Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#434829 - 04/14/05 09:05 AM Your favorite pianist who isn't a professional yet
Mikester Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Minneesooota
Name your favorite pianist who is not yet in the professional scene. This may be a pianist who has done well in competitions or who impressed you in person. Could be a youngster or a college graduate.

For me, a few names come to mind:
Anton Salnikov (amazing Liszt)
Balázs Szokolay (novel Brahms interpretation)
Alexey Koltakov (plays like Lang Lang, very virtuosic)
Mei Ting Sun (I like his attitude towards music)

Not sure if Mei Ting is already a professional.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#434830 - 04/14/05 09:24 AM Re: Your favorite pianist who isn't a professional yet
andrewp Offline

Loc: united kingdom
Hasn't Szokolay been around for a while on th teaching and rectial circuit? At any rate, there are loads of recordings. I have a Scarlatti disc done for Naxos which I bought many years ago. Haven't heard it for a while, but I have always enjoyed listening to it.

#434831 - 04/14/05 09:28 AM Re: Your favorite pianist who isn't a professional yet
Mikester Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Oh, cool, I learn something new all the time \:\) Actually I saw his name in the list of contestants on this year's Sviatoslav Richter International Piano Competition so I (incorrectly) figured he might still be in the competition circuit.

#434832 - 04/14/05 10:15 AM Re: Your favorite pianist who isn't a professional yet
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
i don't think i know enough of those pianists to pick any favourites, including Meiting Sun whoes Hammerclavier wasn't my favourite interpretation after all despite his fantastic technique playing it.

i just read an article about competitiors in the incoming Cleveland international piano competition (see article copied below), and i saw many familar names from the same competitions 2 years ago (or even in some other competitions), and wonder some of them might be somebody's favourite.

Quote:
Jurors select competition's 35 pianists
Wednesday, April 13, 2005
Donald Rosenberg
Plain Dealer Music Critic

Paul Schenly sounded pooped the other day, which may be understandable. The artistic director of the Cleveland International Piano Competition and two colleagues had just finished four days in front of 143 videos of competition applicants.

But Schenly also sounded euphoric.

"In my experience at any competition, this is the strongest contestant pool I've ever heard," he said.

After watching the videos, the screening jury chose the 35 pianists who will take part in the next Cleveland competition, set for Wednesday, July 27, through Sunday, Aug. 7, at the Cleveland Play House and Severance Hall. The contestants will vie for major awards, including a $50,000 first prize and the opportunity to perform in the finals with the Cleveland Orchestra.

The pianists - 11 women and 24 men - hail from 17 countries: China (seven), the United States (five), Russia (four), Japan (three), Bulgaria (two), France (two), South Korea (two), Australia, Germany, Hungary, Israel, Italy, Serbia, Sweden, Ukraine, Lithuania and Latvia.

The competition's new screening process began with 243 hopefuls from 43 countries. After viewing applications, competition officials invited 143 pianists to tape videos in Cleveland, Akron, New York, Tokyo, Munich or London.

Cleveland Orchestra violinist Mark Dumm, videographer of the Cleveland International Piano Competition in recent years, traveled to each city over two weeks to make the videos under controlled recording conditions. Previously, the screening committee heard audiotapes of varying quality.

About 30 applicants who couldn't travel to the audition cities for scheduling or financial reasons were allowed to submit their own videos.

Schenly, who heads the piano department at the Cleveland Institute of Music, shared video-viewing duties last weekend with James Giles, professor of piano at Northwestern University, and Lori Sims, professor of piano at Western Michigan University. The new screening system, however fatiguing, made choosing contestants easier, Schenly said.

"If we had to go from place to place, we would have suffered jet lag and other things," he said. "We probably would have had to hear each person longer. They were asked to play up to 25 minutes of music. We listened at least five or 10 minutes to everybody, but then we could tell."

Schenly recognized some applicants in the videos as winners of other major competitions. He said many of the pianists are fabulous.

"Halfway through [the screenings], Jim Giles said, 'Gee, I'm really glad I have a job,' " Schenly said.

The jury, he said, was unanimous in its choice of the first 16 or so contestants, and most of the others received at least two votes. Schenly, Giles and Sims discussed those who received only one vote.

"I'm sure all of us had a few people we wished got in," Schenly said. "The fact is, any time you have a competition, there are many more pianists than places. Most will be left out. And chances are, once you get there, you're not going to win."

Whatever the differences in their musical preferences, the jurors got along well.

"It was easier to decide whom to admit," said Schenly, "than what toppings should be on the pizzas to keep us going."

And what's next for the jurors, now that their 38-hour video marathon is over?

"We were all so wired up, and we heard so many Liszt Spanish Rhapsodies, that it's going to take a few days to recover," Schenly said.
here is the list of competitiors:

35 CONTESTANTS CHOSEN FOR 2005!

AUSTRALIA
Mr. David Fung, 21

BULGARIA
Mr. Pavlin Nechev, 25
Mr. Viktor Valkov, 24

CHINA
Ms. Jie Chen, 19
Ms. Chu-Fang Huang, 23
Mr. Xun Wang, 25
Ms. Di Wu, 20
Mr. Hong Xu, 22
Ms. Chen Xin Xu, 23
Mr. Xiang Zou, 25

FRANCE
Mr. Jonathan Benichou, 23
Ms. Sarah Lavaud, 23

GERMANY
Ms. Miao Huang, 21

HUNGARY
Mr. Marouan Benabdallah, 22

ISRAEL
Mr. Michael Namirovsky, 24

ITALY
Mr. Alessandro Taverna, 21

JAPAN
Mr. Masataka Goto, 20
Ms. Rui Shi, 21
Mr. Takashi Yamamoto, 22

KOREA
Ms. YeolEum Son, 19
Mr. Yung Wook Yoo, 27

LATVIA
Ms. Lauma Skride, 23

LITHUANIA
Mr. Andrius Zlabys, 28

RUSSIA
Mr. Alexey Chernov, 22
Mr. Stanislav Khristenko, 21
Mr. Sergey Kuznetsov, 27
Mr. Rem Urasin, 29

SERBIA
Mr. Mladen Colic, 22

SWEDEN
Mr. Martin Sturfält, 26

UKRAINE
Mr. Alexander Romanovsky, 20

USA
Mr. Ning An, 28
Ms. Inna Faliks, 26
Ms. Grace Fong, 26
Mr. Christopher Guzman, 24
Mr. Spencer Myer, 26

#434833 - 04/14/05 10:23 AM Re: Your favorite pianist who isn't a professional yet
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Mikester :

If they are not yet professionals, how might the rest of us have heard of them? If we have a favorite non-professional, how might the rest of the non-local Piano World members have heard of him/her?

I think there are very few names of pianists who would fit your criteria and who would be known to anyone except the person naming him or her.

Regards,
Writing from Paris until 15 May, 2014

#434834 - 04/14/05 11:06 AM Re: Your favorite pianist who isn't a professional yet
Mikester Offline
1000 Post Club Member

BruceD:

You're right in a lot of the competitors may not have been heard by us before. But, that said, with today's technology it is increasingly simpler to hear a plethora of professional hopefuls in competitions that are webcast live across the world. As I write this, the Liszt Competition is nearing completion, the Rubinstein Competition has just concluded, and the Van Cliburn is only a month away from commencing. They are all being webcast live over the internet. Additionally the Piano E-Competition, which is a highly regarded competition in the States as highly as the Kapell or the Bachauer, is completely digitally distributed nowadays from the recital round onwards. In fact archived videos of all the performances from last year are still available on the competition website.

With all of the technological advances today, it is possible to listen to as well as catch a glimpse of a vast number of potential rising stars in the piano world. Not to mention, the many publicly available recordings and performer-websites that currently exist that include free music samples for download to the general public.

#434835 - 04/14/05 11:17 AM Re: Your favorite pianist who isn't a professional yet
katie_dup1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I met Xiang Zou 2 months ago here in my home town. He was giving a private recital in a person's home. He's an incredibly nice, personable and well spoken individual. Further, he was kind enough to explain his interpretation of a Brahms piece he was playing and give us a little tutorial on a Bach fugue. I very much enjoyed speaking with him \:\)

Other Honens Laureates can be found at:
This Link

#434836 - 04/14/05 11:32 AM Re: Your favorite pianist who isn't a professional yet
snap_apple Offline
500 Post Club Member

this kid (bout 21 or 22) who lives here in washington named Stephen Beus...amazing young talent, very, very good pianist, hopefully he'll get more exposure

#434837 - 04/14/05 12:23 PM Re: Your favorite pianist who isn't a professional yet
SteinwayTony Offline

Loc: New York, NY
Beus is in the Cliburn Competition this year. That's decent exposure right there, but if he's a winner or even a finalist he'll get plenty of engagements.

#434838 - 04/14/05 02:08 PM Re: Your favorite pianist who isn't a professional yet
Opus_Maximus Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Robert Henry

#434839 - 04/14/05 03:14 PM Re: Your favorite pianist who isn't a professional yet
snap_apple Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SteinwayTony:
Beus is in the Cliburn Competition this year. That's decent exposure right there, but if he's a winner or even a finalist he'll get plenty of engagements. [/b]
wow, thats very cool

#434840 - 04/14/05 03:36 PM Re: Your favorite pianist who isn't a professional yet
Brendan Offline

Loc: McAllen, TX
Andrius Zlabys is a very fine pianist and I hope that he does well in both the Cliburn and Cleveland competitions. He really should have won 1st prize in the last Cleveland competition...who knows what the jury was thinking.

#434841 - 04/15/05 10:02 AM Re: Your favorite pianist who isn't a professional yet
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
i actually went to the final concerto competition of Andrius Zlabys and Soy...(? Korean girl) at the last Cleveland competition, and like his Brahms very much and thought that he might well be on his way to win and yet he was placed the 4th place of the 4 finalists...

#434842 - 04/09/06 05:28 PM Re: Your favorite pianist who isn't a professional yet
rhapsody2006 Offline

Loc: Westcoast
SEAN BAYNTUN , ME

#434843 - 04/09/06 07:24 PM Re: Your favorite pianist who isn't a professional yet
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

My teacher! Dmitri Vorobiev. \:D

He's a doctoral candidate at the University of Michigan. I have heard him play in 4 or 5 concerts, and he's fantastic.

#434844 - 04/09/06 08:19 PM Re: Your favorite pianist who isn't a professional yet
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
pianojerome,

If you pay your teacher for lessons, then he is a "professional". \:D

#434845 - 04/09/06 08:23 PM Re: Your favorite pianist who isn't a professional yet
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
 Quote:
Originally posted by LisztAddict:

If you pay your teacher for lessons, then he is a "professional". \:D [/b]
well then - I can't vote for Brendan, but I would.. \:\)

love and peace, Ă•un (apple in Estonian)

#434846 - 04/09/06 09:33 PM Re: Your favorite pianist who isn't a professional yet
Derulux Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
There's a difference between being a professional teacher and a professional performer. ;\)

If they are not yet professionals, how might the rest of us have heard of them? If we have a favorite non-professional, how might the rest of the non-local Piano World members have heard of him/her? [/b]
You could always admit that you like another member's playing and then point them to a recording of that member. ;\)

By and large, I expect this to be even more diversified than "Name your favorite pianist ever" threads...but maybe not by much.

*votes for PianoDad's son* <---At least some of you have heard him play. \:\)

#434847 - 04/09/06 09:41 PM Re: Your favorite pianist who isn't a professional yet
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

This is the only recording that I have of my teacher Dmitri Vorobiev, and unfortunately it's only a 30-second clip:

http://www.meadowmount.com/music/rach2.mov

It's a Rachmaninov Etude.

#434848 - 04/10/06 12:20 AM Re: Your favorite pianist who isn't a professional yet
PianoMajor@MSU Offline

I study with Balazs Szokolay! I'm surprised you mentioned his name!

I would definitely consider him a professional. He has given many many concerts and still to this day goes on tours around the world ( but at the same time cancels lessons lol )

I started a thread about him a few weeks ago. I'll try and find it.

-Chopin

#434849 - 04/10/06 12:22 AM Re: Your favorite pianist who isn't a professional yet
PianoMajor@MSU Offline

-Chopin

#434850 - 04/10/06 07:00 AM Re: Your favorite pianist who isn't a professional yet
cerulean5 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Hi,

Howard Na.

He was apparently a victim of blatantly unfair scoring by some judges in the International Chopin Competition this past year, along with Mei-Ting Sun.
I had the opportunity to hear him play some Russian piano music in February, prominently that of Nikolai Medtner. Wow! Amazing control of complex texture and what a profusion of tonal colors! It's hard to forget Howard's name once you've heard him play.
You'll be hearing about him within the next 2, 3 years.

--c5

#434851 - 04/10/06 01:08 PM Re: Your favorite pianist who isn't a professional yet
AndrewG Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, Colorado
All mentioned ones are professional in my book. Carl Tait, the IBM scientist(full time job) who won the Cliburn Amateur competition a few years back is one the non-professional yet outstanding pianists. Just my .02.

#434852 - 04/12/06 11:45 PM Re: Your favorite pianist who isn't a professional yet
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
 Quote:
Originally posted by cerulean5:
Howard Na.

He was apparently a victim of blatantly unfair scoring by some judges in the International Chopin Competition this past year, along with Mei-Ting Sun. [/b]
Did you yourself hear how Howard Na and Mei-Ting Sun performed in the preliminary round? Did you get to hear other contestants?

#434853 - 04/13/06 10:34 AM Re: Your favorite pianist who isn't a professional yet
cerulean5 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Hi LisztAddict,

I wish I were there at the competition myself to hear all of the contestants play. I can tell you that I followed the performances of as many constestants as I could through the webcast. Preliminary round wasn't the problem(Howard Na and Mei-Ting Sun both got through that stage fine); where there was controversy was during the First Stage. Mr. Na's performance was nothing short of fantastic. I base this on what I heard of his playing, how he compared to other contestants that I also heard, and the comments by the broadcasters of the radio program that was covering the Chopin Competition. This has all been discussed elsewhere so I won't clutter this thread, but if you want more details PM me.

Cheers,

--c5

#434854 - 04/13/06 06:08 PM Re: Your favorite pianist who isn't a professional yet
Contrapunctus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Whittier, California
How about Joyce Yang? She plays the hardest stuff ever.

#434855 - 04/14/06 07:35 AM Re: Your favorite pianist who isn't a professional yet
mmmmaestro007 Offline

Loc: australia
mmmmaestro007!
\:D ;\)

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
161 registered (accordeur, Akshay, 36251, A Guy, 50 invisible), 1537 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74248 Members
42 Forums
153588 Topics
2250981 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
give up on old acoustics and buy a digital?
by carojm36
20 minutes 9 seconds ago
I think I have a problem
by JoelW
Today at 05:02 PM
Etude in G
by Polyphonist
Today at 03:58 PM
A Piano Song With Notes In It
by Ritzycat
Today at 03:51 PM
Playing the piano again
by Mr.Wolf
Today at 03:47 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission