Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#423953 - 05/07/06 10:16 AM Living Under a Rock!
loveschopintoomuch Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Where have I been all my life...other than listening to mostly Chopin, Rach and Beethoven's Symphonies?

I am ashamed to admit that I knew little of the sonata's he wrote, other than the Moonlight, of course.

I am watching (for the 10th time) Immortal Beloved. What is that piece (I imagine it is a sonata) that is playing right at the beginning where the young women are all swooning?

Thanks.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#423954 - 05/07/06 11:53 AM Re: Living Under a Rock!
Antonius Hamus Offline
2000 Post Club Member

It's the piano sonata no. 8 in C minor...

#423955 - 05/07/06 02:12 PM Re: Living Under a Rock!
4000 Post Club Member

Thank you.

#423956 - 05/07/06 10:14 PM Re: Living Under a Rock!
Kelana Offline

Loc: Singapore
You simply cannot go wrong with a complete book of Beethoven's sonatas. An old, old guy gave me an old edition once. It's stitch bound, so it's still just about holding together, even though frequently played and must be 60-70 years old. The variety of music in there is astounding - from really quite simple and beautiful sonatinas to fiendishly difficult and dramatic pieces. To this day, it's my sightreading exercise of choice to pick a random movement of a Beethoven sonata and start playing until (usually) it gets too difficult after three or four pages.

No.8 in C minor (the Pathetique) is one of the best IMO. It's not as difficult as it looks at first sight, and is a wonderful crowd pleaser once it's up to speed.

#423957 - 05/07/06 11:59 PM Re: Living Under a Rock!
LWpianistin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: VA/MD/England...long story...
 Quote:
Originally posted by Kelana:

No.8 in C minor (the Pathetique) is one of the best IMO. It's not as difficult as it looks at first sight, and is a wonderful crowd pleaser once it's up to speed. [/b]
i'm going to work on it this summer \:\)

#423958 - 05/08/06 12:25 AM Re: Living Under a Rock!
valarking Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas
I hate the first movement of the Pathetique, but I like the second movement and absolutely love the third.

#423959 - 05/08/06 01:47 AM Re: Living Under a Rock!
Kelana Offline

Loc: Singapore
The first movement is great drama - even if a little one dimensional in places.

The second movement is probably the easiest to play (badly), but the hardest to play well. It takes a very delicate touch to pick out the melody and bass without the middle overpowering.

I agree, the rondo is simply fantastic, and the increase in intensity in the last page or so matches the drama of the first movement.

My favourite recording of this so far is Emil Gilels - any other recommendations?

#423960 - 05/08/06 01:49 AM Re: Living Under a Rock!
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
 Quote:
Originally posted by valarking:
I hate the first movement of the Pathetique, but I like the second movement and absolutely love the third. [/b]
Define "hate". Do you really actually hate it? (It's a response I didn't expect to read to that particular sonata.) What do you so despise about it?

#423961 - 05/08/06 08:29 AM Re: Living Under a Rock!
Antonius Hamus Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I think I've been picking up some change going on in how people use the word 'hate' in certain language areas... I also think it's spreading fast... I wonder if something could be done about it?

#423962 - 05/08/06 09:11 AM Re: Living Under a Rock!
4000 Post Club Member

Hate is definitely a strong word, but I think "despise" is much stronger, IMHO.

I noticed in reading several biographies about Chopin that he "despised" so many things. In some cases, this word choice might have been the authors, but I've read it in so many books that I tend to think that Chopin himself must have used it often.

#423963 - 05/08/06 11:46 AM Re: Living Under a Rock!
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
 Quote:
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:
I noticed in reading several biographies about Chopin that he "despised" so many things. In some cases, this word choice might have been the authors, but I've read it in so many books that I tend to think that Chopin himself must have used it often. [/b]
Since, to my recollection, Chopin was not fluent in English, it may be doubtful that he used the word often, if at all. Chopin's despising something may have been, then, a translator's interpretation or equivalent.

Regards,
Writing from Paris until 15 May, 2014

#423964 - 05/08/06 12:17 PM Re: Living Under a Rock!
4000 Post Club Member

Yes, Bruce, I do now recall that Chopin didn't speak English---French, Polish (naturally), Greek or Latin, perhaps; but he did rely on translators for English.

I wonder why that word is so often used when translating his letters. Perhaps there is no exact Polish equivalent of the word. It would be nice to know that there are some languages that have no word for "hate."

I do recall reading that when his father wrote him, it was in French; however, he always responded in Polish.

#423965 - 05/08/06 03:36 PM Re: Living Under a Rock!
Antonius Hamus Offline
2000 Post Club Member

In one of their usages, both 'hate' and 'despise' signify "intense dislike".

In another sense, which is more closely related to the origin of the word, 'despise' is used with some added connotations that imply the existence of actual lowly characteristics in the object, or superior characteristics in the subject, in contrast with the simple statement of feeling made by employing the word 'hate'.

#423966 - 05/08/06 04:12 PM Re: Living Under a Rock!
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Antonius Hamus:
In another sense, which is more closely related to the origin of the word, 'despise' is used with some added connotations that imply the existence of actual lowly characteristics in the object, or superior characteristics in the subject, [/b]
As much as I love his music, the use of the word despise could then have very well been used by Chopin. He definitely felt superior to others and with good reason (one could argue).

Thank you for that very interesting semantics lesson.

#423967 - 05/08/06 06:56 PM Re: Living Under a Rock!
Skriabin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: li, new york
I put another vote for Gilels' pathetique.

It is the most beautiful recording of the work (especially the first movement).

#423968 - 01/06/08 04:58 AM Re: Living Under a Rock!
Goose68 Offline

Loc: USA
wow... I am so moved by Movement 1, Grave, that it boggles the mind that someone would hate it.

Just goes to show you how different peoples tastes and perception can be. None of them wrong, BTW. \:\)

#423969 - 01/06/08 05:38 AM Re: Living Under a Rock!
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
 Quote:
Originally posted by BruceD:
 Quote:
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:
I noticed in reading several biographies about Chopin that he "despised" so many things. In some cases, this word choice might have been the authors, but I've read it in so many books that I tend to think that Chopin himself must have used it often. [/b]
Since, to my recollection, Chopin was not fluent in English, it may be doubtful that he used the word often, if at all. Chopin's despising something may have been, then, a translator's interpretation or equivalent.

Regards, [/b]
French for "despise" is "mepriser" which stems from the same Old French root so it would be a natural translation from the French. As I've only read Chopin's French letters in English I've no idea whether he went about "meprising" many things or not, but I'm yet to come across much primary justification for the contention of many "scholars" that he disliked all his musical contemporaries, that he disliked Beethoven, Schumann etc. This seems to be no more than the opinion of an early biographer that has been repeatedly endlessly by others without much verification (much like Thomas More's creation of Richard III's hump - he didn't have one). Chopin is actually remarkably silent on the subject of music and composers in general, apparently perferring simply to do and to talk about other things.

#423970 - 01/06/08 06:02 AM Re: Living Under a Rock!
C H O P I N Offline

Loc: England
The maria joao pires recording of the pathetique isn't bad, but I think she plays the second movement a little to fast...

Also, the quality of the recording I got wasn't fantastic, which was a shame.

C H O P I N

#423971 - 01/06/08 08:39 AM Re: Living Under a Rock!
PoStTeNeBrAsLuX Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Geneva, Switzerland
-Frycek:
French for "despise" is "mepiser" [/b](sic) which stems from the same Old French root so it would be a natural translation from the French.[/b]

M├ępriser does indeed mean to regard something with scorn, contempt or disdain and generally not worthy of attention, rather than actually to 'hate' something, which is the usual understanding of the English word 'despise' in modern common usage. The closest French equivalent for 'hate' would be IMO be d├ętester or perhaps avoir horreur de...

Hmm, yet another ancient thread brought back from the dead...

-Michael B.
There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.

#423972 - 01/06/08 09:12 AM Re: Living Under a Rock!
GlennGouldGirl Offline

Loc: Granby,MA
I am so fond of threads that diverge into semantic debates!

#423973 - 01/06/08 12:44 PM Re: Living Under a Rock!
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
...and a rather old thread!

#423974 - 01/06/08 01:45 PM Re: Living Under a Rock!
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Moderators should charge all members who revive old, exhausted and totally dead threads $1.00 to be contributed to PW and charge those who contribute nothing of worth to the revived thread $.10

Here's my $.10 \:D

Cheers!
Writing from Paris until 15 May, 2014

#423975 - 01/06/08 02:10 PM Re: Living Under a Rock!
C H O P I N Offline

Loc: England
Ah, I'm in the bad habit of assuming that the threads at the top of the board are new.... Didn't realize this thread was ancient \:D

C H O P I N

PS - I didn't revive it though

$ 10

#423976 - 01/06/08 02:13 PM Re: Living Under a Rock!
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
BruceD,Hi!

Now, I'm of the thought that all those old threads were interesting to read in the archives, and I did that taking several months of spare time. I found it interesting reading - maybe even timeless reading. I wouldn't admonish any one from opening an old thread, some of us are new, therefore the postings are new and often relevant to us.

It's the "goofy" postings I have a low toleration point for and when the information from a poster is constantly and totally incorrect and being passed on as information to unsuspecting people, I seethe. See me seething

The fine on "goofy" should be $ to PWF for every person who was misled by it. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the therapy here - I got it out of my system.

How much do I owe?

Betty

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
155 registered (alfredo capurso, Almaviva, accordeur, Akshay, 46 invisible), 1547 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153614 Topics
2251398 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
04/20/14 07:14 PM
Worth buying a new digital piano as a controller?
by slickvguy
04/20/14 05:49 PM
Video clip for classical music?
by Nikolas
04/20/14 05:43 PM
Home speakers for RD700NX: need help!
by PoleStar
04/20/14 05:32 PM
stuff fell through the Kawai K8 fallboard, into the piano
by akita
04/20/14 03:12 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission