Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
85 registered (Auver, Artur Gajewski, ando, angga888, 22 invisible), 1098 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#436758 - 12/08/07 07:54 PM Music Minus One. Some questions...
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Haverhill, Massachusetts
I recently saw that Sheetmusicplus has these on sale this month for 33% off. I was looking through the collection and listening to the samples, but I really can't tell the quality.

How good are these? I noticed that some a remasters of very old recordings and the slower speed, practice recordings, are digitally slowed down.

Is the music distorted?

Is it easy to match the music, tuning-wise, with the piano, or does everything sound out of tune?

Is the music easy to read? As in legibility; not difficulty.

If they're any good, I was thinking about the 2 Mozart Quintets, Schubert's Trios and Quintet, and a couple of Mozart Piano Concertos.

Thanks for the input,

John

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#436759 - 12/09/07 10:44 AM Re: Music Minus One. Some questions...
BruceD Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
John :

The only one of these I have so far is the newer edition (2005) of the Grieg A minor Piano Concerto including two CDs and score.

In the 20% reduced speed version, I sense no distortion of sound; it's simply about 20% slower than "normal" performance tempo.

My piano is tuned to A440 so there is no tuning conflict between the pitch of my piano and the pitch of the recording.

The "new" print edition of the score of the Grieg, edited by the performer on the CD, Milena Millova, is a well-printed, sharp, clear text with the (slight?) advantage of having the second piano part printed in slightly smaller type than the solo part.

Another couple of features of this set - and I quote from the MMO edition :

"Where the performer begins a piece solo or without an introduction from the accompanying instrument, we have provided a set of subtle taps before the movement as appropriate to help you enter with the proper tempo. Subtle taps have also been added at appropriate points to facilitate synchronization with the orchestra during tempo changes. These taps are in the right channel and can be diminished or exaggerated by using your stereo system's balance control."

"Chapter stops on your CD are conveniently located throughout the piece at the beginnings of practice sections, and are cross-refereneced in the score. This should help you quickly find a desired place in the music as you learn the piece."

The allowance for cadenza time is a little more problematic, but manageable. If you wanted to do a formal performance with MMO, and if you have found that your timing of your candenza doesn't coincide with the timing allowed on the CD, you would need a second person to "pause" the recorded performance for the cadenza and continue the "play" after you have completed the solo cadenza to cue in the orchestra again.

For what it is, however, and looking only at this one example, MMO seems to be a good idea.

I'm currently working on the second movement of the Chopin F minor Concerto, and I'm about to order the MMO version for practice. This is going to be interesting, given that much of the second movement of this Chopin concerto has solo recitative-like passages where timing is somewhat flexible, to say the least, accompanied by string tremolos. It's going to be interesting to see how our mutual timings coincide - or don't!

Regards,

#436760 - 12/09/07 12:29 PM Re: Music Minus One. Some questions...
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thank you, Bruce for the comments. This makes me want to look into them a bit further especially for the chamber music, which I really love. The comment on the cadenzas made me think a bit because I was wondering about that myself. The tapping shouldn't bother me. I've read in other places with complaints about it, but in reality it's good to have because there's no eye contact! This gives a sense of bearings on where to be and when to start.

I shouldn't have any problem with my piano either since it is also at A440.

The F-minor concerto is beautiful and quite difficult! I sense a lot of rubato in the 2nd movement when I've read through it so I wonder too how your timings will be. ;\)

Take care,

John

#436761 - 12/11/07 10:26 AM Re: Music Minus One. Some questions...
Robert Kenessy Offline

Loc: Enebyberg Sweden
I am looking for Bartók's first piano concerto in a music minus one version (orchestra only). Does anyone know whether it is for sale anywhere?

.. it seems to me that the inherent nature [of the piano tone] becomes really expressive only by means of the present tendency to use the piano as a percussion instrument - Béla Bartók, early 1927.

#436762 - 12/11/07 03:55 PM Re: Music Minus One. Some questions...
BruceD Online   content

Music Minus One (as opposed to a music minus one version) has not prepared a recording of the Bartok First Piano Concerto, according to their website.

Regards,

#436763 - 12/13/07 08:49 AM Re: Music Minus One. Some questions...
gmf001 Offline

Loc: Uxbridge, ON, Canada
for those using MMO or other recordings to play along with, you might be interested in some software I stumbled into a while back. It's called the "Amazing Slow Downer" Rather than rely on just one slower speed performance that you often find with MMO, Amazing Slow Downer can either slow down or increase the speed of any digital music file in increments of 0.1% without affecting pitch. it can also adjust the pitch up or down in 1 cent increments, therefore allowing you to match to any tuning irregularities between the recording and your local instruments. It's available for both Win and Mac platforms. Quite an interesting tool. I've used it not only for a 'play along' with MMO but also to analyze exactly where notes fall in complex passages. You can slow things way down to listen to details. As you get further from the norm you do get some algorithmic challenges, but it's really a great practise tool.

http://www.ronimusic.com/

#436764 - 12/13/07 09:47 AM Re: Music Minus One. Some questions...
BruceD Online   content

John :

Further to my earlier post on this thread:

I did order the MMO version of the Chopin F minor Concerto, and the score appears to be an identical copy of the Schirmer (ed. Joseffy, © 1918) edition, except for the print style of the title on the first page.

Regards,

#436765 - 12/14/07 11:16 AM Re: Music Minus One. Some questions...
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thank you, Bruce for the update. I was planning on ordering my Mozart Quintets today.

John

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Wanted to give jazz a chance, reverting back to classical
by Artur Gajewski
11/27/14 03:31 AM
anyone... listening to Greek Radio?
by Nikolas
11/27/14 12:38 AM
Weber piano sonatas: a "hidden" treasure
by jeffreyjones
11/27/14 12:32 AM
Yamaha Avantgrand N1 manufacturing date
by farain
11/26/14 11:12 PM
Is it really possible to ignore fingerings?
by bjorn of brekkukot
11/26/14 08:29 PM
Forum Stats
77065 Members
42 Forums
159387 Topics
2341344 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission