Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#431233 - 01/22/02 02:51 PM "Malaguena", ouch my arms hurt.
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Evergreen State (WA)
OK, just for fun, since I already played the two piano duet to this piece, I decided to learn the solo (Ernesto Lecuona). I am having the most trouble with the octaves on page seven - where both hands play octaves and go screaming down the keyboard at ffz. I am varying the rhythm to work on playing it clean, but when I play it up to tempo,I can bearly get the big chord out at the end, without completely collapsing on the bench. Its like I'm too tense, or my arms and shoulders aren't in good enough shape, and I have completely worn the muscles out and have to shake my arms a little before I go on. What should I do? Lift weights? \:\) Jodi

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#431234 - 01/22/02 03:30 PM Re: "Malaguena", ouch my arms hurt.
Alex Hernandez Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
OK, just for fun, since I already played the two piano duet to this piece, I decided to learn the solo (Ernesto Lecuona). I am having the most trouble with the octaves on page seven - where both hands play octaves and go screaming down the keyboard at ffz. I am varying the rhythm to work on playing it clean, but when I play it up to tempo,I can bearly get the big chord out at the end, without completely collapsing on the bench. Its like I'm too tense, or my arms and shoulders aren't in good enough shape, and I have completely worn the muscles out and have to shake my arms a little before I go on. What should I do? Lift weights? \:\) Jodi[/b]

Hi Jodi you may already be doing this but if not perhaps this suggestion will help. Its important to relax your shoulders as much as possible thus allowing the arm to be more relaxed. If you tend to lean forward when you play and tense your arms up you are promoting the build up of lactic acid in your muscles and expending way to much energy. By letting the natural weight of your upper body produce the force for the strike and not soley relying on your musclature you will find that you can play much longer and with greater control. Also slightly tilt your pelvis forword while sitting at the bench and you will have better posture while not tensing your back muscles up. I hope it helps, see you around.

Bl├╝thner USA, LLC

#431235 - 01/22/02 04:34 PM Re: "Malaguena", ouch my arms hurt.
MacDuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast, U.S.A.
You have an artist bench, right? So, it might help to twiddle you knobs (to avoid shoulder shrugging). But, don't go crazy with twiddling!

#431236 - 01/22/02 04:39 PM Re: "Malaguena", ouch my arms hurt.
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Twiddle them up, or down? (the knobs) \:\) Jodi

#431237 - 01/22/02 04:53 PM Re: "Malaguena", ouch my arms hurt.
ryan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
I have found that sitting a little higher helps me prevent shoulder shrugging.

#431238 - 01/23/02 02:51 PM Re: "Malaguena", ouch my arms hurt.
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I have found that a good glass of Sangria before (and during) helps me play all the Latin composers better!

Nina

:rolleyes:

#431239 - 01/23/02 04:07 PM Re: "Malaguena", ouch my arms hurt.
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

"I have found that a good glass of Sangria before (and during) helps me play all the Latin composers better!"

Ha! Now there's a great idea! I did try raising the bench a little, that seems to help. \:\) Jodi

#431240 - 01/23/02 06:19 PM Re: "Malaguena", ouch my arms hurt.
MacDuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast, U.S.A.
Jodi,

Is the problem playing loud octaves or clean octaves (or both)? I find that it helps to practice just playing the passage using thumbs, with 5th fingers held relaxed (not stretched out in an octave).

Yes, I meant raise the bench. My tech altered the regulation of my piano last fall, and I spent about a month twiddling knobs only to end up back where I started. :rolleyes:

[ January 23, 2002: Message edited by: MacDuff ]

#431241 - 01/23/02 06:53 PM Re: "Malaguena", ouch my arms hurt.
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I will try the thumb thing. My problem is getting the whole thing clean when it's up to tempo. I have had some success with practicing it unevenly - that is playing it in groups of two, with the set of octaves in the group long, the second short (dotted eighth,sixtheenth, dotted eighth, sixteenth...?)and then switching it to short, long, short, long... That helps me with the jumps. (Did that make any sense?) Its better now than it was a couple of days ago, but tonight, my shoulders hurt. I guess I'm hunching... Jodi

#431242 - 01/23/02 08:15 PM Re: "Malaguena", ouch my arms hurt.
Rodion Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City
when trying to get double octaves with leaps down, i've found it helps to play into the keys at a very slow tempo. it might seem a bit obvious, but even when i was going slow i was playing a bit staccato on the octaves (the section i'm talking about isn't staccato or legato, but fast, so staccato sound comes out anyway). so i played them slowly imagining i was pressing down very deep keys, but also immediately relaxing after sinking to the bottom- pausing, then going to the next notes. it helped when playing it fast to use less energy and tense up less.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
My Kawai CA-95 does not record drum patterns
by SP6NIN
09/30/14 06:18 AM
page-turning for tablets
by Barly
09/30/14 04:02 AM
Vertegrand pressure bar loosening
by Chris Leslie
09/30/14 03:47 AM
The Godfather movie theme
by Danijelcro
09/30/14 02:30 AM
taking lessons on a very heavy grand. is it time to upgrade?
by littlebirdblue
09/30/14 02:28 AM
Who's Online
75 registered (barbaram, Alux, bennevis, aesop, Al LaPorte, 14 invisible), 1043 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76370 Members
42 Forums
157879 Topics
2318694 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission