and Fugue 881
Brahms Intermezzi 117 #3 or 118 #2
Adagio from Mozart Sonata K457

Haydn Sonata Hob XVI:6 if they are interested in something longer.

Best regards,

Deborah
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
I just look at them with this "you think my art is some party trick I do on demand??" look. And then I go and sightread Chaminade's Scarf Dance, with a bunch of wrong notes, or some other cheesy thing, whatever junk music is lying around on the piano. The main idea is the make the person who asked regret it, so they won't do it again.

X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
wr is a jerk. :p .
Right now I just play some piece i composed with a little extra flair, or I play some pop song like Mad World, some muse songs, or some coldplay. Once I learn the pieces though, I'll use Brahm's Opus 118/3 in Gm, the Mozart's Sonata K283 3rd movement, and Chopin's Revolutionary Etude. The Sonata and Revolutionary Etude are gonna [hopefully] be in my next set of pieces to learn after what I'm doing now. Of course those pieces are the flashy ones I'll be learning...Clair De Lune is also quite popular since almost everyone knows it and I play it rather well, and if the audience is musical I might play my Chopin Waltz 34/2, but that piece only entertains those who appreciate music not just flash. :].

Chopin: Nocturne No. 15 in Fm. Op. 55 no.1.
wr: ...The main idea is the make the person who asked regret it, so they won't do it again.

WR, that's rather a harsh attitude. Are you talking about total strangers or friends?

It seems like not only will they not request you play something, they won't even re-invite you to any more gatherings.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Chopin, Op. 25, No.1

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by playliszt:
...the last part (Friska Bb-maj) of Liszt's HR #6; sometimes, everybody will actually stop talking and drinking and listen.
I played the whole piece once at a party. All the talking quiet down immediately just after a few opening measures. And the last part, isn't it the best party piece? laugh

LisztAddict,
I can actually think of one that's even better; and not HR#2 either. How about Liszt's Grand Gallop Chromatique ?
Now that's party music, dare I say Circus music?
Too bad that one's not in my fingers

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Yes, I think Grand Gallop Chromatique is more of acrobat/circus music. It's a great piece if you are surrounded by highly trained classical pianists.
HR #6 is probably more attractive to the general audience because it has sing-able melodies.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally posted by playliszt:
[b] wr: ...The main idea is the make the person who asked regret it, so they won't do it again.

WR, that's rather a harsh attitude. Are you talking about total strangers or friends?

It seems like not only will they not request you play something, they won't even re-invite you to any more gatherings. [/b]
Why? It's nothing other than exactly what they asked for, and they are the one to blame, not me. I'm only the innocent victim of their presumption that anyone who plays the piano must also be a pathetic attention glutton who is always just salivating at any chance to perform, no matter what the circumstances.

Actually, that post was just a fantasy - I've never really done that. But as you may have guessed, I really don't like the idea that guests should be expected to perform unless it has been discussed beforehand. I mean, if you're a great cook or maybe a professional one, do you think it's okay to ask you into the kitchen to whip up some canapes just because we know you can cook? Or if you're a doctor, is it okay for people to buttonhole you to ask about their aches and pains? Do all the other guests have to do something special to justify their presence? Just because I can play the piano doesn't mean I want to play right there and then, or for that group.

In real life, I've sometimes said I didn't have anything prepared (which was true at the time and will probably remain true forever, so it is the perfect excuse). Or if there are other pianists at the party and someone else has broken the ice by playing something, I may dig through whatever music is handy and play something I find that I more or less know. And this is nice because it demonstrated that I don't have anything prepared without having to say it. Or, and this is what happens most often and I enjoy it, I'll end up sight-reading 4-hand stuff with someone, which is a lot of fun and there's something about the interaction of the players (or maybe it is just that there are two people playing one keyboard) that often seems to amuse the other guests, I think.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Here is the perfect party piece.

Of course it helps greatly if your audience has a variety of percussion instruments at their disposal, and they all know how to play them on cue. :p

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Mine is one of the many simple, short ragtime pieces that I can play offhand anytime. Everybody (I hope) loves ragtime!!

Working On:

BACH: Invention No. 13 in a min.
GRIEG: Notturno Op. 54 No. 4
VILLA-LOBOS: O Polichinelo

Next Up:

BACH: Keyboard Concerto in f minor
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by whippen boy:
Here is the [b]perfect party piece.

Of course it helps greatly if your audience has a variety of percussion instruments at their disposal, and they all know how to play them on cue. :p [/b]
You've also gotta have hair like that to play it right! eek

Best regards,

Deborah
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by whippen boy:
Here is the [b]perfect party piece. [/b]
That's the best version of tico tico no fuba I've seen. thumb

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Piano Man and Killer Queen.

Matt

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission