2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, 4 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

Sam
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Joy to the World - Handel?

Who wrote Hark, the Herald Angels Sing?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Who wrote Hark, the Herald Angels Sing?

That would be Mendelssohn.

-Michael B.

There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Who wrote Jingle Bells?
James Lord Pierpont, of course. It was titled, "One Horse Open Sleigh," and originally had a different chorus with a much more interesting (IMO) structure.

originally posted by btb:

Whenever I can't quite place a Beethoven work over
ClassicFm radio ... it always turns out to be
something by Schubert which I instantly forget.
Now THAT is really funny!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The Star Spangled Banner!

Everybody in the U.S. knows it!

But not Francis Scott Key!

Practice makes permanent - Perfect practice makes perfect.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by btb:
Whenever I can't quite place a Beethoven work over
ClassicFm radio ... it always turns out to be
something by Schubert which I instantly forget.
Interesting!

On that topic, it once took me about 15 min to recognize his 5th symphony. That was of course, after the 1st mvt. had played(before I tuned in).

Practice makes permanent - Perfect practice makes perfect.
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by playadom:
The Star Spangled Banner!

Everybody in the U.S. knows it!

But not Francis Scott Key!
Hey mate, we've been though this before.

Here is my post (unedited) from a previous thread:

From "Music in England" by Henry Raynor:

The Anacreontic Society was founded in 1766; it met in the Crown and Anchor Tavern on the Strand "for supper and the singing of catches, glees and songs." Each meeting opened with the glee by John Stafford Smith, 'To Anacreon in Heaven', which was the 'constitutional hymn' and which, not many years later, became 'The Star-Spangled Banner'...

Interesting, no?

I've never cared much for it. Why can't the US use "America the Beautiful"? A classier tune, and anyone can sing it.

Jason
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Classier? Maybe.

But certainly not as stirring!

I know some organ arrangements of the "Star Spangled Banner" that are extremely thrilling. Jason, I bet you know them too. wink

Not quite the same effect with "America the Beautiful".

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally posted by argerichfan:
[QUOTE]The Anacreontic Society was founded in 1766; it met in the Crown and Anchor Tavern on the Strand "for supper and the singing of catches, glees and songs." Each meeting opened with the glee by John Stafford Smith, 'To Anacreon in Heaven', which was the 'constitutional hymn' and which, not many years later, became 'The Star-Spangled Banner'...

Interesting, no?

I've never cared much for it. Why can't the US use "America the Beautiful"? A classier tune, and anyone can sing it.[/i]
The "mistake" in choosing "The Star Spangled Banner" as a national anthem comes from picking a song that has a range of an octave and a half, which means that most untrained singers can't sing it. Is there another national anthem with such a wide range?

Does any other country have the bizarre - if not disrespectful - tradition of having non-singers trying to sing (too often unsucessfully) their national anthem at mass events?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
R
R
Also just as a side note, I think the US is only one of like two countries in the world that doesn't have it's name in it's national anthem. I think that's just one more reason to use "America the Beautiful"

Once during a concert at Carnegie Hall, the violinist Rachmaninoff was playing with lost his place in the music and whispered to Rachmaninoff, "Where are we?" Rachmaninoff replied, in all seriousness, "Carnegie Hall".
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally posted by Rach.3Freak105:
Also just as a side note, I think the US is only one of like two countries in the world that doesn't have it's name in it's national anthem. I think that's just one more reason to use "America the Beautiful"
Have you done research on this?

The French national anthem, "La Marseillaise" makes no mention of France in its lyrics. "...enfants de la patrie... is the closest mention, and "children of the fatherland" could be applicable to any country.

If "God Save the Queen/King" is the "official" English national anthem, there is no mention of England in that anthem's verse, either. It is, it appears, not the national anthem of England but that of Great Britain. One website claims "Land of Hope and Glory" as England's national anthem, and England isn't mentioned in that song, either.

We Canadians, on the other hand, sing the word "Canada" four times in the first verse of "O Canada": there's no ambiguity in our anthem!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
R
R
Actually no, I didn't :rolleyes: but I was fairly certain it was something I had read on here a while ago. Maybe I was wrong, if it's false, then it's my fault.

Once during a concert at Carnegie Hall, the violinist Rachmaninoff was playing with lost his place in the music and whispered to Rachmaninoff, "Where are we?" Rachmaninoff replied, in all seriousness, "Carnegie Hall".
H
H
Hoedown-Copland (Known to many as the "BEEF" Song!)

You can take a noob and train him all day but that'll just make him a trained noob...
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by whippen boy:
I know some organ arrangements of the "Star Spangled Banner" that are extremely thrilling. Jason, I bet you know them too. wink
Well as a matter of fact, I do. But no one can sing it like Whitney .

She is spectacular. Nice plagal cadence near the end. After Aretha's disaster at the 1968 Democratic Convention, there was really no where to go, was there?

Then again, the great man conducts Land of Hope and Glory. He was a supreme conductor of his own music, just listen to how he paces it.

Plenty of Last Night at the Proms on YouTube. Very stirring. As a young teen my mother took me to one of those extravaganzas.

I was so overcome by emotion that I just couldn't sing it, but that is where my lifelong adoration of Elgar started. He is "our" composer. smokin

Jason
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
But here is a nice example of those "Last Nights" which I loved.

It will be noted that Elgar's orchestration has never been changed. He got it right the first time. Interestingly, both Stravinsky and Strauss made changes to their scores after an initial run through. Elgar never did.

Make of that what you will...

Jason
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission