Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
155 registered (accordeur, Alan Cyr, 47 invisible), 1863 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Forum Stats
76993 Members
42 Forums
159247 Topics
2339334 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Topic Options
#424055 - 01/13/02 11:50 PM Practice and fingers
SnowSky Offline

Hi,
Couple questions about piano practice, hope you guys can help me!
1. How do you practice a new piece? I always start slow until I can play all the notes correctly. Then do you add all the emotions at this time then increase the speed or other way around?
2. I found my little finger sometimes "curved" while I am playing scales. I don't feel my fingers tight and some people said that I don't have to worry about that. However, the other people said that it may affect my play in the long run. My question is, is it a serious problem? If it is, how to correct it?

Thanks everyone! It is a fantastic place!

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#424056 - 01/14/02 12:48 AM Re: Practice and fingers
aznxk3vi17 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Johns Hopkins University
Well, the way I practice, I start slowly as well. However, I try to play as accurately to the music as I can, which means, the emotions, dynamics, accents, etc. are played on the first reading. Speed comes last. However, some passages don't work well slow compared to fast, because it works a different part of your brain. On certain passages, you may have to practice slightly faster than you find comfortable.

I'm not sure about your curved finger. I have a double jointed fifth finger, so I can't say if it's good or not, because I have problems of my own I need to compensate for.

What piece is it? Just curious! \:\)

#424057 - 01/14/02 12:48 AM Re: Practice and fingers
Rodion Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City
there are a million different ways to learn a new piece, regarding everything from learning the notes to how or when you incorporate your musicality. i think it's a good idea to at least try and make yourself aware of the musical ideas and phrases while learning, if not actually bringing them out yet.

how you curve your fingers can depend on many things, personal preference, the style of the music, the technical aspects, etc...but when you play scales i think basically you want to keep a curve...especially on that first joint (from the tip) in each finger, you want to make sure it's bent when you press on the keys, and that it doesn't sort of collapse under the pressure. are you trying to play with flat fingers or something?

#424058 - 01/14/02 01:13 AM Re: Practice and fingers
.rvaga* Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Anyone that asks how to practice will end up going a long way in learning to play very well, in my opinion. The fact that you are open to advice shows that you have given this thought, which already puts you ahead of many that stumble along!

I'm reminded of that story about Liszt, whose student asked him which fingering to use in a difficult passage. He looked at both options, and told her "master both, then choose." Well, if we all had 10 hrs. a day, maybe the advice would still be great. But, you need to do the next best thing: try everything that everyone suggests, give it time and try to understand the underlying concepts, and in time, choose what works best for yourself. Everyone is a bit different. But, there are some similarities, and you've hit on the most important: Yes, start with very slow practice, incorporating everything. Don't add emotions later, put all expression in, always. Practice slow, and. . . think! What are the notes, why the fingering, what's the harmony, think of rotation to voice to the top, balance between hands and within the hand, wrist movement, technical issues, etc. When you speed up over time, you won't have time to think these things, but they will be firmly implanted in your conscious and subconscious mind. Some of the concepts you need to always keep at the forefront of your mind, so that you can call on these to help you when necessary. For example, have you ever played wonderfully at home, then gone somewhere, sat down, and wondered why your playing sounded horrible, and you tell everyone "gee, I play it great at home!"

As for your second issue, it may not mean a thing. Horowitz was told that his curved fifth finger was incorrect, and that he would never be able to play well. I wonder if he ever went back to that teacher, and got his money back?

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Plate crack
by Chris Leslie
11/21/14 03:14 PM
Garritan Abbey Road CFX on sale for $199 ($100 off...)
by bfb
11/21/14 02:17 PM
Inside out piano
by spanishbuddha
11/21/14 02:01 PM
Five Pianos and One Decision
by Batuhan
11/21/14 01:25 PM
Music on iPad
by Oklabecca
11/21/14 12:50 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission