Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
111 registered (anamnesis, AZ_Astro, Achilleas, anotherscott, 30 invisible), 1448 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#426061 - 01/11/02 05:17 PM How To Compose Music
all thumb Offline

This may be one of the dumber questions. But I am quite new to music and have always been intrigued by it. How do you learn how to compose music, classically if that matters? Are there books on it, do you take course (I cant seem to find any) Is it a University course?? Is it osmosis?

Any insight or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#426062 - 01/11/02 06:31 PM Re: How To Compose Music
Praetorian_AD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: England
Yes, I think this is an excellent question. I'm taking music A-Level at my school and we are having to compose a theme and variations and a song based on a poem.(Any advice on those would be much appreciated, anyone!)

I've found the best way to compose is to come up with a main theme, create some kind of accompaniment to it (no matter how simple: it develops as you play/write) and then a couple of musical ideas or sequences to follow it using chordal developments, and perhaps a couple of variations on them/it. It helps to have a background in theory because you know what chords sound good to shift to.for instance, C sounds good if you shift to F or G, or its relative minor, a. I find the best way is to try and steal some of Beethoven or Haydn's structures (though not too much) and use their ideas to fuel mine. This may be incorrect, but I don't have too much musical experience either. Hope it helps.

#426063 - 01/11/02 09:01 PM Re: How To Compose Music
SethW Offline

How does one compose? ... the same way one paints or accomplishes anything else. You need to learn. Getting a degree in musical composition is not essential to composing. However, a degree ( it does not neccesarily mean a course in composition -- music theory, for instance) is probably neccesary to actually make something of quality, and it is definitely essential in order to create large orchestral pieces. Music composition is the route I took.

Creating music involves more than just learning the basic technicalities. An understanding of musical form is also neccesary. The thing that seperates music theory from music composition courses, in the latter stages atleast, is that music composition courses are less concerned about learning the *theory* of music; It's main focuse is how that theory is applied. An understanding of the structure of pieces as a whole is essential. Examining a sonata or symphony, for instance and seeing how the piece is constructed. This is a topic that could go on forever, thus ... I shall end it here.

#426064 - 01/12/02 10:13 AM Re: How To Compose Music
T2 Offline

I agree with SethW about learning your A-B-C's at the University. But the actual creative part doesn't always get taught too well in Universities. I don't know--maybe terminology and analysis is easier to grade.

The best experiences I have had are in working one-on-one with a teacher. They started me out with one structural element and had me create the rest. For example, my teacher would lay down a harmonic structure and have me write a harmonic rhythm, melody and orchestration. My teacher had me do this many times while each time supplying me a different element of music. This helps especially in overcoming the hump about getting started.

One of the methods I liked the best was to find your own voice by starting with a few words of somebody else. That may be a theme from a Bach fugue or a little transitional theme drawn from a sonata or an intro riff played by Art Tatum.

If you're looking for sources for melodic ideas I would suggest a book by Nicolas S. Slonymsky called "Thesarus of Scales and Melodic Patterns" in which he starts with an interval container and by introducing additional notes systematically maps out thousands of possible melodic variations. Forget about his needlessly complex terminology though. It is much easier to refer to a 'sequesti-quinquitone' as a 'minor 7th'. :rolleyes:

Once you get a draft out to your teacher it seems that what follows is an intense, sometimes withering, challenge to what you wrote. "Did you really mean that?" or "That doesn't really work." Depending on how hard you worked on it and how thick your skin is it can be a really difficult phase. But hopefully your teacher can also show you a way out of the corners you've painted yourself into. If they can't then you need another teacher.

I had one teacher in particular that was brilliant at generating variations off of my ideas. He would go through a score with a pen and seize on one idea and then create variations on it for 20 minutes--frequently with such clarity, beauty and honesty it nearly brought me to tears. Then I would go home and take hours to expand on one of his variations on my ideas. Then I would bring back the revised version and the whole process started again, back-and-forth it went. It was thrilling and it got me really pumped up to go home and take another crack at the piece.

I think the biggest hurdle I had to overcome was actually my own harsh criticism of my writing. I kept comparing my writing with great composers. While that may spur you to improve your playing it may also leave you with so little self-confidence that your productivity is crippled. Um, don't do that.

If I could leave you with any one piece of advice it would be: Keep writing. Don't worry about whether it's good or not. Just keep writing. The music will find you if you keep at it.

[ January 12, 2002: Message edited by: T2 ]

#426065 - 01/12/02 11:11 PM Re: How To Compose Music
SethW Offline

Those points are wisely said. The actual creative part of music needs to be cultivated and developed individually. But that is a topic all its own.

#426066 - 01/12/02 11:27 PM Re: How To Compose Music
jazzyd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: United Kingdom
Wow that was some post T2!

Quote:
Originally posted by T2:
I think the biggest hurdle I had to overcome was actually my own harsh criticism of my writing. I kept comparing my writing with great composers. While that may spur you to improve your playing it may also leave you with so little self-confidence that your productivity is crippled. Um, don't do that.

[/b]

Funny, but so true... :rolleyes:

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Saint-Saens 2nd concerto - best edition (fingering)?
by Barly
11/24/14 07:09 AM
Music reading apps for iPad that use mic
by Artur Gajewski
11/24/14 03:02 AM
About Roland's PHA4 STANDARD and F-130R
by Yussnan84
11/24/14 12:55 AM
Call me irresponsible....
by harpon
11/23/14 11:17 PM
Yamaha used U1/U3 or new B3?
by blackjack1777
11/23/14 10:41 PM
Forum Stats
77024 Members
42 Forums
159310 Topics
2340216 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission