Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#433211 - 01/11/09 08:01 PM Discovering New Composers
akonow Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I would like to broaden my musical horizons so I was wondering if there are any obscure composers anyone would recommend for someone who adores Alkan, Brahms, Chopin, Debussy, Elgar, Faure, Liszt, Mendelssohn, Mozart, Paganini, Prokofiev, Rachmaninoff, Ravel, Saint-Saens, Satie, Scarlatti, Scharwenka, Schubert, Schumann, Scriabin, and Von Weber (or even obscure works by the above composers). ;\)

Thanks.
Schumann - Fantasiestücke Op 12

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#433212 - 01/11/09 08:05 PM Re: Discovering New Composers
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Bortkiewicz is one I've discovered thanks to Thracozaag. (Thanks!!!!)

Highly recommended. ;\)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui5RxiKKhRo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S27nqf583x4

#433213 - 01/11/09 08:11 PM Re: Discovering New Composers
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

You would love Raff. I discovered him by accident.

Here's his concerto:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6Fwc2ws6Nk&feature=PlayList&p=B7F5E2FF0671C939&index=0&playnext=1

Matt

#433214 - 01/11/09 08:17 PM Re: Discovering New Composers
Thracozaag Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Salt Lake City
Felix Blumenfeld, Sergei Liapunov, Anatol Liadov, Pancho Vladigerov, Henryk Pachulski, Georgy Catoire, Vladimir Rebikov, Eugene D'Albert, Benjamin Godard, Ignaz Friedman, Carl Preyer, Alexander Krein.....

The repertoire is so vast, it's practically endless.

http://www.youtube.com/kojiattwood
https://www.giftedmusicschool.org/

#433215 - 01/11/09 08:31 PM Re: Discovering New Composers
Cheeto717 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Manuel M. Ponce. He is, in essence, the Mexican Chopin. He used a huge amount of Mexican folk tunes and turned them into classical pieces.

Here is the first movement of his piano concerto

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjvOcL7KF1E

You can find the other movements on there as well if you like the first.

I recently performed his Balada Mexicana which received a great reaction from the audience. In fact, several people told me it was as beautiful, if not more, than the Chopin ballades. Unfortunately there's no recording of it on youtube.
Brahms: Op. 120
Chopin: Op. 10

#433216 - 01/11/09 09:33 PM Re: Discovering New Composers
akonow Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks a lot, guys. I'll make time to listen to all these composers. I've listened to some Bortkiewicz, Liapunov, and Ponce so far.

#433217 - 01/11/09 09:56 PM Re: Discovering New Composers
Ridicolosamente Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Miami, Florida, USA
I never thought of him as "obscure" but Granados is great!

#433218 - 01/11/09 10:38 PM Re: Discovering New Composers
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City

#433219 - 01/11/09 10:59 PM Re: Discovering New Composers
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Joseph Achron (1886-1943) is amazing. Definitely check out his Symphonic Variations and Sonata , and also his Dream, Op. 56 No. 1 . His violin music is really great, especially the "Dance Improvisation" , "Hebrew Dance" , and "Scher". All of this has been recorded by Jascha Nemtsov (pianist) and Ingolf Turban (violin). He also wrote some amazing songs: the unpublished "In a kleiner shtibele" and "A kapelle kontertisten" have been recorded by Helene Schneidermann, "Mir sogn der baleboste" by Louis Danto, and I wish there were a recording of "Acharon" , but alas, I suppose that will have to wait...

His "Children's Suite" is very cute -- 20 short pieces about childhood. It's originally for piano, and Jascha Nemtsov recorded 5 or 6 movements of it... but in 1925, Achron orchestrated the whole thing for clarinet, string quartet, and piano, which Nemtsov has also recorded...

Other obscure composers that were very good: Moses Milner ( "In Chejder" for voice and piano ), Alexander Krein (10 Dances Op. 50 for solo piano were recorded by Nemtsov), Mikhail Gnessin ( 4-hand variations and "Song of the Wandering Knight" for cello or violin and piano ), Solomon Rosowsky ( Fantastic Dance for Piano Trio , "Poem" for solo piano ), Lazare Saminsky ( "Little Esther\'s Song" ), Joel Engel ( "5 Piano Pieces Op. 19" ). Ephraim Schkljar's song "Farn Obscheid" is very good. I don't really know much of Jacob Weinberg's music, or Ilya Aisberg or Samuel Alman, but you can find some of their piano music (and a bunch of songs and violin music) at this website:

Russian-Jewish composers

#433220 - 01/11/09 11:13 PM Re: Discovering New Composers
soccer_daemon Offline

Wow, Bortkiewicz musics are great! I need to look into this composer more!

#433221 - 01/11/09 11:27 PM Re: Discovering New Composers
Goldberg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: U.S.
A few more for the list. I'm never sure anymore who's "obscure" or not, but these are some of my favorites and it'd be great to share the names for anyone interested:

Stevenson, Mosolov, Protopopov, Roslavets, Reubke, Busoni (apart from his Concerto, which everyone knows these days), Weissenberg, Kapustin, Bolcom, Gorecki, Yeddida, Sorabji (he wrote more than just the Opus Clavicemablisticum; I recommend his Transcendental Etudes even to Sorabji-haters), Godowsky (again, not just the Chopin studies--try his Java Suite, Sonata, Passacaglia, and his waltzes, not to mention some of his other gorgeous transcriptions), Wolpe, Reger (hit-and-miss, but some wonderful stuff), Rzewski, Finnissy, Barrett, Fox, Bussotti, Boulez, Bernstein (it's easy to forget he was an excellent composer as well), Franck (not obscure, although most of his music is), Liszt (ditto--only an extremely small portion of his music is ever played), Messiaen, and Ligeti.

There are hundreds and hundreds of composers worth listening to, and it's a shame that so many performers are content to just stick with the same old pieces, great as they are. I do understand too that it's an issue of what audiences will pay to listen to, but let's not open that can of worms again.

#433222 - 01/11/09 11:39 PM Re: Discovering New Composers
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA
In case you've overlooked Hummel, here's one of his best piano concertos, Op. 85 in a minor—an unqualified masterpiece:

Allegro moderato (part 1): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPrM4mpeqYQ

Allegro moderato (part 2): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlLdv1azneU

Larghetto: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YibWSFkGm14

Rondo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaZPk9EDoxc

Steven

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
—Albert Schweitzer

Chopin: Allegro de Concert Op. 46
Schumann: Toccata Op. 7
Fauré: Ballade Op. 19

#433223 - 01/12/09 01:11 AM Re: Discovering New Composers
akonow Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks again for the many suggestions. I'll have to remember to look into all of these composers when I have time. In the mean time, I made a discovery on my own: Moscheles. I had a CD of Romantic etudes lying around and I started listening to them and I was pleasantly surprised by the charm and originality to the point that I've been thinking of starting a piece of his. Does anyone have any recommendations?

#433224 - 01/12/09 02:34 AM Re: Discovering New Composers
William A.P.M. Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ecuador
Wow Goldberg , you read my mind. Although I must say it takes quite a while to explore just 1 composer in semi-depth, enough to familiarize yourself with their musical style and works. To your long list, I would like to highlight Roslavets. His violin sonatas are musical gems.

As for Liszt, it's very true that a very small portion of his music gets played. Everytime I went for a Liszt cd, I kept seeing the same pieces over and over, until Howard blessed the CD industry. xD

oh please check out Villa-Lobos as well.. he has 5 Piano Concertos .. and 2 Prole do Bebe Suites, not 1 ..

Check out Scelsi's 11 Piano Suites... and Sciarrino's 5 Piano Sonatas ...

too much to name ...

#433225 - 01/13/09 02:54 AM Re: Discovering New Composers
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by akonow:
Thanks again for the many suggestions. I'll have to remember to look into all of these composers when I have time. In the mean time, I made a discovery on my own: Moscheles. I had a CD of Romantic etudes lying around and I started listening to them and I was pleasantly surprised by the charm and originality to the point that I've been thinking of starting a piece of his. Does anyone have any recommendations? [/b]
I've been a fan of Moscheles for a long time, ever since I heard an old Ponti LP of a concerto and a handful of etudes, back in the Dark Ages. Anyway, a couple of recommendations - the Gigue, op. 58 is a lot of fun in a neo-classical sort of way, and it is musically trickier than it appears on the surface. I've been enjoying working on one of his op. 51 pieces - it's no. 2, titled "La Leggerezz" - it's a witty scherzo and quite difficult at the suggested MM marking (which I am no where near approaching). Although it's not called an etude, it works well as one in finger dexterity and lightness of touch.

#2051072 - 03/19/13 09:48 PM Re: Discovering New Composers [Re: Thracozaag]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: northern California
Originally Posted By: Thracozaag
Felix Blumenfeld, Sergei Liapunov, Anatol Liadov, Pancho Vladigerov, Henryk Pachulski, Georgy Catoire, Vladimir Rebikov, Eugene D'Albert, Benjamin Godard, Ignaz Friedman, Carl Preyer, Alexander Krein.....

The repertoire is so vast, it's practically endless.

Finally got the search box to work for me....digging up an old thread here. Does anyone know how to get a hold of music written by Carl Preyer? Only one piece of his on IMSLP and it's not printable. Any other source we can go to for music that's out of print? Thank you!

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
92 registered (AimeeO, AndrewJCW, 29 invisible), 1362 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75509 Members
42 Forums
156146 Topics
2293051 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Youtube! :)
by PianoPlayer98
58 minutes 27 seconds ago
Headphones Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear
by khopin
Today at 12:54 AM
How struts define pitch variation between tunings
by Bosendorff
Yesterday at 11:40 PM
Pianist Noah Landis - Lowell, MA Sept. 6th
by Piano World
Yesterday at 06:09 PM
Guidance for Publishing
by Dachshund
Yesterday at 06:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission