2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,179 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
I have been playing piano for a long time, but admittedly my theory is lacking I cannot for the life of me figure out how to play these excerpts.

The first one is in half-common time (2/2 I guess) and the second is in 3/2. I just don't know where the right hand chords are supposed to line up with the left-hand notes. Shouldn't a right-hand eighth note have the same value as a left-hand eighth note? How can you have eight beats in the right hand but 12 in the left in 2/2 time? I don't know. I'm just very confused...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
The right hand is playing four notes per beat and the left hand six.

Semipro Tech
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
The tricky bit here is 3 against 2 -- do you know what I mean by that?

Every beat is divided in 3 notes for the left hand and at the same time only 2 notes for the right hand. The left hand triplets aren't marked as triplets, per se, but that's exactly what they are.

The good news is, you only have to deal with that 3 against 2 on the 1st and 3rd beats. Whenever you have a quarter note in the right hand, just play the triplet underneath as normal.

Sam
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by BDB:
The right hand is playing four notes per beat and the left hand six.
Didn't see your post before mine... there is of course a difference in feel between 2 against 3 and 4 against 6, and you're right that the latter is more 'correct'. It's a matter of preference which one is easier.

Sam
OP Offline
Ok, so it's sort of a Fantaisie-Impromptu type thing where the right hand plays slightly faster than the left. So can I rely on the note positioning to help me stay on beat, as in where the left and right hand notes line up perfectly occasionally? It looks pretty hard to stay perfectly at tempo in both hands, unless I grab a calculator and figure out precisely where each note fits and use a ruler to draw a line...

Thanks again for the help.

OMG good luck smirk

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Deus ex Pianoforte:
Ok, so it's sort of a Fantaisie-Impromptu type thing where the right hand plays slightly faster than the left. So can I rely on the note positioning to help me stay on beat, as in where the left and right hand notes line up perfectly occasionally? It looks pretty hard to stay perfectly at tempo in both hands, unless I grab a calculator and figure out precisely where each note fits and use a ruler to draw a line...

Thanks again for the help.
Your hands play together at the beginning of every quarter note beat.

Someone here once described 2-against-3 as a "triplet inside of a triplet"... kind of a neat description. First you play both hands together, and then you pause, and then you play a triplet (first and third note in the left hand, middle note in the right hand), then you pause, and then that's it... start the next one.

Sam
F
F
This is the ossia to the Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 3 cadenza. Not your average stroll in the park.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
It's really 4-against-6, but I'd practice it slowly as 2-against-3. Not too confusing...

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
It looks pretty hard to stay perfectly at tempo in both hands, unless I grab a calculator and figure out precisely where each note fits and use a ruler to draw a line...

Sometimes it does help to mark on the page where the notes line up. You need to keep the rhythm as 4-against-6 throughout.

Mary

Music should strike fire from the heart of man, and bring tears from the eyes of woman. -- Beethoven

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission