2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (BillS728, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, Dfrankjazz, danno858, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 2,066 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Z
zongora Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
[img]http://publish.hometown.aol.com/gen...at%20lewissohn%20no.1.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US[/img]
This is a shot I took of the young Van Cliburn at a rehearsal in the Lewissohn Stadiun back on August 4, 1958. He had just returned from the Soviet Union and was at the height of his popularity. Tchaikowsky Concerto of course. That's Thomas Sherman sticking his head over conducting the New York Philharmonic.
A few notes about the Lewissohn Stadium for those who have never heard of the place.
It was an outdoor stadium and located on the campus of CCNY (City College of New York) at 139th Street and Convent Ave in upper Manhattan. It has long ago been demolished and replaced by additional campus buildings. Every summer they held outdoor concerts there with the greatest artists of the time performing. The general admission was 25 cents. Generally speaking the rehearsals weren't open to the public, but if you knew about them, you could find your way in by an entrance from the street in back of the stage. They used to post a college student inside as a guard, but if you got there before he did, you were in. After a while I got to know him and had no trouble. Anyway, I used to wear a raincoat and with cameras hanging all over me I guess he must have thought I was a press photographer.
There were also two large gates on each side of the stage for maintenance trucks to enter and every once in a while when one opened a student would come in. Most of the time no one bothered them except for one lousy bully maintenance guy who was always trying to show more authority than I think he had by kicking people out.
One time the famous violinist Michael Rabin came through that gate and that idiot started to holler at him and throw him out. When Rabin identified himself as the soloist for that evening, I thought that guy was going to have a heart attack. He couldn't stop bowing and apologizing enough. We all got a big kick out of that.
I could never figure it out. It seemed that once you were in, he didn't bother you , but if you tried to sneak in later, you got bounced out. One time a friend of mine that was attending CCNY came late and got kicked out three times by him at the same rehearsal. Boy, was he mad. Luckily, he never bothered me.
A word on Van Cliburn. He was a very obliging, gracious young man and let me photograph him whenever I wanted to during the entire rehearsal, even backstage and outside when he autographed for anyone who asked him.
[img]http://publish.hometown.aol.com/gen...at%20lewissohn%20no.2.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US[/img]
Very much unlike Oscar Levant and Heifetz who you couldn't get closer to than a couple hundred feet, forbidding any pictures. Levant was nowhere like he was in the movies. He was serious with no smiles or jokes, and he had a chair next to his piano bench with a coffee pot and cigarettes. I read he was a chain smoker and drank 40 cups of coffee every day. I believe it.
A lady photographer who also always attended regularly started to photograph him. He stopped her and was less than polite.
Heifetz was worse, but I guess you all know about that.
I'm sorry to this day that when I attended a few times I didn't have my camera. When I first started going there it wasn't exactly a very good one to say the least. I used to get there early before the guard. I missed shots of William Kapell and Simon Barere among others.
The latter was a very modest guy always smiling and joking with Mitropoulos. He also played the Tchailowsky concerto, but he had the habit of playing tooo fast with his tremendous technique.. At the end of the last movement of the concerto the orchestra couldn't keep up with him. But Mitropoulos let it pass and at the end everyone including Barere were laughing. They all seemed to have had a great time.
Kapell played the Rachmaninoff Rhapsody and even long after I left I could see him throught a side crack opening, rehearsing a passage over and over and over. Just a few years later came that awful plane crash.
Barere also went about the same time with that heart attack on the stage of Carnegie Hall.
One time when I there the famous singer and actress Jeanette MacDonald sat at the table near to mine. I didn't want to bother her figuring she would like her privacy. She wasn't preforming and was just a spectator like I.
Replies or comments anyone?
Thank you all.

By the way Apple, thanks for your warm reply to my last posting. Was waiting for things to cool down a bit.

Note:
These photographs are subject to copyright and must not be reproduced.
COPR.ZONGORA

T
T
Thanks for posting the great photos and telling us your anecdotes. It's always interesting to hear how great artists behave "offstage". I had the privilege of hearing Van Cliburn play twice at the National Music Camp in Interlochen, Michigan, back in '71 and '72. I played in the orchestra the second summer when he did the Rach 3rd. Afterwards there was a party for members of the orchestra. Van was very approachable and down-to-earth. Even though we were in awe of his reputation and accomplishments he really came across as a regular guy who happened to be a famous pianist. I'll never forget that experience. I guess with great artists you have all types, ones who are approachable and friendly, and others who are quite uptight and neurotic about interacting with "non-great" music lovers.

Will look forward to more of your interesting photos and stories!

Tavner
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Great photos! I love hearing stories about your experiences. Please do more! smile

Ah zongora!!

More wonderful photos! You have quite the photographers eye. And I love the interesting stories behind the photos. I'm looking forward to more. A million thanks!!

pdolce laugh

But, I played it perfectly at home!!
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks for sharing the photos and observations. I missed Van Cliburn two years ago when he gave a concert just two blocks up the street from me. Serves me right for never opening the newspaper.

O
O
All I can say is, Thank you too! Wonderful, wonderful photos and anecdotes. Please keep posting them, (one and all). Surely there are more folks who have had "insider" experiences with some of the great pianists or other artists.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission