Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#421180 - 08/21/06 05:04 PM Jewish Pianists
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
I found this list while surfing. Quite amazing considering only about 1 out 500 people are Jewish. Any thoughts why there is such preponderence of great pianists who were Jewish? I think it is a cultural phenomenon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JEWISH PIANISTS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Charles Alkan
Vladimir Ashkenazy 1
Emanuel Ax
Victor Babin
Gina Bachauer 11
Dmitri Bashkirov 13
Daniel Barenboim
Simon Barere
Boris Berman

Lazar Berman
Victor Borge
Alexander Borovsky
Alexander Brailowsky
Yefim Bronfman
Ignaz Bruell
Shura Cherkassky
Harriet Cohen
Bella Davidovich
Misha Dichter
Samuil Feinberg
Vladimir Feltsman
Annie Fischer 2
Leon Fleisher
Yakov Flier
Claude Frank
Ignaz Friedman
Emil Gilels
Grigory Ginsburg
Leopold Godowsky
Alexander Goldenweiser 8
Richard Goode
Gary Graffman
Mark Hambourg
Clara Haskil
Myra Hess
Vladimir Horovitz
Eugene Istomin 9
Byron Janis
Joseph Kalichstein
William Kapell
Julius Katchen
Mindru Katz

Louis Kentner
Evgeny Kissin
Vladimir Krainev 14
Lili Kraus 10
Wanda Landowska
Ruth Laredo
Josef Lhévinne
Rosina Lhévinne
Radu Lupu 3
Hephzibah Menuhin
Benno Moiseiwitsch
Ignaz Moscheles
Murray Perahia
Menahem Pressler
André Previn
Michael Roll
Moritz Rosenthal
Anton Rubinstein
Artur Rubinstein
Nikolai Rubinstein
Harold Samuel
András Schiff 4
Artur Schnabel
Peter Serkin 5
Rudolf Serkin
Abbey Simon

Solomon (Cutner)
Wladyslaw Szpilman
Mark Taimanov
Carl Tausig
Sigismund Thalberg
Rosalyn Tureck
Isabella Vengerova 12
Alexis Weissenberg
Paul Wittgenstein 6
Maria Yudina 7

NOTES
1. Jewish father, non-Jewish mother.
2. See Jewish Budapest by Kinga Frojimovics et al. (Central European University Press, Budapest and New York, 1999, p. 366.)
3. Information confirmed by sources in the Romanian émigré community in Israel.
4. See http://www.jewhoo.com.
5. Jewish father, non-Jewish mother.
6. Like his brother the philosopher, Paul Wittgenstein was three-quarters Jewish.
7. See http://www.jewishgen.org/Belarus/rje_y.htm.
8. Jewish father, non-Jewish mother.
9. See http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A11016-2003Oct10.html. Tim Page's obituary article in the Washington Post stated that Istomin's parents were "of Russian-Jewish ancestry." Based on name analysis, Istomin's mother (née Asya Chavin) was almost certainly Jewish. This, however, is less likely to have been the case for his father, George Istomin.
10. See Lili Kraus: Hungarian Pianist, Texas Teacher, and Personality Extraordinaire, by Steven Henry Roberson (Texas A&M, 2000, p. 1).
11. See http://www.bachauer.com/archive-1.asp.
12. See http://www.jewishgen.org/Belarus/rje_v.htm.
13. See http://www.jewishgen.org/Belarus/rje_b.htm.
14. Jewish mother, non-Jewish father.

SEND QUESTIONS AND COMMENTS TO: jinfo@jinfo.org
JEWS IN MUSIC
JINFO HOME

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#421181 - 08/21/06 05:07 PM Re: Jewish Pianists
Max W Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: RHUL
I'd say it is more by coincedence due to the countries that they are born in, rather than the religion...

#421182 - 08/21/06 05:35 PM Re: Jewish Pianists
Silent Thoughts Offline

It has to do with the culture in which we were brought up (and I believe it's a very different culture now, which is why there are far fewer well-known Jewish musicians, proportionally speakign). Back in the good ol' days, with quotas for how many Jews could attend a university and lots of anti-semetism all over, Jewish children were taught to study hard and work hard to pull themselves out of their generally deplorable situations.

Nowadays, lots of (American) Jewish kids (Americans are really all I can speak for) grow up in middle-class, safe environments. Parents probably don't push as hard, and the kids care much less to work hard and succeed.

That's all just my opinion, of course. You can make of it what you wish. \:\)

#421183 - 08/21/06 05:37 PM Re: Jewish Pianists
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Have a look at a list of gentile pianists. I'm sure you'll find that we're still a very small minority.

Although there are some very big names in that list you found... (look at the same website for a list of famous Jewish conductors, violinists, and songwriters/composers).

#421184 - 08/21/06 05:41 PM Re: Jewish Pianists

Quote:
Originally posted by Max W:
I'd say it is more by coincedence due to the countries that they are born in, rather than the religion... [/b]
But I can't imagine that the percentage of Jewish
people in countries in Europe/USA was/is anywhere nearly high enough to expect such an amazing result based only on country of birth.

#421185 - 08/21/06 05:45 PM Re: Jewish Pianists
reonat Offline

The real question is why do they all come from eastern europe countries ? What's so special about those people ? Is it the way they teach ? or is it just that those countries have the biggest musical heritage (classical music) in the world ?

#421186 - 08/21/06 05:50 PM Re: Jewish Pianists

It would be interesting to compare the list I posted with the list that Philips used in their Great Pianists(around 100 CD)issue. I think around 40 of the pianists on my list made the cut for Great pianists of the 20th century(which had around 100 pianists I believe).

#421187 - 08/21/06 06:04 PM Re: Jewish Pianists
Contrapunctus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Whittier, California
You forgot Daniel Pollack, Rosina Lhevinne's student. He's Jewish. Also, I think that RL was Dutch, not Jewish.
www.danielpollack.com

#421188 - 08/21/06 06:06 PM Re: Jewish Pianists
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reonat:
The real question is why do they all come from eastern europe countries ? What's so special about those people ? Is it the way they teach ? or is it just that those countries have the biggest musical heritage (classical music) in the world ? [/b]
Well, our 'classical' music is European 'classical' music. One wouldn't expect a ton of Asian, Australian, African, or American (North/South) musicians in our list of greats. During the 20th century, this changed a little bit, but the heritage for hundreds of years remained in Europe.

Other countries/cultures do have their own musical heritages; ours is not the only one. But in terms of our own heritage, it is from Europe.

And why so many Jews from Eastern Europe? That's where they all lived before the Holocaust. They used to all be in the Middle East thousands of years ago, and then when they were all finally exiled, they mostly settled to Eastern Europe.

#421189 - 08/21/06 06:07 PM Re: Jewish Pianists
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Contrapunctus:
Also, I think that RL was Dutch, not Jewish.
[/b]
Are there no Dutch Jews? \:\)

#421190 - 08/21/06 06:47 PM Re: Jewish Pianists
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Jewish culture has long placed a high degree of importance on culture. It's one of the reasons they were able to survive so long without a country of their own to live in.

And yes, they're probably from Europe because Europe invented classical music and the piano.

Noticing that European Jews play a lot of classical piano is a lot like noticing that a lot of Christians in Texas listen to country music. \:D
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#421191 - 08/21/06 06:49 PM Re: Jewish Pianists
reonat Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Kreisler:
Noticing that European Jews play a lot of classical piano is a lot like noticing that a lot of Christians in Texas listen to country music. \:D [/b]
hahaha when you put it like that, the answer is pretty obvious indeed \:D

#421192 - 08/21/06 07:21 PM Re: Jewish Pianists

Quote:
Originally posted by pianoloverus:
It would be interesting to compare the list I posted with the list that Philips used in their Great Pianists(around 100 CD)issue. I think around 40 of the pianists on my list made the cut for Great pianists of the 20th century(which had around 100 pianists I believe). [/b]
I looked at the list that was used for Phllips Great Pianists of the 20th Century. Although there were around 100 CDs only 70 pianists were represented since some had multiple CDs. Of the 70 pianists on the list 31 were Jewish according to the list I posted at the top of the thread.

#421193 - 08/21/06 07:43 PM Re: Jewish Pianists
oldcars Offline

Loc: Philly burbs
An interesting tid bit regarding White Christmas. Arguably, one of the most recorded tunes in American history was written by Irving Berlin, a Jewish immigrant, whose father was a rabbi.
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined. Henry David Thoreau

#421194 - 08/21/06 07:49 PM Re: Jewish Pianists
Piano*Dad Offline

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
The problem with lists like that is that they are not an objective random sample of "the best." The concept of "the best" is itself not easily turned into a measurable concept. Clearly you can take a survey and use the results of the survey as data, but constructing a random sample of whatever population you're interested in surveying is not what these "great pianist" lists are all about.

I too suspect that jewish pianists (or musicians in general) would be overrepresented on any such objective list. I just haven't seen a list that I would identify as one based on a scientific sampling technique.
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#421195 - 08/22/06 02:00 AM Re: Jewish Pianists
gabytu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Or.
It is not only a cultural phenonenon, but a surprise to me. I was aware of the number of Jewish violinists, but not so much aware of the pianists. I once commented to a Jewish friend, that so many of the greatest violinists were Jewish. She responded that the reason there were so many Jewish violinists, is that when they had to flee from persecution, it was easier to carry a violin with them than it was to carry a piano. She will be surprised when I show her the list of Jewish pianists.Gaby Tu

#421196 - 08/22/06 02:10 AM Re: Jewish Pianists
C.V. Alkan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Jews have historically excelled in intellectual and cultural persuits. There is a reason we have survived all these years of persectution. You'll also find that a disproportional number of Jews have attended top notch universities. We also tend to be very successful in business. Much of the anger Hitler roused was due to frustration at Jews controlling the economy. We are simply characterized as being hard working and, well, smart...

#421197 - 08/22/06 09:03 AM Re: Jewish Pianists
oldcars Offline

Loc: Philly burbs
 Quote:
Originally posted by C.V. Alkan:
Jews have historically excelled in intellectual and cultural persuits. There is a reason we have survived all these years of persectution. You'll also find that a disproportional number of Jews have attended top notch universities. We also tend to be very successful in business. Much of the anger Hitler roused was due to frustration at Jews controlling the economy. We are simply characterized as being hard working and, well, smart... [/b]
The Nobel Prizes are awarded by the Nobel Foundation of Sweden to men and women who have rendered the greatest service to humankind. Between 1901 and 2005, more than 750 Nobel Prizes were handed out. Of these, at least 157 are Jews.

Joel
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined. Henry David Thoreau

#421198 - 08/22/06 09:18 AM Re: Jewish Pianists
MAK Offline

Loc: New York Metropolitan Area
Those of you who think that Jews possess superior business skills, intellect, and talent, have obviously not met my in-laws.

Bosendorfer 175

#421199 - 08/22/06 09:43 AM Re: Jewish Pianists
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland
 Quote:
Originally posted by MAK:
Those of you who think that Jews possess superior business skills, intellect, and talent, have obviously not met my in-laws. [/b]
Or me.

#421200 - 08/22/06 01:18 PM Re: Jewish Pianists
Jawzz Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Wladyslaw Szpilman

You should see his movie, "The pianist"
Its about his life in the 2d world war, great piano pieces in it, it was the movie what made me play piano.

And by the way, who cares pianists are jewish or not? (im atheist)

#421201 - 08/22/06 02:02 PM Re: Jewish Pianists
Piano*Dad Offline

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Jawzz,

It is movies like The Pianist that remind us of what the world lost as a result of Europe's anti-semitism come to horrific fruition in Germany and Eastern Europe.

BTW, PW has had a number of threads on The Pianist in the past.

DF
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#421202 - 08/22/06 02:11 PM Re: Jewish Pianists
Igor Stravinsky Offline

What an interesting thread. I have been curious about this myself. I believe that in the following years we'll see much more Chinese pianists and then there will be a corresponding thread: "Why so many Chinese pianists?" Even as we are speaking, they are working on it.

#421203 - 08/22/06 02:16 PM Re: Jewish Pianists
Frank_W Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: United States
Chinese, Jewish, Black, Caucasian... Why does it matter so much? (And of all the forms of bigotry and discrimination, anti-Semitism is the one that I find truly impossible to understand.) Weird...

#421204 - 08/22/06 03:24 PM Re: Jewish Pianists
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Manassas,Va
Hello... and ...I have a close Jewish friend, a piano teacher...His dad was one of the founders of the Portland Maine Symphony...A Russian Jewish Concert Master violinist...I asked him this question... He told me this "The Jewish people were not accepted in polite society for some years here in America...They learned that education and hard work was the answer to get ahead...The Jewish people were accepted in the American musical world.. Customs and heritage played a role too...Sandy B

#421205 - 08/22/06 04:26 PM Re: Jewish Pianists
iconoclast Offline

Loc: Ancramdale, NY
"There are three kinds of pianists: Jewish pianists, homosexual pianists, and bad pianists".
- Vladimir Horowitz

#421206 - 08/22/06 05:09 PM Re: Jewish Pianists
Frank_W Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: United States
 Quote:
Originally posted by iconoclast:
"There are three kinds of pianists: Jewish pianists, homosexual pianists, and bad pianists".
- Vladimir Horowitz [/b]
Which just goes to show that maybe he should have talked less and just played the piano. :rolleyes:

#421207 - 08/22/06 06:51 PM Re: Jewish Pianists

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank_W:
 Quote:
Originally posted by iconoclast:
- Vladimir Horowitz [/b]
Which just goes to show that maybe he should have talked less and just played the piano. :rolleyes: [/b]
I think it's quite amusing and clever.

#421208 - 08/22/06 07:03 PM Re: Jewish Pianists
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jawzz:
Wladyslaw Szpilman

You should see his movie, "The pianist"
Its about his life in the 2d world war, great piano pieces in it, it was the movie what made me play piano.

And by the way, who cares pianists are jewish or not? (im atheist) [/b]
Read his book, too.

Also read "The Inextinguishable Symphony." I don't remember the name of the author, but it's a great book (true story) about Jewish musicians during the Holocaust.

#421209 - 08/22/06 07:58 PM Re: Jewish Pianists
Palindrome Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by MAK:
Those of you who think that Jews possess superior business skills, intellect, and talent, have obviously not met my in-laws. [/b]
(Ahem) And what do you suppose your in-laws think of you?

A very old, and very Jewish, joke:

Sam: So how's that new son-in-law of yours?

Harry: Not so good. He can't drink, and he can't play [i.e., play cards, not piano ;\) ].

Sam: And what's wrong with that? Lots of guys, they can't drink, and they can't play.

Harry: Yeah, but him - he can't drink, and he drinks, and he can't play, and he plays!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is Bondfix just as good as Hotstuff CA glue?
by Paul678
09/22/14 10:42 PM
What's up with Paulello?
by jim ialeggio
09/22/14 10:13 PM
Kawai RX-2 and RX-2 BLAK
by myip
09/22/14 08:15 PM
UVi Grand Piano, cant get the MIDI Files help?
by JungleJim
09/22/14 06:23 PM
Sheet Music for "The Villain"
by johnbarnesiii
09/22/14 06:06 PM
Who's Online
107 registered (Anne'sson, AZNpiano, A Guy, anotherscott, a-z0-9, 40 invisible), 1344 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76290 Members
42 Forums
157699 Topics
2316365 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission