Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
78 registered (augustm, anotherscott, Arabesque, Anne H, AndrewJCW, 17 invisible), 1009 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Topic Options
#424785 - 03/09/06 12:35 AM Liszt's Grande etudes and transcendental after paganini!!!!
ChopinLives81 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
I bought both cd's of leslie howard playing the complete Etudes by liszt including the 1837 grande etudes and the earlier trancendental etudes after Paganini. All i can say is WOW!!!. These pieces are really something else. the shear difficulty is clear and I can understand why no one would dare take a crack at them. I also have the sheet music to follow along. Its also interesting to see how different the first version of La Campanella is compared to the final version.

As for Leslie Howard, he gives a valiant performance. It could be better, but what more can you ask of a guy who's taken the time to do what no one else has done. I'm pleased with the performacnes, but overlly satisfied with the new view on these etudes.

Check my videos @:
http://www.youtube.com/user/chopinlives81

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
#424786 - 03/09/06 12:58 AM Re: Liszt's Grande etudes and transcendental after paganini!!!!
Appassionata Sonata Offline

As for Leslie Howard, he gives a valiant performance. It could be better, but what more can you ask of a guy who's taken the time to do what no one else has done.

There are no more recordings of these?

#424787 - 03/09/06 01:35 AM Re: Liszt's Grande etudes and transcendental after paganini!!!!
ChopinLives81 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Appassionata Sonata:
As for Leslie Howard, he gives a valiant performance. It could be better, but what more can you ask of a guy who's taken the time to do what no one else has done.

There are no more recordings of these? [/b]
To my knowledge no....As far as i'm concerned, no other pianist has ever recorded, let alone played/performed the Grande Etudes, or the First set of the Paganini etudes. Today we only hear the final versions of Liszt's etudes.

Check my videos @:

#424788 - 03/09/06 04:34 AM Re: Liszt's Grande etudes and transcendental after paganini!!!!
Antonius Hamus Offline
2000 Post Club Member

A few pianists *have* recorded one or two of the earlier etudes, but that's all I'm aware of, apart from Howard's recordings (and possibly some woman's, I would recall, who reportedly didn't manage very well at all; and I can't recall whether it was the Paganini Etudes or the Grande Etudes)...

I'm still waiting/hoping Naxos to find some pianist to record the 1837 Grande Etudes for their series of complete piano music of Liszt...

BTW, here's a somewhat relevant and interesting quote from the preface of the Urtext edition of Liszt's final version of the Transcendental Etudes (the preface was written in 2004):

"It was not the object of this second large-scale revision to introduce fundamental compositional changes altering the overall character of the music, although Liszt managed to polish most of the pieces to such an extent that lenghty sections and even entire pieces (nos. 4 and 10) had to be written out afresh. Generally, besides a good many cuts, and in one case an expansion of the form, his reworking involved the piano writing in the interest of obtaining a more subtle and refined sonority and ease of execution. Difficulties for their own sake were expunged, and the style of notation was again simplified so that, for instance, most of his special rubato signs disappeared.
"(...) This third version represents a culmination point in nineteenth-century piano music, not only in the genre of the etude but also as a musical cycle. Liszt regarded it as definitive and never again attempted to revise it."

#424789 - 03/09/06 01:54 PM Re: Liszt's Grande etudes and transcendental after paganini!!!!
Goldberg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: U.S.
I have an incredibly beautiful live recital recording of Nikolai Petrov playing the first edition of the Paganini etudes, along with the similarly underplayed (and virtually unknown, it seems) Schumann Paganini Etudes (both opuses, I believe, although my CD is unfortunately damaged and I haven't managed to get it replaced yet), the Brahms-Paganini variations, and a contemporary piece based on the 24th Caprice whose composer I can't recall (might be Finissy, or however you spell it). I've also heard Howard's recording and I must say, Petrov's is infinitely removed from Howard's in its pianistic excellence (incidentally, I also must say in Howard's defence that his recording of the Douze Grandes Etudes is amazing).

Janice Weber MIGHT have also recorded the early Paganini etudes (Antonius mentioned a woman), but I'm not sure about that. If I remember correctly, she is known as the first person to have recorded the Douze Grandes Etudes (don't quote me on the "first" part; I know she plays them extremely well). In fact, if you're interested in the Grandes Etudes as well (the second version of what became the Transcendental Etudes) there's a rare video of Alexander Paley playing them in a live recital...that's pretty cool too, if you can imagine.

Finally, are you familiar with the...pardon the butchering of this name...Grand Fantasie de Bravoura sur themes l'Campanella (the name is terribly off, I know)? It's one of Liszt's earliest published attempts at writing Paganini themes for piano, and is of course the first in the series of La Campanella transformations. However, at about 17 minutes, it is at least twice as long as it should be, including the fairly inventive (imo) introduction section. Still, it's a fascinating look at Liszt's technical and compositional development, I think, especially if you compare it to the later Etude versions of La Campanella. My personal favorite is the 2nd version in Ab minor, though.

Actually, on the whole, I find that I prefer the Grand Paganini Etudes to the Transcendental Paganini Etudes, whereas in the case of the Transcendental Etudes, I prefer the popular revisions to the Douze Grandes Etudes, whose additional and unnecessary difficulties often get too much in the way of the music to make it enjoyable...that hardly seems to be the problem for the first set of the Paganini Etudes.

#424790 - 03/09/06 03:25 PM Re: Liszt's Grande etudes and transcendental after paganini!!!!
ChopinLives81 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Goldberg i am indeed familiar with the Grande Fantaisie di Bravura sur la Clochette de Paganini. I have the sheet music for it and have wanted to play it for a long time now.

Do you know where i can find that video of Paley?

Check my videos @:

#424791 - 03/10/06 05:21 PM Re: Liszt's Grande etudes and transcendental after paganini!!!!
Contrapunctus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Whittier, California
Andre Watts recorded the later version of the Paganini etudes. Very good, but a little too much pedal. I don't know why more people haven't recorded #5. It's my favorite. It's the classic Paganini theme song!

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad) Teaching Music To Children
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
PianoDisc
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Does a responsive touch mean more resistance at the bottom?
by DeadPoets
07/31/15 04:10 AM
Teaching Friends' Kids
by AZNpiano
07/31/15 03:57 AM
What These Markings Indicate?
by Batuhan
07/31/15 01:43 AM
visited Pianoworks this week
by terminaldegree
07/31/15 12:07 AM
Wish I Could Only Teach Students 10 Years and Older!
by Musicdude
07/30/15 10:42 PM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
80,201 Registered Members
44 Forums
165,880 Topics
2,431,536 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission