2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, benkeys, 17 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by BruceD:
Originally posted by Monica K.:
[b] "O Fortuna" from Carmina Burana by Carl Orff?
Is that ...er ... orff the record?

Cheers! [/b]
laugh

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Bassio:
Originally posted by BruceD:
[b]
Originally posted by Monica K.:
[b] "O Fortuna" from Carmina Burana by Carl Orff?
Is that ...er ... orff the record?

Cheers! [/b]
laugh [/b]
You know, a fairly well known living composer refuses to listen to anything by Orff because of his Nazi sympathies. Personally I can't stand Carmina because, to my ears, it must be the single most overrated piece of art music in the general public's consciousness. :t: cursing cursing
When my choir was assigned to perform it, I begged the head of my school's choral department to reassign me to another choir. He agreed to do so partly because he agreed with me!

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Stockfisch bleiben dicke,
Die Karpfen viel fressen,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by Janus Sachs:
You know, a fairly well known living composer refuses to listen to anything by Orff because of his Nazi sympathies.
A well-known living composer who is a Nazi sympathizer? Or a dead man with Nazi sympathies? Are ghosts interested in earthly politics? Apparently, pieces of music do occasionally have sympathies. Some Wagner chunks have Nazi sympathies, for example, although Wagner himself did not. It's all very interesting...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Antonius Hamus:
[b] You know, a fairly well known living composer refuses to listen to anything by Orff because of his Nazi sympathies.
A well-known living composer who is a Nazi sympathizer? Or a dead man with Nazi sympathies? Are ghosts interested in earthly politics? Apparently, pieces of music do occasionally have sympathies. Some Wagner chunks have Nazi sympathies, for example, although Wagner himself did not. It's all very interesting... [/b]
Gosh, you'd think grammatical ambiguities would be clarified by context. Guess not!

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Sie bleiben wie alle.
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
You know, a fairly well known living composer refuses to listen to anything by Orff because of his Nazi sympathies. Personally I can't stand Carmina because, to my ears, it must be the single most overrated piece of art music in the general public's consciousness. :t: cursing cursing
Orff, unlike Karajan or Gieseking, seems never to have been "tainted" by his Nazi sympathies. So how did he rate? Probably because of the filthy nature of Carmina and Catulli, (which Goebbels seemed to have missed) and then Orff's benign music for children.

But like Strauss and Pfitzner (look up the term dour German and there will be a picture of old Hans), Orff got out alive.

Okay, but aside from the operas Ariadne and Boheme, there is no Karajan in my CD collection. Gieseking, aside from some Debussy which he seems to have had a knack for, is utterly overrated.

The problem is, things just came too easily (per our recent thread about talent?) for Gieseking. When asked what was the hardest part about learning the complete Beethoven sonatas, he reportedly replied: "memorizing them, but even that wasn't very hard".

It shows in his (recorded) piano playing, and I will not deal with a pompous German who always gives the impression of just skimming over the great Everests of the piano repertoire.

Indeed. Things were just too easy for him. What an arse.

Jason
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
[b]
[b] You know, a fairly well known living composer refuses to listen to anything by Orff because of his Nazi sympathies.
A well-known living composer who is a Nazi sympathizer? Or a dead man with Nazi sympathies? Are ghosts interested in earthly politics? Apparently, pieces of music do occasionally have sympathies. Some Wagner chunks have Nazi sympathies, for example, although Wagner himself did not. It's all very interesting... [/b]
Gosh, you'd think grammatical ambiguities would be clarified by context. Guess not! [/b]
I'd think it obvious that sometimes they are and sometimes they are not. In this particular case, what would be the context supposedly clarifying the intended meaning?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
[b]
[b] </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Janus Sachs:
<strong> You know, a fairly well known living composer refuses to listen to anything by Orff because of his Nazi sympathies.
Gosh, you'd think grammatical ambiguities would be clarified by context. Guess not! [/b]
I'd think it obvious that sometimes they are and sometimes they are not. In this particular case, what would be the context supposedly clarifying the intended meaning? </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yawn, not taking the bait. Bye.

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Sie bleiben wie alle.
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Couldn't care less, Janus. Wasn't trying to catch anything.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by argerichfan:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Janus Sachs:
You know, a fairly well known living composer refuses to listen to anything by Orff because of his Nazi sympathies. Personally I can't stand Carmina because, to my ears, it must be the single most overrated piece of art music in the general public's consciousness. :t: smokin I certainly don't think of her as an arse!

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Sie bleiben wie alle.
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Though, just to play devil's advocate for a moment, couldn't one say that Argerich found things too easy too? Just saying, don't take it too heavily... smokin I certainly don't think of her as an arse!
Martha Argerich probably found playing the piano as easy as -if not easier- than Gieseking, but at least here we're dealing with an individual of enlightened liberalism. She is a very caring person, yet tends to keep her political views quiet. (George W is not one of her idols.)

Contrast it with Gieseking, who, like Karl Bohm, made an issue of the fact that he stayed in Germany during the War. Bohm, so typically, could only say: "I was bombed just like the others". He was bitter about it. Furtwangler was too.

But I don't think Gieseking ever got over it. I do not think he ever played in the US post WWII, but at an appearance in Vancouver BC, he was said to have been very rude to both his agents and admirers.

He didn't care to be on the loosing side.

Jason
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
If he didn't care to be on the losing side, I guess he'd rather have had his fuehrer finish off the remaining millions of undesirables across Europe. Such a distasteful business, I suppose. Isn't it wonderful that men of culture could be so above all of that petty politics stuff.

Whoops, quite OT.

R
R
Up until last year, I myself didn't know Grieg's Peer Gytn Suite. So I think thats one that people would recognize, especially from movies (Inspector Gadget for example), and not know who it was by. I also find that people don't know that Tchaikovsky wrote the Nutcracker or that Bach wrote the famous Toccata and Fugue in D Minor.

Once during a concert at Carnegie Hall, the violinist Rachmaninoff was playing with lost his place in the music and whispered to Rachmaninoff, "Where are we?" Rachmaninoff replied, in all seriousness, "Carnegie Hall".
R
R
I just thought of another one. Delibes Pizzicati from Syliva. Another one that's heard on tv and in movies, that most people probably recognize.

Once during a concert at Carnegie Hall, the violinist Rachmaninoff was playing with lost his place in the music and whispered to Rachmaninoff, "Where are we?" Rachmaninoff replied, in all seriousness, "Carnegie Hall".
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
This all reminds me of an extraordinarily famous composer, whom few people seem to know!

Harold Arlen.

Edward Jablonski's biography mentions a story where Harold Arlen was riding in a taxi when he heard the driver whistling "Stormy Weather".

Arlen asked the driver to name the composer, to which the driver replied, "Irving Berlin", then Richard Rodgers, then Cole Porter.

When Arlen said he had written the piece, the driver said "Who are YOU?"

Practically everyone on this forum would recognize at least a dozen of his tunes. Rather than list them, here is a fascinating link.

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
How about Chopin's Prelude in C-minor and his Fantasy Impromptu B-section.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Whenever I can't quite place a Beethoven work over
ClassicFm radio ... it always turns out to be
something by Schubert which I instantly forget.

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Whenever I can't quite place a Beethoven work over
ClassicFm radio ... it always turns out to be
something by Schubert which I instantly forget.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Schubert's theme from "Rosamunde", isn't that the piece they play int the cartoon with the two little mice when something is sad or very romantic?
Mozart's "Elvira Madigan" theme?
Chopin's first piano concerto from "The little Girl who lives down the Lane"? (Maybe I'm dating myself now......)

Some men are music lovers. Others make love without it.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Wow Whippen Boy...

You caught me on that one!

How many know who wrote JOY TO THE WORLD?

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Issac Watts?

Who wrote Jingle Bells?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission