Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#4220 - 09/18/06 09:15 PM Just purchased a Fischer piano. Can anyone tell me anything about them? :)
Summiebee Offline

Loc: Ohio
**Newbie warning**Well the price was right (200$.)... It looks to be in wonderful condition. It's for my 7 yo dd. It sounds great(from what I could tell) So anyone know anything about these? History etc.? Did I pay a fair price? The piano looks wonderful inside and out all the "felt" or whatever(can you tell I know nothing) that is inside looked wonderful. Completely(almost) new looking. It's black(I suppose that is obvious) and the only thing that looks out of sorts is the bench fabric which is more like pleather.

Here is a picture. \:\) Thanks for help and advice! [url=http://]piano[/url]

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#4221 - 09/18/06 09:24 PM Re: Just purchased a Fischer piano. Can anyone tell me anything about them? :)
Terry_dup1 Offline

Loc: CT
I'm SO[/b] sorry....

but you say you got a good Fischer Price?

Seriously, best of luck & I hope you enjoy the piano!!

#4222 - 09/18/06 09:27 PM Re: Just purchased a Fischer piano. Can anyone tell me anything about them? :)
Rich Galassini Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Cant follow the link, but have an independent tech. look it over for you - and enjoy it!

Good Luck and welcome!
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#4223 - 09/18/06 09:40 PM Re: Just purchased a Fischer piano. Can anyone tell me anything about them? :)
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Terry, the pun police will be at your door shortly. \:D

Summiebee, congratulations on your new piano! $200 is about as cheap as one can hope to pay for an upright. Rich is correct; the piano will surely need tuning, so have a tech come in and tune and inspect you and let you know what else needs fixing.

#4224 - 09/18/06 10:23 PM Re: Just purchased a Fischer piano. Can anyone tell me anything about them? :)
Summiebee Offline

Maybe this link will work for the pics...note pic was taken in the old owners home....It needs a good dusting when it arrives.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

#4225 - 09/18/06 10:29 PM Re: Just purchased a Fischer piano. Can anyone tell me anything about them? :)
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
It is an Aeolian-American console. The price you paid for it is OK.

#4226 - 09/18/06 10:34 PM Re: Just purchased a Fischer piano. Can anyone tell me anything about them? :)
Summiebee Offline

Hey I figure if she does not want to stick with it (although I am a big advocate of making my children give it 100% for at least a year) then I am out just 200$. If she loves it and has talent I'll replace it with the best.

So did the Fisher Price comment mean it's toyish and junky? Is it going to fall apart on the way home??? Worse comes to worse I duct tape it and paint it pink. ;\) She'd probably love the pink.

I was hoping that I did OK. The crazy thing is I play several musical instruments(several saxophones, clarinet and oboe) and the child decides to take an interest in the one I do NOT play nor own. :rolleyes: I think though I may take lessons also. I've always wanted to learn.

#4227 - 09/18/06 11:58 PM Re: Just purchased a Fischer piano. Can anyone tell me anything about them? :)
VGrantano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
I think J&C Fischer was one of the better Aeolian pianos. Well worth $200.00 Have a tech check it out. Even if you have to spend a few dollers more it should be a good starter for your youngster.
Good luck with it.

#4228 - 09/19/06 09:27 AM Re: Just purchased a Fischer piano. Can anyone tell me anything about them? :)
Terry_dup1 Offline

Loc: CT
 Quote:
So did the Fisher Price comment mean it's toyish and junky?
NO NO NO, I really regret your thinking that;
I was simply making a joke, as I saw the word Fischer, and price in the same post.

\:\(

#4229 - 09/19/06 09:32 AM Re: Just purchased a Fischer piano. Can anyone tell me anything about them? :)
Monica K. Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Summiebee:
The crazy thing is I play several musical instruments(several saxophones, clarinet and oboe) and the child decides to take an interest in the one I do NOT play nor own. :rolleyes: I think though I may take lessons also. I've always wanted to learn. [/b]
Don't you just love kids? My daughter did the same thing to me. Here I have a Tier 1 piano sitting in my living room, and she decides she wants to learn how to play.... the flute. :rolleyes:

Please do start up lessons. I think you will find the piano rewarding as a solo instrument. And if you do, come join us on the Adult Beginners forum. \:\)

#4230 - 09/19/06 09:44 AM Re: Just purchased a Fischer piano. Can anyone tell me anything about them? :)
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cincinnati
Do spend the money for a tech to go through it and make it as good as it can be. A piano action that does not operate properly might discourage your daughter. That one looks in the pic to be in fine shape. It may not have been played much at all.

It is also a console, meaning its a little bit bigger than a spinet and will likely have a little better sound.

Enjoy!

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'

#4231 - 09/19/06 11:24 AM Re: Just purchased a Fischer piano. Can anyone tell me anything about them? :)
Summiebee Offline

Gotcha Terry...when I was trying to do some research on it I kept putting in Fischer and google kept returning FISHER PRICE PIANO. LOL. We have one of those too. \:\) Hehe. I was scared I bought like the worst thing ever. \:\) I was thinking "I got took" LOL. I always start to get the buyers remorse. LOL. I hope I did not offend you by misunderstanding you. Last thing I need is an angry pianist. Did I spell that right?

I am totally showing my ignorance of the subject today. LOL. ;\)

Ok so when I call a tuner...is that what he is called? A tuner? Do I say I want it tuned or do I say I want it tuned and gone over or what? I don;t want to sound like an idiot. So help!!!

I am also SO excited ot see a beginer forum for me! I am wondering if I already know how to read music if I can become self taught. Hmm.
Interesting. I love to read and apply. Maybe worth a shot?

How about that carpet in the pic...nice eh??

#4232 - 09/19/06 11:31 AM Re: Just purchased a Fischer piano. Can anyone tell me anything about them? :)
Summiebee Offline

Monica,
I was so excited for her to pick one I actually knew something about...(I was pushing Oboe or Soprano Sax in a bad way) and she's like...hmm...a piano!!!! I am sure I had a priceless look on my face. Well she is EXTREMELY shy nearly mute in public and she wants to play the piano!(very NOT shy at home) I told her about the recitals etc. She was all ready to go and excited! I am really hoping that this is a way she can express herself (with music) she has always been very interested in any sort of music or art. She'd rather draw or color or create all day than do other 7 year old things like watch tv, or play games. I am glad that she is finding her little niche.

#4233 - 09/19/06 11:35 AM Re: Just purchased a Fischer piano. Can anyone tell me anything about them? :)
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
 Quote:
Originally posted by Monica Kern:
Don't you just love kids? My daughter did the same thing to me. Here I have a Tier 1 piano sitting in my living room, and she decides she wants to learn how to play.... the flute. :rolleyes: [/b]
Do I see a duet at the Kern's household???
PTG Associate

#4234 - 09/19/06 12:28 PM Re: Just purchased a Fischer piano. Can anyone tell me anything about them? :)
w_scott_iv@yahoo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: West Virginia
Summie -
It's wonderful that your daughter would rather entertain herself w/creativity rather than to rely on the mind numbing passive entertainments that threaten us all. The piano looks great. I'm betting it has a direct blow action (unlike smaller spinets) and that it's a better instrument than the ones most of us learned on. Assuming it's in as good condition as it appears to be, I believe you got a great deal. There has been a trend toward taller pianos in the last 20 years, but many people much prefer a console (like yours) and if I were selling it I'd probably ask @ $1,000. Congratulations and good luck. Walt

#4235 - 09/19/06 01:26 PM Re: Just purchased a Fischer piano. Can anyone tell me anything about them? :)
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
Just ask the tuner/tech for a tuning and suggestions on whatever else (s/he) might suggest to get it ready for a beginner student. You might need a double tuning a few weeks apart or so to bring it up to pitch and somewhat stabilized. While s/he is there, he may suggest a lot of other things that are more money than you want to spend, but somethings s/he notices might be important, like damper pedal etc.

Just promise us that you really WILL get another better piano if your daughter sticks with it for a year? As a past piano teacher, I heard that so many times with out the follow through and the students got very discouraged.

As far as you learning on your own or having lessons? HAVE LESSONS to get you started on the right track. What you have learned in the past will very much help you to learn faster, but there is nothing like someone explaining and showing you some things.

#4236 - 09/19/06 01:44 PM Re: Just purchased a Fischer piano. Can anyone tell me anything about them? :)
Monica K. Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Monster M&H:
[QUOTE]Do I see a duet at the Kern's household??? [/b]
Trust me, you don't want to. We've tried playing a couple of very short duets that she has in her flute lesson book (I play one of the lines). It is filled with interruptions like "Wait...let me start over...No, I said I was going to play the TOP line, not the bottom line...uh, just a minute...let's start over again..."

One thing I've noticed is that, while I thought my piano was loud, a flute played by a beginner has ear-piercing potential previously undreamed of.

Summiebee, when you schedule the first tuning, explain to the tech that you just bought an old console (give him the brand and approx. age) and that there may be minor repairs also needed so that he can schedule in some extra time for you. I suspect the first service call will take longer than a typical tuning.

#4237 - 09/19/06 08:38 PM Re: Just purchased a Fischer piano. Can anyone tell me anything about them? :)
Summiebee Offline

Any idea what this thing weighs?

#4238 - 09/19/06 09:23 PM Re: Just purchased a Fischer piano. Can anyone tell me anything about them? :)
Jeff Bauer Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
659 lbs..

Did I win?

Yamaha | Schimmel | Bösendorfer | Knabe | Seiler | Restored Steinway

BauerHouse Productions

#4239 - 09/19/06 09:41 PM Re: Just purchased a Fischer piano. Can anyone tell me anything about them? :)
Roger Ransom Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: SouthWest Michigan
Monica

Even with all the difficulties I think you will be glad your daughter is learning to play the flute. I LOVE the sound of flute and piano together. It sounds wonderful to me.

I tried so-o-o-o hard to get one of my sisters and then my daughter to play flute so we could play duets together but - no dice.

I finally achieved as close to my dream as I'll ever get by buying a Kurzwel Mk 10 keyboard that - among many other voices - has an excellent flute sound.

Now I can play piano/flute duets even if only with myself. At least I don't have too many arguments about tempo etc.

You're lucky.

#4240 - 09/19/06 11:14 PM Re: Just purchased a Fischer piano. Can anyone tell me anything about them? :)
RickG Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
Summiebee,
Congrats on the piano. Assuming that there are no major problems, you did very well. May it bring much joy in your family.

#4241 - 09/20/06 09:33 AM Re: Just purchased a Fischer piano. Can anyone tell me anything about them? :)
Monica K. Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Roger Ransom:
Monica

Even with all the difficulties I think you will be glad your daughter is learning to play the flute. I LOVE the sound of flute and piano together. It sounds wonderful to me....

You're lucky. [/b]
I know I am. It has been a wonderful adventure to watch my daughter progress from truly ear-splitting awful squawks to making real music. (She's been playing since July.) And it's gratifying to see how much pleasure SHE derives in her progress.

I need to find some real piano/flute duets that aren't too hard on either side.

#4242 - 09/20/06 11:12 AM Re: Just purchased a Fischer piano. Can anyone tell me anything about them? :)
Mark Purney Offline

Loc: Mesa, AZ
 Quote:
Originally posted by Terry:
 Quote:
So did the Fisher Price comment mean it's toyish and junky?
NO NO NO, I really regret your thinking that;
I was simply making a joke, as I saw the word Fischer, and price in the same post.

\:\( [/b]
Don't feel bad, it was the first thought that entered my mind, too. By the way, Fisher Price now makes a "Peek-a-boo" piano for $29.99. A little bird pops up occasionally, but I'm not sure what for (maybe to offer suggestions and corrections on technique?).

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Two treble clefs
by Amwriter
13 minutes 23 seconds ago
Arpeggios! How and how much do you practice them?
by malkin
23 minutes 49 seconds ago
Canon in D in 2+ parts/voices
by kobethuy
Today at 02:50 PM
Advice on Hammer purchase.
by plns
Today at 01:37 PM
Light Hammers- Computer Analysis of 3 Grand Piano Actions
by chernobieff
Today at 01:12 PM
Who's Online
140 registered (accordeur, alfredo capurso, 36251, alans, 43 invisible), 1505 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76277 Members
42 Forums
157672 Topics
2315948 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission