Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#424177 - 08/20/01 03:05 AM Piano Solo vs. Orchastra etc.
Happy Birthday jgoo Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, Washington, USA
Hi. When I listen to classical music (which is all the time) I prefer piano solos over an orchastra piece like a symphony, or even a piano concerto. Although it can be very beautiful music, I beleive that the sound of the other instruments playing takes away from the piano. I like pure piano a lot better. What are your opinions?

[ August 20, 2001: Message edited by: jgoo ]

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#424178 - 08/20/01 09:10 AM Re: Piano Solo vs. Orchastra etc.
ZeldaHanson Offline

Loc: Cape Cod, MA, USA
I used to like strictly piano solos also. But after I started to listen to Bach's Piano Concerto's and more of Beethoven's I dismissed the idea that I could only enjoy piano.

You'd probably like pieces like Beethoven's Concerto No 4 where the orchestra and the piano take turns. I forget which movment it is, but it's an off and on thing between the piano and the orchestra. It's as if the orchestra and piano are conversing with each other sharing ideas and thoughts rather than speaking at the same time battling to be heard more than the other.

Also good works that don't involve the piano are Vivaldi's Seasons pieces. He made Violin concertos for each season. You should check out his violin concerto in G minor, summer, if you haven't heard it already.

But still, even though I do enjoy the other forms also...like you I prefer over them all, a piano sonata or piece. =0)

Zeldah

The problem begins when one forgets the artificiality of it all, when one neglects to pay homage to those designations that to our minds-to our reflect senses, perhaps-make of music an analyzable commodity. The trouble begins when we start to become so impressed by the strategies of ours systematized thought that we forget that it does relate to an obverse, that it is hewn from negation, that it is but a very small security against the void of negation which surrounds it.

#424179 - 08/20/01 12:24 PM Re: Piano Solo vs. Orchastra etc.
Amy Offline

Loc: Upstate New York
I enjoy solo piano, concertos, and orchestral music. If I had to choose one, i'd pick solo piano but I do listen to the others as well.

#424180 - 08/20/01 12:31 PM Re: Piano Solo vs. Orchastra etc.
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
When I listen to classical music, which is almost all the time, I listen to almost every genre of classical music and enjoy it all equally: solo instrumental (including piano, of course), orchestral, chamber, vocal, opera, choral and it all - each as much as the next - has its place in helping me understand what music is all about and in helping me become a well-rounded and, I hope, a well-educated person, musically. Moreover, it all satisfies various parts of my musical appetites, and my world would be much diminished if I had to eliminate any from my on-going listening experiences.

I have not yet moved into the realm of rock and punk, but there's time; I'm not dead, yet, I don't think!

Regards,

#424181 - 08/20/01 01:03 PM Re: Piano Solo vs. Orchastra etc.
Susan Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
jgoo, try some 'piano trios' (I love Beethoven's). You still get the full piano performance, but with a cello and violin...not a full orchestra, and each of the three instruments can be enjoyed for their own brilliance. And Beethoven's are so passionate and exciting In my humble opinion, of course \:D

Susan

#424182 - 08/20/01 02:04 PM Re: Piano Solo vs. Orchastra etc.
ChemicalGrl Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Durham, North Carolina
For me, it depends what kind of mood I'm in. Of late, I've been listening to a lot of choral music, but then that's because we've been working on a lot of interesting stuff, and I enjoy the music more, especially after having performed it. Lately, I've been feeding myself a steady stream of Rutter's Requiem, as conducted by Rutter himself (the next big project). I'm pretty sure I'll be tiring of that soon, and besides, once we start learning it, I won't be listening to it that much (although it is nice to get the interpretation from the fellow who wrote the whole thing in the first place).

#424183 - 08/20/01 05:16 PM Re: Piano Solo vs. Orchastra etc.
Happy Birthday jgoo Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, Washington, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by ZeldaHanson:
You'd probably like pieces like Beethoven's Concerto No 4 where the orchestra and the piano take turns. I forget which movment it is, but it's an off and on thing between the piano and the orchestra. It's as if the orchestra and piano are conversing with each other sharing ideas and thoughts rather than speaking at the same time battling to be heard more than the other.[/b]

I think that you mean Beethoven's piano concerto #5 "Emperor"? The third movement has the whole back and forth thing. I have it on a CD recorded by Arthur Rubinstein. ("Piano Greatest Hits" its a great CD). All of the phrases are played by one (orchestra or piano) and then repeated by the other in a "joyous game of tag" as written on the CD cover. I do like concertos, just not as much as solo piano. As I said before, the other instruments take away from the piano.

[ August 20, 2001: Message edited by: jgoo ]

#424184 - 08/20/01 05:41 PM Re: Piano Solo vs. Orchastra etc.
meltone1 Offline

Loc: Wichita KS
I really like Beethoven's "Kreutzer" sonata for violin and piano.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
148 registered (accordeur, ando, antony, Akshay, 36251, 46 invisible), 1717 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74217 Members
42 Forums
153529 Topics
2249943 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Why 88 keys?
by gsmonks
04/17/14 03:01 PM
Casio AP range advice please
by thamajor7
04/17/14 01:38 PM
Installing plain wire: no twists involved
by A443
04/17/14 01:12 PM
Disney - Mulan - Reflection (arr. by K. Landry)
by Gi Dy
04/17/14 12:32 PM
A good introduction to history of French classical music?
by BWV 846
04/17/14 10:50 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission