Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#436544 - 07/14/01 05:30 PM International Keyboard Institute and Festival
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
For anyone who is in the NYC area, I highly recommend the International Keyboard Institute at Mannes beginning Sunday July 15. I've gone for the last two years and they have a terrific variety of recitals, master classes, lectures and a piano competition. You can get all the program details at www.mannes.edu. Did any go last year and,if so,what were your favorite events? I thought the concert by Fialkowska was fantastic!

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#436545 - 07/16/01 05:59 PM Re: International Keyboard Institute and Festival
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Groton, NH
Dear pianoloverus,

Thanks very much for that info. I just went to the site and am going to try to go to the Master Class with Ruth Laredo on Wednesday.

BTW, are you a New Yorker too?

#436546 - 07/18/01 08:36 PM Re: International Keyboard Institute and Festival
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I went to Ruth Laredo's master class today and it was wonderful. The four students played Mozart, De Falla, Liszt, Schuman and Scriabin. All played very well and Ms. Laredo's critiques were informative and very enjoyable to listen to. The Scriabin etudes were especially exciting and beautiful.

Some instructional highlights for me were \:\) when she talked about phrasing in the Mozart and going for the "natural" sound of music. It is better to disregard the phrase marks in the printed music (which could be the editor's) and go with how you would sing the phrase--this is what she meant by natural; \:\) "slow and quiet does not equal expressive" (direct quote); \:\) boil it down to it's essence (my observation); \:\) when she was trying to have the student create a sense of direction in playing consecutive chords it took many attempts and still the 2nd chord didn't seem to progress onwards no matter how hard the student seemed to be trying and I realized that the problem was maybe she wasn't really hearing the *1st* chord. This is a problem that has arisen in my studies frequently in attempting to create a sense of musical direction. Before you can go anywhere you have to hear where you are now.

So it was grand. And just $10--best bargain in the City right now I'd say. The schedule at the International Keyboard Institute & Festival is very impressive with master classes, lectures and concerts all this week and next. I'm going to try to get to Ms. Laredo's concert on Sunday and also try to get to Gyorgy Sandor's master class next Wednesday.

Pianoloverus, I must again thank you for bringing this festival to my attention.

#436547 - 07/23/01 09:39 AM Re: International Keyboard Institute and Festival
pianoloverus Offline

Dear Bernard|

Glad you enjoyed the Laredo master class.If you go to any of the master classes that are not in the main auditorium, they are free!
So far I've seen Carbone, Dokovska, Mayer, Shehori, and Lateiner. All were excellent and very different from eachother. The only disappointment for me so far was the Katsaris recital. I have never been to a recital in the last 25 years where the pianist seemed so obsessed with bringing out inner voices and making huge changes every time a phrase was repeated a second time.

Pianoloverus

#436548 - 07/23/01 05:01 PM Re: International Keyboard Institute and Festival
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I also went to hear Ms. Laredo's concert on Friday evening and it was great. What a big program she played. It was a thrill to go shake her hand afterwards.

The master class held by Vladimir Shakin was fabulous. Boy, would I love to study with him --he's so philosophical (and smart! In introducing him, the Mr. Rose pointed out that though Mr. Shakin is Russian, he decided to read Shakespeare's entire works in English--because he wanted to read them in their original language.) One question he asked a student who had just played 2 of Brahm's op. 118 Intermezzi was "What is more important, beauty or truth?" (She had played them very beautifully). I almost fell off my chair that he was able to get so straight to the point he wanted with that one question. With Brahms, he said, beauty was not enough--one has to seek the truth in the music and express it. Wow.

#436549 - 07/26/01 10:19 PM Re: International Keyboard Institute and Festival
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I am wondering if pianoloverus or anyone else was at last nights recital and if so what were your impressions.

I was there and it was a big program. The pianists were Rosenbaum, Shakin, Shehori, Carbone, Kovalsky, and Mayer.

I must say my favorite was Carbone who played DeFalla's "Fantasia Baetica". IMHO he was the most musical of those on the program. Shakin and Shehori were fine, but a bit technical... I would have preferred a little more musical feeling. Kovalsky who played Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition" is to be commended for committing the whole piece to memory. He is a very strong player and gets a big sound when he wants it. He was my next favorite player on the program. Steven Mayer is also very proficient but his pieces were all "show" pieces including List/Horowitz "Rokoczy March". I'm afraid these sort of pieces usually leave me wanting for music. Rosenbaum's playing was not to my liking. He played Mozart's "Adagio in B Minor" and "Rondo in D Major" and played them both as museum pieces... Mozart, who is so full of joy and beauty! They were covered with a full .5" of dust the way he played them. So many beautiful phrases just passed right by without any shaping. That I didn't like.

#436550 - 07/27/01 07:26 PM Re: International Keyboard Institute and Festival
pianoloverus Offline

I also attended the marathon recital. I thought Rosenbaum's Mozart was absolutely fantastic with incredible beautiful phrasing, tone, and interpretation. I disliked all the Tchaikoksky Op. 51 pieces Shakin played (I'm talking about the music, not his performance).I thought Kovalsky's Pictures were exciting and very interesting because of all the little textual changes he made but I was already getting tired because the concert was so long, around 2.75 hours! I especially liked Mayer's performance which I had heard him rehearse in between pupils at his master class. In that master class he worked with a pupil on Beethoven's Op. 109 and believe me, even though he chose (very appropriately IMHO) to play encore-like pieces at the end of this concert, the master class showed him to be an incredibly sensitive, articulate, and musically brilliant pianist.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Studio monitors for a digital piano
by diegopefm
34 minutes 52 seconds ago
Has anyone tried out wireless USB hubs for software pianos?
by Allan W.
Today at 02:34 AM
What books do you use for teaching beginners?
by Daffodil
Today at 12:54 AM
Help buying digital piano for my son
by roomservicetaco
Yesterday at 11:54 PM
Headphone impedance for DP90se
by lunobili
Yesterday at 10:29 PM
Who's Online
59 registered (bennevis, BearLake, chrisbell, ChoPraTs, BB Player, 13 invisible), 813 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76250 Members
42 Forums
157619 Topics
2315166 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission