2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, 10 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#422062 05/24/06 04:01 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
What are your other daily activities/jobs that you do everyday besides practice along with your hobbies ? Describe things about yourself that would help give people an idea of who you are. I just want to see how diverse the pianists here are.

I'm med student, transferred from John Hopkins to University of Florida(priviate school tuition is ridiculous). For now im back for a few weeks, and i've been catching on my other hobbies. I play basketball and also lift weights. Not much of a bodybuilder, im actually a runner. I run 2 miles everyday and after that i practice with my nunchucks (2 years training with a master + few more years of jeet kune do training). Im also into cars, im a mercedes fanatic. I use to be a hardcore gamer, especially on counterstrike and age of the empires II.

smile

#422063 05/24/06 04:23 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks for sharing that, virtuoso! Do you feel like posting a photo?

By the way, can we make this another picture sharing thread? Is it time to do that again?

OK... I'll share some of my most bizarre trivia, which folks may find interesting. whome

I rode a motorcycle for years, but now drive a SAAB. smile

In my checkered past :p I've owned a bakery, been a special loans officer (mortgage banking), and was the webmaster for a fortune-500 company's Intranet (34,000 users). I've worked in Hong Kong, Taipei, Rio, and Amsterdam.

Now I'm "just" a working musician. laugh

I do tours of Paris every two years, serving as a quasi-tour guide and translator for small groups of musicians.

Something more bizarre? OK.

I once attended a cocktail party hosted by Fidel Castro. cool

You will see my name in the credits of several films. I won't say which... hee hee.

PS: No, not *that* kind of film! shocked

#422064 05/24/06 04:36 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I'm a med student too virtuoso thumb in the university of alexandria, egypt
what are you studying right now?
in fact my pathology final written exam is on next saturday laugh
It is very bad that my medical studies take up most of the time - even from piano

Sports:
i used to play tennis seriously - reached rank 7 on the national rankings when i was 12 years
I also like to play football (in the US soccer wink )

Gaming:
love old dos games (for the nostalgia) + now i am experimenting with online and network gaming after i got dsl
wolfenstein - true combat elite .. etc.
anyone here an online gamer? maybe we can organize games in the summer vacation

Programming: i am a very good visual basic programmer .. although i haven't programmed since summer .. i am afraid i lost the sense

#422065 05/24/06 04:47 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Bassio,

What are you doing here?? Go study! laugh

I wish you well on your exams. thumb

#422066 05/24/06 04:49 PM
My 17 years haven't been the most interesting. I have only had two jobs, one as a Kitchen porter at a failing local restaurant and my current working for Tesco Supermarkets.

I once tried to learn the saxophone but gave it up as I found that I didn't have enough time to practice as well as the piano, violin, guitar, college and of course every teenager needs a social life.

I've been learning to drive since last August and have just failed my second test for stalling twice then nearly running over an old lady on a crossing! I don't yet have a car or the money get one.

I guess that I don't have as much life experience as the rest of you but look at it this way, you're old and I'm not!

"If there is anyone here whom I have not insulted, I beg his pardon." - Brahms
#422067 05/24/06 04:53 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Well, I'm a music student... just finished my first year of undergraduate, and my concentration is in musicology.

I played cello all through middle/high school, but haven't really played since last summer. I also compose a little bit lately, and for some odd reason I'm actually really interested in music theory.

During the 4 years of high school, I ran a lot with the high school cross-country team. We did 5-kilometer races (3.1 miles) (and my fastest time was 19:12 laugh ). I was the junior captain in 11th grade, and one of the two team captains in 12th grade. A friend of mine and I used to run together a lot during the summers; in fact last summer we ran 500 miles! That was quite a lot for us. Unfortunately I didn't run much this year at college, but I'd really like to get back into it.

Programming, too, bassio! Although it's been about a year since I did any serious web programming, I did design a few websites during high school, and actually cofounded a company with some friends of mine in 9th grade... not surprisingly it flopped after one job! whome

I'm very interested in philosophy (if you couldn't tell already!) and religion (especially the philosophical aspects of various religions and religion in general). When I was younger, I wanted to become a rabbi (teacher) someday; my ambitions have changed slightly since then, but it's still a strong interest of mine.

I also like to study the French language.

By the way, can we make this another picture sharing thread? Is it time to do that again?
[Linked Image]

Sam
#422068 05/24/06 05:13 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Soon to be 40 years old, my day job is pushing money (and people who get in the way smile ) around. My own spare time is spent playing the piano, reading music and political history books. I, and often Mrs B too, like to ride my (our?) motorcycle around the surrounding Alps or slide down them on narrow waxed planks, depending on the season.

The spare time that isn't my own is spent with my lovely wife (a teacher in an international school here) and our two teenage children, visiting various places, e.g. my wife and daughter are keen museum and art gallery-goers. Last weekend was 'caves ouvertes' at the local vineyards, so we enjoyed sampling of the local produce (hic!).

PS. JoshB, some of the best of us pass the driving test on the third attempt :rolleyes:

- Michael B.

There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.
#422069 05/24/06 05:15 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
my day job is mostly doing c++ stuff, and that's about all i want to say.

#422070 05/24/06 05:17 PM
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
18 years old, 2 more days of college, then exams, then hopefully I get the grades and I will be at uni doing music (and if all goes well, focusing on performance). I also want to do a masters afterwards but that depends on finance. Aside from this I 'sort of' collect CDs and LPs, I collect & play Saturn and Dreamcast imports (games), and I occasionally play golf and snooker as well.

#422071 05/24/06 05:19 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Here's some things I can think of off the top of my head:

Have been a stay-at-home mom for 6 years, getting tired of looking at clutter so come on here to block it out for a while.

Before that worked at some office type jobs both full and part-time (all dealing with money laugh ). Have been a cashier at K-mart in H.S. and college and even got to run a Blue Light Special at K-mart and make the announcement, "attention K-mart shoppers, we are having a blue light special in or ladies clothing dept. right now . . . ".

First go around at college in the 80's went into field of fashion design but know nothing about fashion now so don't ask for fashion advice!

Been fly-fishing and hiking a lot in the west with my husband in my pre-kid days - waders don't fit now!

Grew up in Colorado and grew up camping and fishing quite a bit.

#422072 05/24/06 05:35 PM
I
I
46 years old. Senior electrical engineer at a major fuel cell power systems R&D company. Weekends spent at my microestate puttering around on the tractor, kayaking w/ the wife and kids or occasionally romping around the hills on my TY-350 trials bike. Came into piano from a progressive rock background and once in awhile get out the old gear and jam with friends.....

#422073 05/24/06 05:37 PM
19 year old piano performance student to start at the chicago college of the performing arts. I also love to read all sorts of things, but especially science fiction and comic books.

#422074 05/24/06 05:38 PM
AJB Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I am a secret agent. If I told you any more about what I do, then I would have to kill you. This would be a big job and rather messy.

I am not really a piano player. This is just a cover. However I am a good quality cover - I am felt lined.

Adrian

C212. Teaching. Accompaniment.
#422075 05/24/06 06:26 PM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I'm a music student at WVU. I'm getting a B.A. (just changed) since I completed the performance level requirements awhile ago. My concentrations are Composition and Piano. I make my money playing poker and bussing tables as of right now. Trying to save up enough to move out to California after graduation to pursue a career as a film composer.

#422076 05/24/06 07:01 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'm on faculty in a music department with 550 music majors. I coordinate the group piano classes and teach pedagogy, applied lessons in classical and jazz piano, music technology, interdisciplinary studies, and theory. I'm basically a Swiss Army Pianist - jack of all trades, master of none.

On the side, I do educational outreach with the local symphony, play about two dozen concerts/gigs a year, and should be seeing my first set of compositions in print in the next year (pedagogical piano music at the intermediate level.)

For fun, I play a lot of golf, read nerdy science fiction stuff, hang out at the gym, and play video games (a Warcraft III mod called DoTA and Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion right now.)

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
#422077 05/24/06 10:09 PM
I'm an 'older' student, also doing BA at university.

Interests: play piano, listen music, watch DVDs and shopping.

Background: complicate and blank. (AJB: please find out what's going on with my life?) laugh

I'm not pretty, but I don't care.
I want to know people, but I don't know how.
I want to travel around the world, but I don't want to take plane.
I want to keep fit, but I don't like exercises.
I want to do something in my future, but I don't have any ideas what to do.

Anyway, I still feel happy everyday, even I can't do my assignment! wink
That's me!

In my this life, I will enjoy playing the piano
In my next life, I will become a pianist
#422078 05/24/06 10:25 PM
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
A few replies, and then the good stuff.

I once attended a cocktail party hosted by Fidel Castro.
I'm calling Homeland Security as we speak. :p

Whippen:
You will see my name in the credits of several films. I won't say which...
First name Ron?
PS: No, not *that* kind of film!
Oh...

Virtuoso
i practice with my nunchucks (2 years training with a master + few more years of jeet kune do training).
With whom?

PJ:
A friend of mine and I used to run together a lot during the summers; in fact last summer we ran 500 miles!
You should've just taken a car. :p

I'm very interested in philosophy (if you couldn't tell already!) and religion (especially the philosophical aspects of various religions and religion in general).
Have you caught the two hour special on the History Channel lately? (Dealing with 'secret societies' like the Priory of Sion, Opus Dei, Knights Templar, etc.)

Post...Lux:
my wife and daughter are keen museum and art gallery-goers.
If PJ and I spring for a shovel and a pick, will you dig under the pyramid in the Louvre to see if Mary Magdalene is buried there? laugh

AJB:
I am a secret agent. If I told you any more about what I do, then I would have to kill you. This would be a big job and rather messy.

I am not really a piano player. This is just a cover. However I am a good quality cover - I am felt lined.

SAS of FOS? :p

I generally don't like to do this, but I suppose I'll spill. It couldn't hurt letting some of you get to know me...right? smile

I'm a Drexel grad. still living in Philadelphia, for lack of better common sense. I'm in transportation sales now, having half-majored in business/marketing. (The other half was mechanical engineering.) I'm looking to live out towards King of Prussia. If any of you are from the area, or know the area, let me know. I'd like to hear more. (I've spent most of my time in center-city.)

About my interests and hobbies...you want the full list? Or will an abridged version do?

Martial Arts - about 17 different styles (not all 'current'), 4th degree black belt and 3-time world champion in Isshinryu Karate
"Other Sports" - pole vaulting, golf, running, volleyball, snow and water skiing, attempting to water ski in a kayak, baseball, football (neither current), swimming, biking, rock climbing, cliff diving

Want to try: scuba diving, skydiving, bungee jumping, parasailing, etc.

Activities:
Former ROTC. I got to do a lot of stuff from drive a military ship around the ocean to flying jets. I also got to shoot sh*t...when they let me. (I still shoot sh*t, but not with the military. wink ) I decided not to go into the military for personal reasons...but it was a lot of fun for the five years and three months active I did.

Race cars. I did this from 17-19, and it was a lot of fun. I preferred road courses to the circle-jerk, but every once in a while could be talked into doing laps on an oval. I tried rally racing, which was probably my favorite, but it's not so big in the US, and I didn't want to move to Europe. I always wanted to try F-1, but never did. I still go to the "Mazda Race Days" (sometimes in several cities) just to have fun without fear of getting a ticket, and every once in a while someone will be very nice and buy me laps for a birthday/christmas present. (Hint, hint... :p )

I'm a writer-working-on-being-an-author. I'm almost done with my first novel, and will hopefully (cross you fingers) be able to send it out by July. I'm a published poet, and had a short story featured in a literary journal.

I'd keep going, but I just got a phone call from someone I haven't talked to in ten years...gotta run. If you want to know anything else, just ask. smile

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
#422079 05/24/06 10:37 PM
B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
YO

I'm finishing my doctorate in piano performance at UMKC in Kansas City. Next year is my last year of course work, and after that it's thesis mode! I play about 25-30 concerts a year of all types - solo, chamber, concerto, and accompanying. This year was rough, I had eleven performances in April alone. [Linked Image]

I just started taking Karate (Chinese kempo) this week. So far, I'm really into it. I've wanted to do this for a few years, and finally getting around to it makes me happy. I think it's a very positive way to release energy.

On June 16th, my life will change forever.

Games I'm into: World of Warcraft (I spend way too much time on this), Rise of Legends, and after I upgrade my video card I'm going to start Elder Scrolls: Oblivion.

#422080 05/24/06 10:45 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Brendan, what's on June 16th?

(if you don't mind my asking wink )

Sam
#422081 05/24/06 10:48 PM
B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
Not saying!

(yet)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission