Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
103 registered (Alexander Borro, Andrei Kuznetsov, A2mom, Albunea, accordeur, 25 invisible), 1329 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#429160 - 04/11/06 11:25 PM Wrist Issues
Plwatcher Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I recently have had a NEW PAIN in my right wrist. On the right side. Its the NUB on the right side? There is a pain whenever I even rotate my hand. Part of the problem I know, stems from twisting when I come down on scales and running passages. I do it naturally and have had the hardest time breaking the habit. I also have had my wrist up higher, which is new and the way it should have been in the first place.
Any methods or techniques to alleviate pain would be appreciated. I am going to try to lay of the practicing for a few days.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
#429161 - 04/12/06 01:02 AM Re: Wrist Issues
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
you probably need to have a teacher or expert of some kind to watch you play and check if there's something wrong with your movements over keyboard. pain is usually associated with bad habits or techniques. if playing correctly, there shouldn't be any pain ever! you might also check your elbow's position and see if it moves along and cooperate with your hand on scale/running passages. my teacher once showed me how his elbow turn outwards when he play RH upward scales. if you restrict some part of your body while moving only other parts, resulting in contra motion with 2 or more parts against each other, then pain or injury would happen... it's just my thought. but if you cannot see what's wrong with you playing movements, then you definitely need to get someone else watching you.

#429162 - 04/12/06 01:52 AM Re: Wrist Issues
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Sounds like, by "rotating," you mean "twisting," which will resonate the cause of your pain with a lot more people. But, without actually sitting there and watching, as signa said, it will be impossible to tell exactly what you're doing. (And even in watching, there is a necessary feedback because of how small the movements actually are....) ;\)
Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.

#429163 - 04/12/06 03:13 PM Re: Wrist Issues
gabytu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Or.
I have the same darn thing. It started a little over a week ago. My right wrist has developed a burning pain along the right outer edge extending half way up my arm. Don't know what caused it. Was told that as I was doing a lot of work at the computer using the mouse, that could be the cause. I doubt that it was caused by my playing the piano as I was not doing any pieces that put a strain on the wristm so it may well have been too much repetitive motion with the computer mouse.
However, now that I have developed this pain, playing the piano aggravates it, so rather than just stare at the keyboard, I am practicing just the left hand part of the music.
Hope this eases up, as it is painful. Gaby Tu

#429164 - 04/12/06 03:33 PM Re: Wrist Issues
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
if you take it easy and concentrate on some left hand work it will likely heal.. that's what i'm doing at the moment... just takes a few days usually

-apple, who has arthritic issues
accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, ├Ľun (apple in Estonian)

#429165 - 04/12/06 07:41 PM Re: Wrist Issues
Plwatcher Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I really appreciate all the advice. The pain has subsided briefly, but it is just pain in the right side of my wrist, near the bone on the right. I know, thats so specific! Anyway, I will see if I can record myself. It primarily happens when I am coming down a long running passage. My piano teacher, thinks I twist unecessarily and do not move my arm/elbow and thus have my fingers doing all sorts of weird things to hit notes that are right in front of me?

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving to all our members and guests from the U.S.!
(ad) Yamaha CP4 or CP40 Free Bag
Buy a CP4 or CP40 Get a Free Bag
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Wessell Nickel & Gross
Ad (the Piano Store)
the Piano Store - Restored Steinway Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Belated Birthday Orange Soda King!
by pianoloverus
11/26/15 04:13 PM
Special Thanks on this day to all the techs on PW
by chasingrainbows
11/26/15 04:05 PM
Disney Piano Songs
by Marie101
11/26/15 03:50 PM
Isolating notes for acapella singer
by Dru Morgan
11/26/15 03:44 PM
Happy Birthday Frank.
by Steve Cohen
11/26/15 01:37 PM
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
Forums Rules & Help
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Forum Stats
81,560 Registered Members
44 Forums
168,586 Topics
2,469,908 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission